Strike out spot one, score on spot two!

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Well I went walking a neighborhood creek scoping a new spot and found tons of antique broken glass and ceramics and even an early 1900s Great Seal button sitting on top of the rocks. Went back with the detector today and found it to be a bust with so much trash hidden under the gravels and around the banks, so I left with basically nothing.

I then went back into a nearby spot to see if I could at least finish off with a few CW bullets, found four, two dropped and two fired. Then I managed to stumble across a small bottle dump I had never noticed before, several big whole bottles; wine, decorative, ponds makeup jar, and two dairy bottles. The dairy bottles are "Thompsons Dairy 2012-11th ST Washington DC" and "Chestnut Farms, Chevy Chase Dairy, Washington DC, Safe Milk for Babies!" Then while moving in the same area, I found myself under a massive tree where I found a 1937 wheatie. Circling around the tree I then found a hole with a 1941 wheatie, a standing liberty quarter, and a 1941 quarter. Both of those are my first quarters!

Overall not bad for a quick hunt, thanks for looking!

That button, from my research, is a WWI uniform button. I found one exactly like it yesterday! How did you clean it?? I over-cleaned mine and ruined the look, but it's ok cause I already knew that it wasn't a valuable button and I was experimenting.
Great hunt!

That button, from my research, is a WWI uniform button. I found one exactly like it yesterday! How did you clean it?? I over-cleaned mine and ruined the look, but it's ok cause I already knew that it wasn't a valuable button and I was experimenting.
Great hunt!

So that third photo isn't mine, stock Google image. The button is toasted, I brushed it a bit under water from that picture on my table and it looks even worse now. Sad to say it's done for 😭

Awesome finds for sure, I would go back and grid the area out slowly. Hit it from different angles, different swing speeds, etc... good luck out there! Oh and nice milk bottles too!!!

Awesome finds for sure, I would go back and grid the area out slowly. Hit it from different angles, different swing speeds, etc... good luck out there!

Definitely on the to do list. But I'm stuck working every night until Saturday 😭

Hey can you take a pic of the back of the button? I found one the other day thats pretty toasted but a buddy of mine swears he sees eagle and wreath. Te back piece might help be identify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey can you take a pic of the back of the button? I found one the other day thats pretty toasted but a buddy of mine swears he sees eagle and wreath. Te back piece might help be identify.

The back is pretty plain (image below). From the examples online, I did not see any that had a wreath on the back. It should have text around the middle for the company name. Most are Scoville or waterbury I believe (I know I am spelling wrong)

This link has some more compiled info

Luv them on-location photos. And as someone who was able to hunt the east-coast once, I appreciate the 3-ringer photo as the "come to papa" age-indicator pix :)

What a great hunt - some CW bullets, nice old glass, and some nice coins. Congrats.

7cb58f8505a548bd36b288cf68f4a9cc.jpg

ad0e12d5387f5670f55fd7c1d6d0eec2.jpg

That might be it. Thanks!

Wow, a great hunt, nice milk bottles, Civil War bullets, and some silvers and cool relics, what more could a guy ask for! Nice!

Yeah, that's a great hunt right there! A GW and SLQ found together are your first silver quarters? :wow: Outstanding!

Haha yes! I was blown away, I don't get into coins too often. But I seem to get super lucky when I do. First silver was a 1798 quarter real. I actually forgot the SLQ even had the eagle on the reverse, when I wiped the dirt off I was Like what the heck is this!

Back
Top Bottom