• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Can you remove the color image from "Collector" coins?

gwadam1

I was given a nice Kennedy half dollar that came from one of those collector companies like Franklin Mint etc. There is a color image overlaid on one side of the coin. Anyone know what the material is or if it can be removed?

Not really sure of the colored material, but the only thing coin collectors use to safely clean coins is pure Acetone (not the nail-polisher remover), via soaking. Acetone normally will remove oil based, enamel and acrylic paint.

Thanks. I tried it and no luck. I wonder how they attach the stuff. Will have to try something else now.

Your comment at the bottom: Wherever you go , there you are. Is from an excellent movie called Buckaroo Banzaii in the 8th dimension. (1984)

Your comment at the bottom: Wherever you go , there you are. Is from an excellent movie called Buckaroo Banzaii in the 8th dimension. (1984)

Was using the phrase long before the movie. Was a common phrase in the 70's at least many of us in the Army Security Agency stationed in Germany in the mid 70's anyway. I vaguely remember the movie, John Lithgow was the bad guy, and Peter Weller before Robocop fame.

Back
Top Bottom