• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Terrific hunt today-Barber Quarter, Barber and Merc dimes, IHP

CharlieT84

Elite Member
Great hunt with friend Tim today. I received a choppy signal on the Nox going from 21 to 25 then 28 then back down and staying around 24/25. I carved out the plug and stuck the pointer in. In the loose dirt at the bottom/side of the hole I had a signal, I pushed the dirt aside with my hand and I was looking at a 1942D Merc. SWEET! Checked the hole with the pin pointer- nothing. Stood up and rescanned the hole with the Nox. As I swung over the holes edge towards the outside I had a nice tone and a 31/32 reading. No way I thought. I made another round plug touching the other open hole and scanned the new hole with the pointer. Pushed the dirt aside and found the quarter. At first I thought it was a clad as it was so dark. But then after cleaning a bit saw the date- 1899. Fantastic! A Barber quarter and Merc dime about a foot and a half apart. My day was made! My friend did well also, a 1902 Barber dime and 188? IHP. He also found the pictured foreign coin.

Attachments

• IMG_1389 r.jpg
    IMG_1389 r.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1383 r.jpg
    IMG_1383 r.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1384 r.jpg
    IMG_1384 r.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1391 r.jpg
    IMG_1391 r.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1392 r.jpg
    IMG_1392 r.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_1393 r.jpg
    IMG_1393 r.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_1394 r.jpg
    IMG_1394 r.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1387 r tims coins.jpg
    IMG_1387 r tims coins.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1385 r tim china coin.jpg
    IMG_1385 r tim china coin.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 424
What ?? And east coast post with NO large cent ? Tsk tsk, you guys are slippin' ! :sissyfight:

Just kidding , nice barber quarter, and I like the in-situ reveal shot :)

What ?? And east coast post with NO large cent ? Tsk tsk, you guys are slippin' ! :sissyfight:

Just kidding , nice barber quarter, and I like the in-situ reveal shot :)

I have only found four large cents since I started detecting a year ago March. They do seem to be getting harder to find Tom. :p

Very nice, congrats on the silver. Fine hunting there. I dug a couple Japanese silvers a couple years ago. I believe Toy Soldier id them for me. Good luck, Mark

Pre-war coin

Hello,

The Japanese coin was minted in 1939. Can't tell what the denomination as we have to see the other side.

A number of pre-Pacific war and Pacific war coins were made from a variety of metals. Is it aluminum ? It's very strange to me but certain denominations many war-year coins I often came across were made of aluminum during the war years when aluminum. zinc, copper were deemed a stratigic material for all countries producing aircraft. Never ask why.

Probably already researched it ...... but

Nice finds,

Semper Fi

I left Japan roughly 20 years ago but at the time I left, they were still making 1 yen coins out of aluminium.

I have only found four large cents since I started detecting a year ago March. They do seem to be getting harder to find Tom. :p

Poor little east coast hunter. He gets *only* 4 in a year, eh ? I've been at this for pushing 45 yrs. (since I was a young teenager), and have only found 3 (three) is those nearly 45 yrs. 2 of them in CA, and one on an east coast trip (so I guess that technically makes it 2 in 45 yrs.).

They simply didn't get out to CA in any appreciable quantities. But the bust coins and super early seateds (and even some east coast minted gold coins) did make it out here. So for example, bust coins and 1840s seateds show up out here , yet hardly any of your LC's. My theory is that since cargo space and weight was at a premium, that someone getting ready to make the permanent move west, would pack halves, quarters, and dimes perhaps. Because why carry 50 LC's when you can pack a single half ? or 25 LC's when you can pack a single seated quarter ? Heck, I've gotten more east coast minted gold coins (P mints) than LC's ! Doh ! (Because why pack 500 LC's when you can bring a single $5 gold piece ?)

Poor little east coast hunter. He gets *only* 4 in a year, eh ? I've been at this for pushing 45 yrs. (since I was a young teenager), and have only found 3 (three) is those nearly 45 yrs. 2 of them in CA, and one on an east coast trip (so I guess that technically makes it 2 in 45 yrs.).

They simply didn't get out to CA in any appreciable quantities. But the bust coins and super early seateds (and even some east coast minted gold coins) did make it out here. So for example, bust coins and 1840s seateds show up out here , yet hardly any of your LC's. My theory is that since cargo space and weight was at a premium, that someone getting ready to make the permanent move west, would pack halves, quarters, and dimes perhaps. Because why carry 50 LC's when you can pack a single half ? or 25 LC's when you can pack a single seated quarter ? Heck, I've gotten more east coast minted gold coins (P mints) than LC's ! Doh ! (Because why pack 500 LC's when you can bring a single $5 gold piece ?)

I mean there is a reason there is a trail of !!!! people dumped on their way out as they figured out how much weight they were really pulling. :laughing:

Hello,

The Japanese coin was minted in 1939. Can't tell what the denomination as we have to see the other side.

A number of pre-Pacific war and Pacific war coins were made from a variety of metals. Is it aluminum ? It's very strange to me but certain denominations many war-year coins I often came across were made of aluminum during the war years when aluminum. zinc, copper were deemed a stratigic material for all countries producing aircraft. Never ask why.

Probably already researched it ...... but

Nice finds,

Semper Fi

Thank you for the info and it is aluminum. I did look it up as well and confirm it is from 1939.

Great hunt with friend Tim today. I received a choppy signal on the Nox going from 21 to 25 then 28 then back down and staying around 24/25. I carved out the plug and stuck the pointer in. In the loose dirt at the bottom/side of the hole I had a signal, I pushed the dirt aside with my hand and I was looking at a 1942D Merc. SWEET! Checked the hole with the pin pointer- nothing. Stood up and rescanned the hole with the Nox. As I swung over the holes edge towards the outside I had a nice tone and a 31/32 reading. No way I thought. I made another round plug touching the other open hole and scanned the new hole with the pointer. Pushed the dirt aside and found the quarter. At first I thought it was a clad as it was so dark. But then after cleaning a bit saw the date- 1899. Fantastic! A Barber quarter and Merc dime about a foot and a half apart. My day was made! My friend did well also, a 1902 Barber dime and 188? IHP. He also found the pictured foreign coin.

Great hunting, and nice report Charlie! Looks like your on an excellent location (just read your more recent post from the same location, too)! Seems like you're getting a good ear for the "iffy" signals with the Equinox also...the machine really does do a nice job helping to sniff out targets that got skipped/missed in the past.

Great hunting, and nice report Charlie! Looks like your on an excellent location...
Thanks Ben. My friend and I are both surprised at the silver we are now finding as we have been over this area before not finding as much... slowing down and smoothly using a short wiggle method is helping out.
And yes, yesterday's hunt was unreal- 9 silvers, crazy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom