Compass Rose, but for what?

BaldAssCat

Elite Member
I found this in a spot where I've pulled a 1780 half penny, a shoe buckle and a few buttons around the same age. There were also musket balls, 3 ring bullets, .22 LR and shot shell caps for days so it's been an active spot for a while. It was deeper than most but it's also heaver.

It seems like it's brass to me. The back has tabs that were bent to hold something, maybe 1/8 to 3/16 thick. I was thinking decretive concho but my daughter pointed out the tabs are thick enough that they could have held fabric too.

Any ideas?

CompRose.jpg
compRoseB.jpg

Possibly a decoration for a horse harness? It looks like the tabs could grasp leather.

My thoughts as well: horse rosette. Those four prongs on the back were mostly like peened over through a leather strap.

Nice find!
--Bert

Possibly a decoration for a horse harness? It looks like the tabs could grasp leather.

Thanks!
I was thinking the same thing. Rosette / concho, or whatever they were called here in the east.

Whatever it is, it's a pretty cool find. Bling for a ladies hat, perhaps?

Thanks! This is my daughter's idea too. Hat or sash pin, of sorts. She made a pretty good argument for it but I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom