Long and maybe boring but...

DirtAngler

Elite Member
I posted this on a different forum while FMDF was down so thought I'd re-post it here because of the volume of traffic this site sees. I'm fairly new to this hobby, only in it for 3 years now. I got into it because it is a hobby I can do independent of others which are few and far between. I'm a member of the physically challenged. I use this phrase instead of disabled because most challenges can be overcome by thought and trial and error and doing things in a different way from the normal. I am an upper extremity amputee at the shoulder. My remaining left shoulder, arm, wrist and hand have very limited function and dexterity. My wrist cannot flex back and is curved forward. This is all due from an electrical accident in 1989 while assisting at at car accident involving downed high voltage power lines that I contacted. I have been through many detectors. Some were purchased and then I found I couldn't work some of the functions due to my hand dexterity problems. Others proved to be too taxing on my shoulder and arm. Some I've had were the F4, Xterra 705, MXT Pro, F75, Etrac and AT Pro. Currently I have the XP Deus and Xterra as they have functions that I can work and lightweight machines. For target removal I use a Sampson shovel where I can and a lesche digger. Except for the perception problem, the Sampson is nothing more than a double wide lesche and actually makes a nicer plug than the lesche. I also had my left knee replaced a few years ago so I kneel on my right knee and just bend my left knee. Targets deeper than 10" can be a problem recovering due to my kneeling position and having no arm for support while reaching in the hole. I can't sit to do it because getting up is a problem. I've been fortunate to have found a few metal detecting friends who accept my limitations and offer assistance if needed. These individuals are members of a small informal club I formed. It's more of a meetup group. No formal meeting, just metal detecting discussion, finds, testing, and the normal BS'ing. I tried a large formal club when I first entered this hobby, thinking they would share ideas and be helpful. That was not the case, everything is a big secret. Unfortunately, we have some of that same issue even in my small club. Secrets kept, very few club hunts, and few of us even get together by invitation to hunt with each other. I enjoy watching metal detecting videos but only those that are full digs where the TID's are shown, the machines tones are heard, and the recovery is shown. These I classify as tutorial vids, you can learn things from this type of video. Granted they are much harder to do than finds vids, but at least you know they probably are actual and factual. Not saying finds vids aren't, but an already dug hole with a target laying in the bottom, just don't do nothing for me. This is just my personal preference, some enjoy them so all is good. I also am a firm believer in our code of ethics and feel those who are not should find a different hobby. Our hobby needs to be shown in a positive way only, to help overcome all the negatives we already face.I posted this in case others have comments about any of the issues in this post. Will they change the way I do things, probably not, but sometimes new ideas open new doors.

Back
Top Bottom