Need some sand scoop help please...

Diabolik

Elite Member
So I am going to be taking my first beach trip since I started detecting and I’d like to give it a go. I’ve been watching videos and looking around on different sites and I am just not sure which route to go. Seeing ones with different hole sizes, different sized heads, different angles etc. The only thing I have seen I know I’d like to have is the smaller upright handle near the head. Seems like that is helpful when shaking out the sand. I don’t need a top of the line one as I will only be using on vacation for now but I don’t want an overly heavy piece of junk that is going to rust up the first time I use it either.

Hoping you all might have some hints or suggestions from your experience.

Thanks!

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this. If you search the forums for scoops you'll see numerous discussions on the subject.

I use a Stealth 720i hybrid scoop. It is heavy but it works very well. You can get the carbon fiber handle to save weight. I haven't had any problem with rusting.

http://www.stealthscoop.com/

Cliff

I recommend a scoop with 1/2 inch holes so the junk will actually come out when shaking.
I own a stavr evroexcavator, it's awesome! And it's stainless steel.👍

Last edited:
I used to own an old all metal steel scoop with 1/2 wire mesh at the end till it broke from old age. It was only 5 inches in diameter but was adequate. It was a two piece travel type. They cost $100. Now.

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this. If you search the forums for scoops you'll see numerous discussions on the subject.

I use a Stealth 720i hybrid scoop. It is heavy but it works very well. You can get the carbon fiber handle to save weight. I haven't had any problem with rusting.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

Yes, I’ve seen some of the discussions as well. I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything obvious. I see guys operating them with their bare feet so I am guessing digging down in just sand with no gravel or anything is pretty easy. Having one that is lighter could certainly be helpful too. Hole sizes in the scoop were another thing. Should you get all like half inch? Some look like they only have really small holes at the very bottom which I am guessing keeps finds from falling out. Wet sand looks like a challenge to shake out so I am guessing that is where the larger holes come in?

Thanks Cliff,

Yes, I’ve seen some of the discussions as well. I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything obvious. I see guys operating them with their bare feet so I am guessing digging down in just sand with no gravel or anything is pretty easy. Having one that is lighter could certainly be helpful too. Hole sizes in the scoop were another thing. Should you get all like half inch? Some look like they only have really small holes at the very bottom which I am guessing keeps finds from falling out. Wet sand looks like a challenge to shake out so I am guessing that is where the larger holes come in?

Wet sand, dump it and spread it with your foot real quick. You will find it faster.

If your in the water , shake out the sand in it. Wet sand , shake it in the water filled hole you just dug. Damp sand on the slope , dump out scoop and a light soccer style sweep with your foot over the pile to knock it down. Then pinpoint with your detector and small scoop retrieval and shake. Seldom ever will I have to bend my back over picking out a target. It's not only about the scoop you choose , but being proficient in the retrieval process that is equally important.

Price was a factor for me when I bought my first scoop, so I went with the Quest Scoopal. I bought it through Serious Detecting on eBay. It set me back less than $120 with the eBay bucks I had.

One of the reasons I got it, besides that it's stainless steel, is that the rod detaches into two pieces for easy packing. You mentioned that you're on vacation so portability may be a factor.

My honest review is that is a great scoop for the price. It hasn't rusted yet and I've used it a lot over the last 4 months.

Weight is probably on the heavy side (haven't tried any carbon fiber scoops to compare), but you get used to it quickly. If you get the pistol grip attachment for the handle, it's more than manageable.

Only negative is that I've had to retighten the nuts that attach the scoop to the handle as they have a tendency to loosen a little with a lot of use.

Other than that, it's an ideal first scoop.

If your in the water , shake out the sand in it. Wet sand , shake it in the water filled hole you just dug. Damp sand on the slope , dump out scoop and a light soccer style sweep with your foot over the pile to knock it down. Then pinpoint with your detector and small scoop retrieval and shake. Seldom ever will I have to bend my back over picking out a target. It's not only about the scoop you choose , but being proficient in the retrieval process that is equally important.

Thanks KOB, I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos of guys beach hunting and been studying what some of them do. I can see that you want to have to squat down as little as possible. Makes good sense.

