Disappointed...until I checked one off my list!

Foragist

Forum Supporter
So a few days ago, I was detecting a street tearout in a mid 1800s neighborhood, and was kind of disappointed at the lack of old coins or relics. There were very few. A small(modern) .925 silver ring saved the day. An old pocket watch bezel was teasing me into hunting harder. For coins, I only managed 5 or 6 pennies and one clad dime. No silvers. Four of the pennies were wheat pennies, though. A blue marble was in the hole with one, so that was cool. This was the best opportunity I've had in a while to get on some older digs, so these finds were nice, but a bit disappointing. I let the few coins set neglected for a few days. Tonight, I decided to put them away and check the dates. First wheat cent I looked at was 1909! First year wheatie! Ok, but I bet there's no VDB on the back, of course. It was dirt encrusted, so I couldn't tell. I did some cleaning and checked again...V.D.B.! The earliest of the first year wheats! My first V.D.B. too! So I take it all back. Not disappointed after all. :D
The other dates were 1925 D, 1934, and 1953 D.

Attachments

• DSCN3135.jpg
    DSCN3135.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 516
  • DSCN3131.jpg
    DSCN3131.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN3125.jpg
    DSCN3125.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 472
What a find! The anticipation of finally having access to a good site - and then the dismay of not finding much... I have an idea what you're talking about there. But one little find can change everything, and I'm glad it has for you! :thumbsup: It's not common to see a V.D.B. posted - congratulations! The silver ring is nice, too.

P.S. I like artfully articulated sentences such as, "An old pocket watch bezel was teasing me into hunting harder." :grin:

Last edited:
I used to dream about finding a coin like that as a teenager...with the S of course! Nice find!

Congrats on the VDB Foragist. Its in awesome shape. I found one earlier this year but nowhere near as nice as that one. You know, somebody got upset over ol VDB putting his initials on the coin and had it removed so why in 1916 AW put his initials on the face no less of the Merc and nothing was said and they remained there till the last in 45. Just thinkin out loud. Nice hunt, good job on the sterling and cool marble. Good luck, Mark

Congratulations!
That one is still on my bucket list:yes:
Thanks Mat. I hope you dig one...just as soon as I dig a fatty IH or flying eagle. :lol:
Great find, the only thing better would be an S mintmark.
Oh, man, wouldn't that be something? Then we'd be talking big $$$!

Nope. Ain't gonna happen. We don't allow our key date S mints to go east of the Mississippi. :sissyfight:
Of course it's not "allowed". Fortunately though, there were a lot of traveling rule breakers in the old days. Keepin' the dream alive over here! :yes:
Very nice Foragist, I've yet to dig a VDB, congrats!
Thank you. Let's hope you get one soon, and I get to pull a Morgan! OK? Deal?

What a find! The anticipation of finally having access to a good site - and then the dismay of not finding much... I have an idea what you're talking about there. But one little find can change everything, and I'm glad it has for you! :thumbsup: It's not common to see a V.D.B. posted - congratulations! The silver ring is nice, too.

P.S. I like artfully articulated sentences such as, "An old pocket watch bezel was teasing me into hunting harder." :grin:
Yeah, all that freshly exposed dirt, surrounded by a community of big, elaborate Victorian houses in a well aged part of town had me gleefully anticipating a hefty abundance of silver, gold, and things of old. The reality, it seemed, replaced the hefty abundance with a mere pittance. My hopeful enthusiasm lessened to a feeling more closely aligned with a resignation in defeat. Fortune, meanwhile, was indeed smiling upon my troubled soul, unnoticed. The revelation came days later, as I recovered from my unappreciative status to take stock of the treasure I did recover. Funny how that works. Thanks Chelsea!

I used to dream about finding a coin like that as a teenager...with the S of course! Nice find!
Keep dreaming...I know I will! :lol: Thanks.

Woot! Nice find- congrats!
Thank you. Woot Woot!
Congrats on the VDB! They are tough to find for sure. Good luck out there!
They must be! Thank you and GL back at ya.

That’s a nice, pronounced VDB!
I am so glad it's not really toasted! Thanks!

Congrats on the VDB Foragist. Its in awesome shape. I found one earlier this year but nowhere near as nice as that one. You know, somebody got upset over ol VDB putting his initials on the coin and had it removed so why in 1916 AW put his initials on the face no less of the Merc and nothing was said and they remained there till the last in 45. Just thinkin out loud. Nice hunt, good job on the sterling and cool marble. Good luck, Mark
Thanks Mark. I read about this a little. Mr Brenner first put his name "BRENNER" on the proposed model. It was reduced to V.D.B., and out went the new ONE CENT coins to the discerning public. I know other artists have their initials on other coins, but for some reason, someone just could not tolerate those initials, and were able to get the approval to remove them from further minting. I think maybe Victor D. Brenner had both friends and enemies in high places.

Congrats on the VDB wheatie, awesome! That marble and the rest of the finds are nice too. It's crazy how some of the wheat pennies are rare or hard to find and we have a tendency to want the shiny stuff.

Congrats on the VDB wheatie, awesome! That marble and the rest of the finds are nice too. It's crazy how some of the wheat pennies are rare or hard to find and we have a tendency to want the shiny stuff.

Guilty. I often dig deep penny signals reluctantly, but a silver signal gives me high hopes. This helps, and reminds me of a good reason to dig those pennies. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom