Coinstar gold !

KOB

Forum Supporter
This is crazy. I got to see the insides of my local coinstar. Today , I'm loading up fresh clean coins and felix pennies to get cash and the machine jams , locking up with my coins inside. I call over the store manager and she unlocks the door wide open. She leaves for about 3 minutes to get some rubber gloves on. My coins are stuck in the tumbler. I look right below that and a plastic reject tray is there. The 1st thing I see is a gold earring. I act quick , it's almost full and dump it in my bag. Up on top is the pan that collects the dirt and small trash under where you put the coins on to turn in. 2 more pieces of gold !

My talley : top lint tray ; 1-10k gold lobster clasp. 1- very small pin , the shape of a torch with "ss" in black enamel in the center. Appears to be 22k , haven't tested it yet , very old. Bottom reject tray : 1- 14k earring a little bigger than a quarter , thick. 2- silver washingtons. 1- silver rosie. 1- bicentennial ike dollar. Additional $1.33 in clad. All the coins were heavily scratched or dinged up.

I got all this by the time the manager came back with her gloves and she picked out my remaining coins for me. I should have got a picture of this while she was gone. But I am shocked that I got 3 pieces of gold weighing 2.1 grams and 3 silver coins. From a coinstar no less.

Nice. The night gal that worked the cash register at wmart would get 10- 20 silvers A week. She never said she found GOLD.

Leave me unattended with an open Coinstar brimming with treasure, I would "recover the rejects" in a timely and discreet fashion as well!
Still want pics. :?:

Geez guys , what pics are you guys wanting ? A few pieces of gold and some coins that you all know what they look like ? I just wish I had the mind to take a pic of the inside of this thing. The store manager is pretty cool , so I didn't want to blow it. Maybe I can "jam" the machine again ! Another note : when the door was open , it exposed the floor. There was no bottom of the machine exposed , no bottom of the cabinet. There were coins and other stuff covering the store floor. And I wasn't about to get on my knees and pick them out with customers all over. But there is a gap when the door is closed. Someone could get a duster or something and sweep those treasures out.

So who owns the contents of the reject tray? I figured it's technically the original owners, but since they can't realistically be tracked down, it's either Coinstar or the business hosting the Coinstar machine.

Can someone enlighten me?

So who owns the contents of the reject tray? I figured it's technically the original owners, but since they can't realistically be tracked down, it's either Coinstar or the business hosting the Coinstar machine.

In my view, the contents of the reject tray have been abandoned. No different than anything else we recover from the ground. Free game.

Actually that's a good question. I would think coinstar. But the store manager had the key and cleaned out my jammed coins. That tells my other employees would have access too. My recommendation for all you hunters out there is to jamb the machine. The very least you could claim the reject tray as being coins you put in. The manager was there when I was cleaning out the lint tray of the 2 small gold. She didn't care. A good repor is a must. But they also are busy with other more important things at hand.

Cool story bro

Anyone can tell a story, but pictures of the loot help to bring the "story" to life. Until then it's just a story.

I approached a man one day who was about to open up coinstar machine. He had on a green vest with a coinstar logo. I asked him, are you grabbing all the silver coins and other items from the reject trays. His answer was "There are no reject trays." Oh really? I said that's not true, silver gets rejected and sometimes ends up in the reject tray. His answer was "No it doesn't, it goes into the coin return." Yeah, but what about those three reject trays? "There are none." He then grabs his gear and heads outside. Sorry bud, Ive seen them and I know from experience that certain items end up these.

I don't have any pics from my "Cool story" though, I'm not claiming to have found anything, it's just a cool story BRO! :cool:

I've considered looking into getting a franchise of one or more of those...could be profitable...especially if you can set the "hold" percentage that you keep of the coins dumped. I'd set it to 10% to compete.

In my view, the contents of the reject tray have been abandoned. No different than anything else we recover from the ground. Free game.
Abandoned? If the coinstar machine was brought to the dump, yes. Anything in the machine as it sat in this store belongs to coinstar. They pay to rent the site, install and maintain the machine, etc. If you dump it in, it's theirs.

I'm just responding to your comment, not trying to pass judgement.

k2gleaner

Abandoned? If the coinstar machine was brought to the dump, yes. Anything in the machine as it sat in this store belongs to coinstar. They pay to rent the site, install and maintain the machine, etc. If you dump it in, it's theirs.

I'm just responding to your comment, not trying to pass judgement.

k2gleaner

I know you're not passing judgment. If it were the Coinstar's property, why would it be in the reject tray for the customer to retrieve? If the customer abandoned it in the reject tray, why is that any different than someone dropping a quarter in the grass and not picking it back up?

EDIT: Just reread original post. I realize now it was the INSIDE reject tray not accessible to customers. I'm not sure about that one. Definitely can be debated.

The outside reject tray, on the other hand, I see as abandoned change.

Interior catch trays? I see that as illegitimate. Items in there were stolen from customers. I don't understand how Coinstar should have rights to that...or the store employees, or anyone but the customers who lost those items. Since the previous customer(s) are no longer present, those are abandoned goods. Once abandoned, I guess anyone with access has a right to them.(except maybe Coinstar, who stole them in the first place) KOB was situationally granted access in this case. Same goes for coins, etc. that end up on the floor underneath the machine, or left in the external reject tray. except they were not stolen; just lost/abandoned.
Maybe Coinstar has some fine print about having rights to non-coin items, etc? Is there a written agreement with the customer?

I've considered looking into getting a franchise of one or more of those...could be profitable...especially if you can set the "hold" percentage that you keep of the coins dumped. I'd set it to 10% to compete.
Apparently Coinstar franchises don’t exist based upon my research. You could go another route and buy a machine but they’re very expensive and seem to break/jam constantly. I’ve been using them for over 20 years and the machines are constantly OOS.

If you are a decent story teller , you don't need pics. But it can add some "life" to the story. More books don't have pics than do. You want a visuals that come to life ? Stick with your smut mags ! MetalAddict posted his coinstar 2 silvers. Great ! But I know what they look like. Keep in mind guys , many posted fake find photos here. Unless you have a more sinister plan of looking up the tags on a pic itself. On YT there is a guy who recently had the store manager open one up to get his IKE dollar. She pulled out the plastic "dirt" tray and dumped it out. Couple of pendants along with his coin and other stuff. Personally , I don't think it's right they have this inside tray. The whole experience was interesting.

Interior catch trays? I see that as illegitimate. Items in there were stolen from customers. I don't understand how Coinstar should have rights to that...or the store employees, or anyone but the customers who lost those items. Since the previous customer(s) are no longer present, those are abandoned goods. Once abandoned, I guess anyone with access has a right to them.(except maybe Coinstar, who stole them in the first place) KOB was situationally granted access in this case. Same goes for coins, etc. that end up on the floor underneath the machine, or left in the external reject tray. except they were not stolen; just lost/abandoned.
Maybe Coinstar has some fine print about having rights to non-coin items, etc? Is there a written agreement with the customer?

If Coinstar is stealing from customers in a way that (most) customers aren't even aware of, I wouldn't consider their property as abandoned.

The more I read about Coinstar, the sketchier they become, even with some fine-print contract that supposedly gives them the legal right to the "abandoned" items.

Back
Top Bottom