• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help ID SW Va Wagon Trail Find

Hoof pick seems like a good possibility. Maybe the long end was mounted in a wooden handle?

It's about the right size to be a hoof pick..but why make it so that it would need a wooden handle.. that's just more work.. the long end could more easily have been hammered into a handle..and why also make a distinct 90 degree angle when a bend would be easier to forge..I'm not certain what it is..

Hoof pick seems like a good possibility. Maybe the long end was mounted in a wooden handle?
Not likely. I make picks out of old shoes, and even made of steel they eventually wear out. Being brass or bronze it would be more expensive and wear out too fast.

:laughing: I don't know about "expert", but I'll bet I use a hoof pick more than anyone else on the forum, and even the design of that thing isn't conducive to being a proper pick.

In my opinion if you are a farrier then that indeed makes you an expert on hoof picks..you could probably use it for the purpose ..but I suppose that's like using a rock for a finishing hammer..might just be what looks sensible..just a dang hook for hanging whatever you need...but what do I know.. I'm an expert at nothing...

So, two things today..i did the mag test, its brass. reconfirmed through a second opinion from a local jeweler friend. He also does not think its a clock part. He is going to take it to archaeologist who specializes in period.

I'm stumped, he wont be hopefully.

The Arch and the jeweler agree with many of you..Hoof pick.

Thank you to everyone who put up opinion and suggestions.

A first for me
You're free to believe that if you like, but it's not.
I'll even go so far as to challenge you to find a picture of one that is remotely similar, because you won't find one.

You're free to believe that if you like, but it's not.
I'll even go so far as to challenge you to find a picture of one that is remotely similar, because you won't find one.

Your right..I searched for days. I suppose with a handle, it could be.

This will go in the case maybe to be positively identified in the future

Longhair does this for a living and should know first hand whether or not it is a hoof pick.
Although I don't know what is was intended for, I'm sure it isn't a hoof pick.
None of these are brass....

Attachments

• Hoof Picks.jpg
    Hoof Picks.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom