First Hunt

Crash71665

I went out this weekend for my first time. I spent between 2-3 hours out. My 11 yr old daughter accompanied me for for maybe the first hour. Being my first time out, I just went out on my dad's farm. There were a couple of homes there long ago. My dad once found an old shotgun barrel there many years ago. While I found nothing overly interesting, it was an area that i was pretty certain I could find something just to get used to the machine.

The quarter was not a find, simply there for size comparison. The bottom of the first picture is 6 pieces of old handmade square nails, the top right is a more modern tail. There is the remains of a shotgun shell, to the left of it is what I think is a shot from buckshot. Glass, a pink stone, the blue/white is from and old bowl of some sorts and then a random piece of wire. We also found a drink can tab but my daughter got rid of it pre-photo.

The second picture shows 3 pieces of broken plows. Nothing of real interest here.

I can see where this can be an addictive hobby, especially if someone found something of real value.

If this is posted in the wrong section, I apologize.

Attachments

• IMG_2605.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 163
You're getting it. That's about par for starters. Old yards and especially farms usually have lots of rusty iron junk in the ground. Not all of it is junk though. While the square nails and plow pieces have no money value, they are interesting, and help paint a picture of the past. Sometimes you might find an old axe head, gun, or other whatnot that may be rusty, but worth keeping or even selling.
If you want to hunt for coins, they are there too. Front yards, back yards, along driveways, under clotheslines, etc. Coin hunting is when you want to discriminate(disc) or just ignore the iron signals, and focus on the coin signals. With practice, you get better at bringing home more good stuff. Keep at it. Dig lots of targets and pay attention to the tones/signals they give. There's lots to learn, but you're already on it, and your daughter will likely be more impressed with something shiny, or even dirty but real money. GL, welcome to the forum, and HH!

With time spent detecting and the experience gained the quality of your finds will improve. welcome to the addiction

You are so right!

It’s the thrill of the hunt that is addictive. When you find that first silver coin or ring it’s exhilarating! You don’t want to leave in case there’s more! Hopefully your daughter can share the thrill of that monumental find. It will come and it’s a blast! Congratulations and keep swinging!

Back
Top Bottom