• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

**Super Important Update** Not sure what to do

Greenriver Greg

I've been using a borrowed White's Classic SL IDX and have noticed that particular brand isn't mentioned very much here. Further reading of numerous other sites and articles keep mentioning someone named Mr. Bill and a Mr. Bill modification which apparently if your White's machine doesn't have your poo out of luck so it seems.

I'm new at this, don't know squat about what I'm doing...yet, and I want to have the best technology that my budget will afford. When you guys talk about finds hitting at certain numbers I have no idea what your talking about. The IDX just has black blocks that flash around. I guess what I want to know is if the IDX is sufficient without the Mr. B mod, and I should stick with it, or has the technology advanced enough to make older detectors maybe not obsolete, be enough so to warrant buying a new machine?
I value your opinions and insights. Thanks

Last edited:
I dont know how to advise you regarding the IDX..., but at least you are getting out and learning the basics and finding stuff...

I will say this...try to find a specific rig that fits your AO and style and meshes with your brain processes...This is not easy..the rig that fits you the best may be a Tesoro Compadre, or it might be a top shelf Minelab...we all hear and process things differently...like trying on shoes....man...

You are doing it right by asking questions and watching a lot of youtube vids on different detectors to see what is pleasing to your ears and makes sense to your brain, and looks like thats the rig that is preferred by Hunters of your style and performs the best in your AO according to Forum advice and Youtube....

Luckily, with Forums nowadays, You dont have to learn all of this on your own...learn from the ones that have gone before you who you would like to emulate, then procure that gear and get with it....

Once you narrow it down, you start trying out rigs and settle on one that seems to be an extension of yourself, comfortable...Like shoes..I mean hey, if you are hunting beaches, you dont need to be looking at cowboy boots...?

The IDX is a good solid anolog detector with several coils to choose from. They usually go 8" on quarter, medium sweep speed and you can ground balance them by pulling the center cap from bottom and using a small screwdriver. (See owners manual) The mr bill mod gives you maybe an extra 2" of depth, external ground balance and threshold adjustment. They are equal to many of the tesoro detectors and can find all but the deepest targets. Email Monte, I believe he likes them and can tell you all you need to know.

If you're not scared you can open it up and adjust your thesold too. The patriot is a very good detector, its the same as a fisher f70. That doesn't mean you'll like it though. You'll see how many had detector A and hated it but loved detector B and vice versa. It's best to try them out, borrow, metal detector club, good dealer etc. Even then you may want to change later.

If I said the Teknetics Patriot catches my eye, what would your response be?

It catches my eye also...with the 11"DD...that rig format is a proven stone cold dependable money maker....The Patriot is a rebranded F70....very wonderfully ergonomic, very strong and simple, very comfortable to swing, very ROI positive...

Its widely lauded and known as a sleeper rig...A Dave Johnson frankenstein monster that accidentally slipped through R&D and into the public marketplace......

If my 10yr old F70 ever takes a catastrophic dump, I'll be into the Patriot before the Sun goes down, I'd pay for next day shipping even..I paid $750 for my F70 10yrs ago..straight off the shelf...and that was probably the best money I ever spent in my Life for a money making tool....

But again, that design and rig fits me and my brain and my AO and my style...it may not fit you...

The patriot is an F70 apparently and I owned it with stock and 11 dd coil. Its a great rig. I think if you learn it you might not want another machine.
I should of kept mine.

The F70 is a proven winner and might be a great fit for you. If I were you I would be watching UTube videos of various machines. No easier way to get to see someone operating different machines and see what they can do and how they preform.
Keep asking questions and advice, soon you’ll find what you need. Good luck!

I've been watching Patriot review videos on YouTube most of the afternoon and I've came away with two observations. 1. If I do buy a detector, it most likely be the Patriot. 2. Several people that post videos on YouTube really have no business posting videos on YouTube. Nauseous is an understatement.(Hold the dang camera still please, thank you)
I will review some more models, but the Patriot is the clear front runner at the moment.

I've been watching Patriot review videos on YouTube most of the afternoon and I've came away with two observations. 1. If I do buy a detector, it most likely be the Patriot. 2. Several people that post videos on YouTube really have no business posting videos on YouTube. Nauseous is an understatement.(Hold the dang camera still please, thank you)
I will review some more models, but the Patriot is the clear front runner at the moment.

Have at it and get one coming, quit messing around! Lol

I made my initial purchase of a detector based on my brother in law's recommendation. It does not have a meter and Minelab and others had quit making a meter for it. I was absolutely completely lost. On more than one occasion I was looking for a tree to introduce it to. But the fact that I had invested quite a bit of money for the detector and other equipment I did not. I finally discovered that a gentleman in Michigan made a meter that would fit my machine. I made the purchase and the light at the end of the tunnel started to glow dimly. The more time I had on the machine the brighter the light became.

If you want a machine that is obviously better than what you are using I would wait for a few months just to make certain that you have caught the addiction. A lot of folks purchase a machine, use it for a few months and then put it in the closet.

What you need depends on what type of hunting you are doing If you are planning on searching areas where people swim etc then you need a machine that can be gotten wet. There are a lot of good machines out there and some very good dealers. Talk to the dealers if you plan on buying new. They for the most part are willing to give a better deal than what you see in advertisements. Plus they for the most part are small businesses.

I will. Just need to polish up my sales presentation to the finance officer. :laughing:

OK, so you got a 'Barrier of Entry' huh? Time for the old ...'Cost/Benefit' analysis!:laughing:

Cost: $449 plus a pack of Sams Club AA's, and a screwdriver!...Thats it! No green fees, No Country Club/Health Club memberships, No boat ramp permits, No Hunting licenses, No Limits!

Benefits: Immediate cash ROI, Jewelry, Excersize, plus your new Patriot holds a resale value of lets say easily 50%! Try that with a set of Golf Clubs or a Bass boat or a Motorcycle! Concentrate on the positive benefits!

The biggest benefit to pitch to your CFO, besides all the free jewelry and money she stands to gain, is that these rigs are massive Chick Repellents! Once you start detecting, there is Like NO WAY any wild Female will be attracted to you ever again! The 100% guaranteed Male Chastity belt!

No late night phone calls or texts from Flaxen haired Floozies, no more 'Our Time' Mancatchers, or 'Silver Single' Strawberry Strumpets to worry about...No more Facebook old high school girls saying 'Hey, what have you been up to?"...You aint got no time for that! You Metal Detect! Not a Woman no matter how crazy would want the slightest thing to do with you if you put 'Metal Detecting' as your primary hobby in your online Profile!

In fact, If you start Metal Detecting conversations in public, you can clear a room quicker than an Elephant fart in an elevator..

All of these benefits for less than $500? With a Monstrous payback potential? Plus, from all the walking and stooping and squatting, your @ss muscles will be as tight as a Steel drum! You can open a jar of pickles or a can of soup one handed! Barrier of Entry? Digger Please!:laughing:

Hope this helps...If you find out you dont like this Sport, you can always sell your rig and buy yourself a canopener and use the AA's in the TV remote...the screwdriver will always come in handy for something..

If you have mild ground, the Mr. Bill's mod isn't going to help you any or much at all. I've used that particular detector without the mod and I did great with it. If want you can change the ground balance, it's located under the American flag sticker. Monte commented on how to do that in one of his LONG posts. Also, make yourself a coin test garden and do some testing. You most likely won't need to do anything. Messing around with that fragile gound balance pot isn't a good thing if you don't know what you're doing.

beephead

OK, so you got a 'Barrier of Entry' huh? Time for the old ...'Cost/Benefit' analysis!:laughing:

Cost: $449 plus a pack of Sams Club AA's, and a screwdriver!...Thats it! No green fees, No Country Club/Health Club memberships, No boat ramp permits, No Hunting licenses, No Limits!

Benefits: Immediate cash ROI, Jewelry, Excersize, plus your new Patriot holds a resale value of lets say easily 50%! Try that with a set of Golf Clubs or a Bass boat or a Motorcycle! Concentrate on the positive benefits!

The biggest benefit to pitch to your CFO, besides all the free jewelry and money she stands to gain, is that these rigs are massive Chick Repellents! Once you start detecting, there is Like NO WAY any wild Female will be attracted to you ever again! The 100% guaranteed Male Chastity belt!

No late night phone calls or texts from Flaxen haired Floozies, no more 'Our Time' Mancatchers, or 'Silver Single' Strawberry Strumpets to worry about...No more Facebook old high school girls saying 'Hey, what have you been up to?"...You aint got no time for that! You Metal Detect! Not a Woman no matter how crazy would want the slightest thing to do with you if you put 'Metal Detecting' as your primary hobby in your online Profile!

In fact, If you start Metal Detecting conversations in public, you can clear a room quicker than an Elephant fart in an elevator..

All of these benefits for less than $500? With a Monstrous payback potential? Plus, from all the walking and stooping and squatting, your @ss muscles will be as tight as a Steel drum! You can open a jar of pickles or a can of soup one handed! Barrier of Entry? Digger Please!:laughing:

Hope this helps...If you find out you dont like this Sport, you can always sell your rig and buy yourself a canopener and use the AA's in the TV remote...the screwdriver will always come in handy for something..

I'd say it's as good as ordered once I present this list of benefits. :laughing::laughing:

Before you approach your finance officer,
1. Get a small container
2. Fill the container almost full with coins (mostly dimes and quarters will help)
3. Top the container off with dirt and mix contents well
4. Go to pawn shop and get a nice little ring
5. Place the ring in the top of the container, smear some of the dirt on it
6. Put the lid on the container

Now, you are ready to approach your finance officer, hand over the container, and proclaim, "Look what I've found with your dad's old, out dated, metal detector. Imagine what i could find with a modern detector that has superior technology, and deeper range!" :lol:

David

Absolutely NO resistance from CFO!!! 😉

Attachments

• 20190207_155042-604x636.jpg
    20190207_155042-604x636.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Screenshot_2019-02-07-16-13-14-800x408.jpeg
    Screenshot_2019-02-07-16-13-14-800x408.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 398
  • Screenshot_2019-02-07-19-10-47-587x553.jpeg
    Screenshot_2019-02-07-19-10-47-587x553.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 407