Greetings from NC (I'm for real now! - as of 2/10/19)

Used AT Pro a really good starting point

I had my AT Pro for 3 years. It is a great starting point and you won't have worries about, well maybe the metal detector isn't working right or good enough. The AT Pro is a proven winner.

Are there better ones? Yes, but most of those come with a huge learning curve for a newbie. You will be able to learn the AT Pro in the a fraction of the time that you would require with the Nox 800. You will be happy with your AT Pro within weeks.

Watch some of calabash's youtube videos he is in Calabash NC. Where he hunts lots of civil war relics. Not sure where he hunts, but I assume in NC somewhere since he gets both civil war relics and revolutionary times buttons. He uses an XP Deus and Nox 800 but AT Pro will find relics also.

HH

Welcome from Honolulu. As many here have already said the ATPro
Is a good machine and you won’t go wrong using one. I used one for years and still do in the damp And dry sand when I’m not in the water. Found lots of rings and coins with it and it paid for itself the first summer. GL

Update (Feb 10, 2019): Bought an almost-new ("Used Once") AT Pro today off Craigslist!

An almost-newbie here, looking for my first detector. My 11yo son is eager to try this, too, given his love for finding anything in the dirt - shark teeth and coins.

I've seen the "first detector" poll and appreciate it being there. What's hard for me - in all hobbies - is that I start to look up the range of available [guitars, cameras, detectors, etc] and price myself out of buying something before I even get started.

That being said, I fear to get a low-priced MD, end up getting tired of digging nothing but what you call can-slaw and nails, never being sure if I'm missing the good stuff, etc.

I don't think I have super-high expectations here but we'd like to find some older coins, maybe some civil war bullets, jewelry etc. My buddy said he lost his class ring during high school near the soccer field 30 years ago. I'd like to have a go at that.

Watching aquachigger and nuggetnoggin on YouTube hasn't made me crazy but it does have me thinking Garrett must be THE brand. Coming here makes me realize not necessarily. My idea is to look for a used AT Pro that has become somebody's regretted purchase or dust collector.
Don't miss out hunting feeling like the only way to go, is to buy a expensive unit. I started with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw years ago and have never regretted it. I have found many coins, and some rings. Its very easy to learn and use. Good luck

Welcome from WC Arkansas! It's hard to beat an AT Pro, for the money. I really enjoyed the one I used to own and would still have it if I had not taken a break from the hobby. That said, I did find it a little nose heavy, with the stock coil. HH!

Back
Top Bottom