Averaging OVER 100 MPG as of today !!!!

GKL

Forum Supporter
The display on our 2020 Prius Prime XLE shows the current average MPG
(the effective MPG averaged between electric only driving and hybrid driving)

....and as of today it went OVER 100 MPG and still increasing !!!!
(the web site says it can get as high an average as 133 MPG)
(this is with 455 miles)
(also note the gas gauge being over halfway - and it is still the VERY FIRST tank of gas we had from the dealership on June 8th !)
......455 miles and still over half a tank of gas !
2020_Prius_Prime_MPG_with_455_miles.jpg

.....for those who have not seen it yet, here is a link to the thread I made telling about our 2020 Prius Prime XLE, which is a plug-in hybrid that can drive in pure electric only mode or in the hybrid mode using both gas and electric.......

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=279749

charging_the_battery2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!

I thought I was doing good with my 4x4 Silverado at 21.5 mpg, and it’s only a 4-cylinder.

Awesome!

I thought I was doing good with my 4x4 Silverado at 21.5 mpg, and it’s only a 4-cylinder.

Thanks, after getting the MPG we are now we are spoiled, it would be very hard to even consider buying a regular car again if we did want to get another car.

KT's Royal Steed, a Honda Ruckus 49 cc scooter, gets 90 mpg, but would get 100 if KT could bother to lose some Royal Poundage! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:laughing: 90 MPG not bad even for a scooter, but I guess it would be a challenge if you wanted to take your family for a ride on it :laughing:

Not sure how loud your scooter is, but it reminded me how quiet our car is when in electric only mode, a friend of ours was astonished when watching our car drive away and said it was so amazingly quiet, could only hear the very low sound of the wheels rolling across the pavement and nothing else :shock:

Important: don't confuse the Prius Prime with the regular Prius

Thought I'd better clarify something for those who might not be aware that the "Prius Prime" is NOT the same as a regular "Prius".

In some regions of the U.S. you might only see ads for the regular "Prius" and the "Prius Prime" might be harder to find and even have to be ordered.

The regular "Prius" is a hybrid, but it is NOT a "plug-in" hybrid and does NOT have the ability to drive in an "electric only" mode. Being a hybrid it does get better MPG than a regular car, but nothing like the "Prius Prime".

The "Prius Prime" is a plug-in hybrid and has the ability to drive in an "electric only" mode, or you can choose to use the hybrid mode if going on a longer trip beyond the range of the "electric only" mode.

You can plug the "Prius Prime" into your regular 115volt household current to recharge the battery used for the "electric only" mode. (also, when you break to slow down and/or stop, it uses regenerative breaking that actually converts the breaking energy into current to put a little charge back on the battery even when you're driving)

Thought I'd better clarify something for those who might not be aware that the "Prius Prime" is NOT the same as a regular "Prius".

In some regions of the U.S. you might only see ads for the regular "Prius" and the "Prius Prime" might be harder to find and even have to be ordered.

The regular "Prius" is a hybrid, but it is NOT a "plug-in" hybrid and does NOT have the ability to drive in an "electric only" mode. Being a hybrid it does get better MPG than a regular car, but nothing like the "Prius Prime".

The "Prius Prime" is a plug-in hybrid and has the ability to drive in an "electric only" mode, or you can choose to use the hybrid mode if going on a longer trip beyond the range of the "electric only" mode.

You can plug the "Prius Prime" into your regular 115volt household current to recharge the battery used for the "electric only" mode. (also, when you break to slow down and/or stop, it uses regenerative breaking that actually converts the breaking energy into current to put a little charge back on the battery even when you're driving)

They are now doing that same thing on a lot of electric scooters and electric bicycles and a few electric motorcycles.....that is recovering some energy from breaking to put back in the batteries, but so far most of the less than $3000 ones can only go up to 27 mph and only for an hour or so. Totally impractical for KT who likes to zip along at a closer speed to city traffic...up to 37 mph, enough to get a speeding ticket in town where the limit is 35 mph! No, KT has not gotten one...yet! :lol::lol: But was stopped once by a local constable, just checking to see if His Majesty had a regular driver's license, as required in this state to ride a scooter. It seems a lot of drivers, when they get their DL suspended, buy a scooter, thinking they need no license at all to ride one...Wrong!

It will probably charge also when coasting down hills.

Was working at the Ford dealership with the mechanics for the reserves the past few weeks. The guy in charge there was telling me in the next 10 years or so Ford is not even going to be making a gas engine anymore. Also the batteries alone on the new electric Mustang coming out are $20k and that doesn't even factor labor for replacing them. $20k will buy you a lot of gas if your battery goes bad. Just glad I work from home these days for the most part.

The scooter is quiet enough that KT can start it and ride off without awakening the sleeping Queen, and her bedroom is next to and above where the scooter is stored! :laughing::laughing:

:laughing:

They are now doing that same thing on a lot of electric scooters and electric bicycles and a few electric motorcycles.....that is recovering some energy from breaking to put back in the batteries, but so far most of the less than $3000 ones can only go up to 27 mph and only for an hour or so. Totally impractical for KT who likes to zip along at a closer speed to city traffic...up to 37 mph, enough to get a speeding ticket in town where the limit is 35 mph! No, KT has not gotten one...yet! :lol::lol: But was stopped once by a local constable, just checking to see if His Majesty had a regular driver's license, as required in this state to ride a scooter. It seems a lot of drivers, when they get their DL suspended, buy a scooter, thinking they need no license at all to ride one...Wrong!

You reminded me of another point, even in the EV (all electric) mode the Prime can go as high as 84 MPH, but we are usually only on high speed roads when we are traveling out of our local area to the nearest big city about 20 miles away and would have it in the hybrid mode on the expressway then anyhow to save the electric for local driving. (and the expressway only goes up to 70MPH speed limit in some areas)

I've never had to drive it that fast but it should automatically (and seamlessly) switch to hybrid mode if you have it in EV and exceed 84MPH.

Also, if you have it in EV mode and use up the EV battery while driving it will automatically switch to hybrid mode. You can switch back and forth manually while driving between EV and hybrid mode and not notice anything, it is designed to switch seamlessly and smoothly even while driving.

The highest speed limit in our small town is the 45MPH on the bypass and the EV mode handles that easily. In fact, the response in EV mode is more immediate than hybrid mode simply due to the instant response of an electric motor.

It will probably charge also when coasting down hills.

Good point, glad you mentioned that, I have read that even coasting down hills puts a charge back on the battery !

Last edited:

I was going to ask about what your house's electric infrastructure needs to provide to the charger. So it's just a 115V outlet. But is it a 15A or a 20A circuit that is needed?

I was going to ask about what your house's electric infrastructure needs to provide to the charger. So it's just a 115V outlet. But is it a 15A or a 20A circuit that is needed?

I've heard household voltage referred to as both 115V and 120V so besides that, they say 15A and say a dedicated line is "preferred", but I think that is because you obviously don't want a window air conditioner running on the same circuit while you're charging.

We had an outdoor outlet put in next to where we park the car (not supposed to use extension cords) and the electrician ran a dedicated line right from the box on the pole outside our home where our electric meter is, the box actually had extra available connections for such additions.

I did have wire used that is rated for 20A though it wasn't a must, also used a 15A ground fault outlet as recommended. (and a hinged rain-proof cover that can close and keep the outlet covered even when the cord is plugged in)

The Prime is designed so people can charge their car even if it's raining or snowing, but they recommend not charging during a thunderstorm for obvious reasons.

Anyhow here is a link to the brochure that covers that as well as a screenshot of that page:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47C92U/pdf/OM47C92U.pdf

Prime_charging.jpg

Here is a link that includes the owners manual:

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals/prius-prime/2020?garagePrefVehicle=0&garageModelName=Prius%20Prime&garageYearValue=2020&addToVehicleList=false&remRecentVehicle=false&csrfToken=1579992716963159605361891516937

Note: we got the XLE trim of the 2020 Prime, there are 3 trims available at different prices with different levels of features, LE, XLE, and Limited.

We felt the XLE had the features we wanted (including the 11.6" display) and it wasn't a great deal more than the LE trim, but the Limited trim was a lot more and we felt we didn't need those features that much to pay that much more.

Here is a link to compare the differences between the 3 trims:

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/2020/

(on the page at the above link scroll down a little and click on where it says "COMPARE MODELS")

GKL, You are happy with the mileage as we can see. The question is , How much did your monthly power bill go up when you added the car to the load?

GKL, You are happy with the mileage as we can see. The question is , How much did your monthly power bill go up when you added the car to the load?

Good question bowwinkles, I just asked my wife (she is knowledgeable on financial stuff, even has a degree on it :lol:)

She says we pay about 13 1/2 cents per kilowatt hour for electricity.

So even when we need to fully recharge the battery from being drained, it only costs less than just 81 cents per charge !

We usually charge once per week, and occasionally twice, so even 6 charges per month would only add less than $5 a month !

.....thanks for bringing that up, I didn't think it was a major expense, but after seeing how low it really is that made me feel pretty good :lol:

I have even heard of an experimental version of the Prime being tested that has thin solar panels on the hood and roof that would reduce the amount of time it needed to be plugged in to recharge.

I have heard of at least one public recharging station equipped with enough solar panels to to be able to recharge cars using solar energy, that setup might be too pricey for the average individual homeowner right now though.

Millage

The display on our 2020 Prius Prime XLE shows the current average MPG
(the effective MPG averaged between electric only driving and hybrid driving)

....and as of today it went OVER 100 MPG and still increasing !!!!
(the web site says it can get as high an average as 133 MPG)
(this is with 455 miles)
(also note the gas gauge being over halfway - and it is still the VERY FIRST tank of gas we had from the dealership on June 8th !)
......455 miles and still over half a tank of gas !
View attachment 469817

.....for those who have not seen it yet, here is a link to the thread I made telling about our 2020 Prius Prime XLE, which is a plug-in hybrid that can drive in pure electric only mode or in the hybrid mode using both gas and electric.......

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=279749

View attachment 469819

How many of those 455 miles did your wife let you drive ?:laughing:

I've heard household voltage referred to as both 115V and 120V so besides that, they say 15A and say a dedicated line is "preferred", but I think that is because you obviously don't want a window air conditioner running on the same circuit while you're charging.

We had an outdoor outlet put in next to where we park the car (not supposed to use extension cords) and the electrician ran a dedicated line right from the box on the pole outside our home where our electric meter is, the box actually had extra available connections for such additions.

I did have wire used that is rated for 20A though it wasn't a must, also used a 15A ground fault outlet as recommended. (and a hinged rain-proof cover that can close and keep the outlet covered even when the cord is plugged in)

The Prime is designed so people can charge their car even if it's raining or snowing, but they recommend not charging during a thunderstorm for obvious reasons.

Anyhow here is a link to the brochure that covers that as well as a screenshot of that page:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47C92U/pdf/OM47C92U.pdf

View attachment 469870

Here is a link that includes the owners manual:

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals/prius-prime/2020?garagePrefVehicle=0&garageModelName=Prius%20Prime&garageYearValue=2020&addToVehicleList=false&remRecentVehicle=false&csrfToken=1579992716963159605361891516937

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom