"Pinpointer" alternatives?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
For the most part, I mostly see Garrett Pinpointers advertised or used in videos. I've seen a few alternatives. Are there many alternatives? Better and less costly? I do like the orange for visibility. Waterproof.

The Whites TRX and Xp MI6/4 work great as well. The TRX only detects off the tip... Think of it as if it were projecting a beam like a flashlight.... I really like the pitch tone on the MI6.

You might take a look at the "KUMAN" metal detector "GP-POINTER" . I found it on Amazon for about $40. It looks like the Garrett but is more simple. It turns on and off and vibrates as well as makes a tone so you can feel it with your headphones on. It has a lanyard and a light. The rate of the beep gets faster the closer you get to your target. It uses one nine volt battery. So far I don't have any complaints. Oh on the negative side it does come from China.

I have 2 vibraprobe units. The first I have had for 7 years. Zero problems. They are yellow and black, so very hard to lose.
Their customer service is top notch also.

I've ordered one of those GP Pointer china cheapies from the big E place online. Mainly because I'm curious to see if it works and how long it will last. Chalk 23 bucks up to research. 🤔

Depending on OP's location, I won't ship, have a Garrett pro pointer looking to unload for $50 if interested. I'm in NJ though

I've ordered one of those GP Pointer china cheapies from the big E place online. Mainly because I'm curious to see if it works and how long it will last. Chalk 23 bucks up to research. 🤔

Let us know. I have a feeling you would have been better off putting that 23 bucks on Red on the roulette wheel. :D

I have a TRX and an orange Garrett. Both are great little machines. I like the garrett a little more. They detect the target a little differently. The target has to be straight in line with the end of the pointer of the TRX. The Garrett will pick up the target anywhere along the shaft. Takes a little practice using either.

I think the Garrett is pretty much perfect. If I could make one improvement it would be a second easier to hold down button that has to be depressed for it to detect. I wouldn't need to constantly switch it on and off.

Somebody else mentioned the Garrett detecting off the sides and not just the tip. It's an important difference. Because the Garrett detects off of the sides and the tip, it is really important to scan down the walls before you scan the bottom if you have a narrow hole. One advantage of it detecting off of the sides is that you can hold it sideways over a spread out pile of dirt and locate a small target faster.

Even if you don't do any water hunting, the waterproof feature of the at pinpointer makes it a lot easier/faster to clean up. I just hose off my at pro and pinpointer.

Let us know. I have a feeling you would have been better off putting that 23 bucks on Red on the roulette wheel. :D

I have a TRX and an orange Garrett. Both are great little machines. I like the garrett a little more. They detect the target a little differently. The target has to be straight in line with the end of the pointer of the TRX. The Garrett will pick up the target anywhere along the shaft. Takes a little practice using either.

I think I bought 3 or 4 of those cheap pinpointers before I learned and bought the Garrett. Also use the FT PI units and they are better than the Garrett. Fooling around trying to save money is a waste of time. Old saying holds true “you get what you pay for”..

I've tried several different pinpointers thinking the grass might be greener on the other side, but I keep going back to the Garrett Carrot. It just works well for me.

I have no doubt your spot on, but the temptation was too great. 😁 I'll buy one of the Garrett carrots soon, just have to let the memory of the Patriot purchase fade from the chief financial officers memory a bit. :laughing: :laughing:

I have no doubt your spot on, but the temptation was too great. 😁 I'll buy one of the Garrett carrots soon, just have to let the memory of the Patriot purchase fade from the chief financial officers memory a bit. :laughing: :laughing:

Hey! Red DOES hit almost half the time. I know that drill, my CFO has a very good memory. :laughing:

Forgot to mention that the Vibra Probe is tip only detection. Forces you to do a more precise pinpoint with your machine. That way you are not digging huge plugs like 90 percent of the YouTube videos you see.
Not intended to cause a war with these statements, just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think the Garrett is pretty much perfect. If I could make one improvement it would be a second easier to hold down button that has to be depressed for it to detect. I wouldn't need to constantly switch it on and off.

I like that idea...although I don't know that I'd like to have to depress it while pinpointing. Perhaps a lighter touch switch to come out of a "standby" mode?

Back
Top Bottom