• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Attempted Cut Copper

Bomberman

Found this copper today...any idea why someone would try to cut one in quarters? It’s been hammered on to the point it’s beyond recognition.
b145f34c7525c8d780ae0c31bc6c3fa4.jpg

968782c1b797f5e49a4a00721c591772.jpg

22463655f1ca22fc341aa6ebb9596c44.jpg

Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not entirely sure, but a good guess would be a Kid! Back in the day before the internet, Kids used to occupy themselves in such a manner...they would raid old Gpaws coins and then proceed on over to his tool shed, take his best wood chisel and a hammer, and commence to do strange things...

I remember back in 1964, ...one early morning I was left unsupervised, I went outside and got to dinking around like normal...I got a hold of Gpaws crosscut saw!...It was taller than me! I was intrigued! With nothing better to do, I decided to start on one outside corner of his shop and see if I could cut the whole damn deal in half! Nearly made it too! Even with all the nails! Before some adult came rushing out of the house wondering what all the racket was about!:laughing:

Another early morning, after a heavy over night ice storm, my old Mans flivver was coated with a layer of ice about an inch thick...So like any good Son, I got a hold of a hammer and commenced to breaking it all off! Like those guys on the crab boats do? I was nearly finished with that project before the adults woke up...Parents shouldnt sleep in or leave tools laying around...

So yeah, my guess is a kid..about 6yrs old...see the nice tight 90 degree quadrants? Firm strikes? Definitely a 6yr old boy of some practice...a 4yr old would be all off on the angles...:laughing:

A little cleaning revealed a few details...I’m thinking Matron Head LC. Thoughts?

69c3c3e7e532e9e2e2c46d23087d9ef3.jpg

7ed7caefccd72f7f0dd417a59b8becfa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a matron, nice find! It was relatively common to cut currency around that time period. Seems more common with silver coins though.

I found a few Indian pennies with a similar marking. Could be a counterstamp but im betting yours was just boredom. I dont yave the pics of my Indians but I found the same exact marks on a nickel online. The site said counterstamp. My indians had one hole on each one as well.

Attachments

• photo-20170220033406.jpeg
    photo-20170220033406.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 288
  • photo-20170220033407.jpeg
    photo-20170220033407.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 293
I have a cut piece 1/4 of a King George Copper. Early on in New England folks cut them up for change just like they did silver in the south, so a quarter of a cent would be a farthing like in old England. I have also seen a King George II cut in half good for making change if you don't have a half cent handy but an Axe in hand.

Not entirely sure, but a good guess would be a Kid!

Imagine if that kid were about 70 now and saw we were
scrutinizing microscopic etchings he made one rainy day in his dad's tool
shed.

Being that it was common to cut coins perhaps it was also common to score the coin so that it would be easier to break in the event of need..

Back
Top Bottom