Here is one of the scoops I am considering. These are made right here in PA. For now, I’ll probably only get to use this once a year so I don’t want to go too overboard. I just bought detector #3 last night so now I’ve got another mouth to feed. :roll:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/762274...ted-states?ref=shop_home_active_2&frs=1&sca=1

Thanks KOB, I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos of guys beach hunting and been studying what some of them do. I can see that you want to have to squat down as little as possible. Makes good sense.

Here is one of the scoops I am considering. These are made right here in PA. For now, I’ll probably only get to use this once a year so I don’t want to go too overboard. I just bought detector #3 last night so now I’ve got another mouth to feed. :roll:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/762274...ted-states?ref=shop_home_active_2&frs=1&sca=1

In all reality , it doesn't matter much what scoop you choose. Your only planning on hunting a few times a year. But personally I prefer a pointed scoop.

I started out with a 5 inch scoop with a wire mesh bottom. It was barely adequate on the dry sand. then the wet sand worked me hard because of the number of scoops it took to get to the target. Targets tend to be deeper in the wet. then i tried the water. Scoop was totally inadequate. I went to a large scoop to make getting the target much easier.

Scoop size can make a real difference in how quickly you retrieve the target. Will you be working dry, Wet or in the water all make a difference.

The machine you use will determine where you will be successful. A lot of machines do not like the mineralization of the salt water and make it real hard to get them to work on the wet and unusable in the water.

I bought my daughter in law a stainless steel scoop for around a hundred bucks. Put a fiberglass handle in it and she has enjoyed it the couple of times a year that she comes to visit.

I started out with a 5 inch scoop with a wire mesh bottom. It was barely adequate on the dry sand. then the wet sand worked me hard because of the number of scoops it took to get to the target. Targets tend to be deeper in the wet. then i tried the water. Scoop was totally inadequate. I went to a large scoop to make getting the target much easier.

Scoop size can make a real difference in how quickly you retrieve the target. Will you be working dry, Wet or in the water all make a difference.

The machine you use will determine where you will be successful. A lot of machines do not like the mineralization of the salt water and make it real hard to get them to work on the wet and unusable in the water.

I bought my daughter in law a stainless steel scoop for around a hundred bucks. Put a fiberglass handle in it and she has enjoyed it the couple of times a year that she comes to visit.

Thanks, Good information. When you say 5 inch assume you are talking about the width? They all seem to range from 5 to 7 although some of the better ones appear to go bigger. Guessing if the scoop gets too big the hauling out large loads of wet sand up can get tiresome too?

Cage/wire mesh scoops are krap imo. Maybe good for a child with an entry level detector at best.
Buy once, cry once.

I would suggest a wide one...at least 7 inches. I made that mistake the 1st time and got a 5 inch wide one...it took forever to get the target...lot's of frustration. Now I have a 8 inch wide scoop and it's much better.

Cliff

I bought one of these (Stealth 720i hybrid scoop) with the ash handle and I mounted a Robohandle to it also. Wow how about built like a tank. I figured I needed a pointed one for gravel in the creeks around here. Tried it in clay/gravel and failed to recover any targets ( my fault) I will get my first beach detect armed with this scoop next week if I am lucky. So while I can't give you my experience with it as I really have none yet good reviews led me to buy this one so I thought I would throw it out there.

I bought one of these (Stealth 720i hybrid scoop) with the ash handle and I mounted a Robohandle to it also. Wow how about built like a tank. I figured I needed a pointed one for gravel in the creeks around here. Tried it in clay/gravel and failed to recover any targets ( my fault) I will get my first beach detect armed with this scoop next week if I am lucky. So while I can't give you my experience with it as I really have none yet good reviews led me to buy this one so I thought I would throw it out there.
I like mine so far. It has had several trips to the salt and I dig deep with it. It still looks new. The only thing I would change is the weight. That ash handle has been durable but it is tough to carry for a long day. I found a way to hook it on my belt that let's my hand rest and it is easy to get when I need it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I598GX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xOUkFbN9JHDZ3

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom