Dumbest thing you dug for?

I'll go first. I spent 25 minutes in the blazing sun attempting to dig up my parents' septic tank.

I watched a buddy of mine dig for 10 minutes for a beep he was hearing on his CZ6. Deeper and deeper and deeper. And every time he swung back over it, the beep was still there. So he just assumed "deeper".

Finally after about 10 minutes, the truth became known: He was digging inside of a barrel hoop. Doh! The CZ6 with it's monotone "beep" (very little tell-tale audio) kept registering the beep on the center of the loop. So he was digging through the center of the big loop, without realizing it was a circular big hoop. :laughing:

Not there yet but there is something in my backyard that registers around 75 on the Simplex and max depth even when I pull it up 16 inches above the soil. I gave up on it previously with the Tracker IV and dug like a hole that would fit a basketball and still nothing. Left the hole open and wife tried to use it to drown chipmunks that didn't work either. I filled the hole up. Maybe I will try again. Seems to be under a magnolia tree tap root but unless it's a cache IDK probably going to be posting something similar to septic tank.

I watched a buddy of mine dig for 10 minutes for a beep he was hearing on his CZ6. Deeper and deeper and deeper. And every time he swung back over it, the beep was still there. So he just assumed "deeper".

Finally after about 10 minutes, the truth became known: He was digging inside of a barrel hoop. Doh! The CZ6 with it's monotone "beep" (very little tell-tale audio) kept registering the beep on the center of the loop. So he was digging through the center of the big loop, without realizing it was a circular big hoop. :laughing:

I did the exact same thing with the metal outer ring from a wagon wheel.

Two feet of digging and still nothing but high tone. Finally I went and got a rod and starting probing the ground. I hit a couple of bricks and so I started to dig them up. Suddenly the bottom of the hole fell into the black abyss. It was an open man hole that someone tried to block up with a bunch of bricks, sheet metal and boards covered with tar. I went and got a flashlight and peered into the open man hole. I was surprised to see a cylinder block pillar and a huge round cavern down there. I went and got my neighbors and with the help of a deer hunting ladder I went down there. It was a huge old cess pool. Back in the day no one knew how large septic tanks should be so this one was extra huge. Someone left a shovel down there as well as an intact wood ladder that crumbled to dust when I touched it. (Pics or it didn't happen)

Attachments

• cess 3.jpg
    cess 3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 255
  • cess 1.jpg
    cess 1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 242
  • cess 2.jpg
    cess 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 236
Washing Machine. Maybe the first or second trip out with my Tesoro Cutlass II. Big signal and being new I was sure I was digging a treasure chest. You can't imagine the emotional roller coaster trip that was.

Cheers,
Ken

How about just a little package of ex-lax that was wrapped in tin foil. Now that was a loose hunt :)

Two feet of digging and still nothing but high tone. Finally I went and got a rod and starting probing the ground. I hit a couple of bricks and so I started to dig them up. Suddenly the bottom of the hole fell into the black abyss. It was an open man hole that someone tried to block up with a bunch of bricks, sheet metal and boards covered with tar. I went and got a flashlight and peered into the open man hole. I was surprised to see a cylinder block pillar and a huge round cavern down there. I went and got my neighbors and with the help of a deer hunting ladder I went down there. It was a huge old cess pool. Back in the day no one knew how large septic tanks should be so this one was extra huge. Someone left a shovel down there as well as an intact wood ladder that crumbled to dust when I touched it. (Pics or it didn't happen)

Old sistrums and wells around old foundations are scary and dangerous as hell. Dumbazzes seldom filled them and alway covered them with wood and dirt. Steep on one and never be seen again..

Back
Top Bottom