Merc City

angellionel

Elite Member
There was a slight flurry of snow this morning, but not enough to discourage me from going out to detect. I waited until 1:00 p.m., though, and then headed out to one of my favorite sites, “merc city”.

I had a feeling that I would not be able to hit the trails, since the ground there would likely be frozen. Once there I tried cutting through the soil, and I was right. It’s frozen solid. That’s why I had already planned to detect the wooded area surrounding the trails. Given the amount of leaves covering the ground, digging should not be that difficult. I had no desire to go through the same event as last Tuesday, and even if I did, my Gator was in no shape to handle it. Anyway, last year I had picked up several nice mercs and a Barber dime from those woods, so I knew that I had good chances to hit on a silver coin, especially since I didn?’t have to deal with much of the overgrowth that covers the area during the summer.

Soon after getting started I received my first signal, with a VDI of 87, and pinpointing at about 4 ? inches. Given the site, I held hope that it was a silver quarter or a large cent, but it ended up being a clad quarter, dated 1985. It looks like it has been in the ground for several years now. The next hit was similar, though the VDI was showing up at about 85. This target was pinpointing at 6 inches. This time the target turned out to be a clad dime, dated 1991-P. The VDI had been quite high for a dime, though, so I re-swept the coil over the hole and received another signal. I removed some more soil and then found the coin on one of the scoops – another clad dime, this one dated 1972-D. Well, at least I was finding coins. :D

I carefully worked the area, and picked up three wheats, dated 1910, 1945, 1957, three gauge shells, a lid of some sort, and a rusted metal “ring”. As I walked through the surrounding trees, some of the branches slapped my face, and with the cold weather, those really stung! :shock:

Some time passes before I receive another good tone, this one was pinpointing at 7 inches, and the VDI registered at 82. Thank goodness the ground wasn’t frozen here! I cleared the ground of the leaves littering it, and began to dig. Soon enough I had the coin in my hand, a 1918 merc! It has a mintmark, but I can’t quite determine if it’s a D or S. A nice find anyway. About 15 feet from that find I received another good tone, with a VDI of 88 and pinpointing at about 7 ? inches. Could it be another clad quarter? As I started to dig I notice that there were a few roots over the target, so I took out my clipper and cut through them. I learned my lesson from last year’s hunts. Now I was able to dig unobstructed. Several scoops of soil later I had my target, a SLQ! It’s stained, but it’s still beautiful, and it’s dated 1928. :)

I took my time working the immediate area, listening for any nice tones in between the iron noise. On a swing near a fallen tree I had one. It was a sweet tone, but the target wasn’t very deep, pinpointing at about 6 inches. I dug it up, and in my hand I held another mercury dime, dated 1926-D. Great! Now I began to work the area closer to the trails, swinging the coil under shrubs and in between small trees, when on one of those passes I had another good hit. I wasted no time digging the target, as it was now getting dark. It didn’t take long before seeing that I had another merc. This one is dated 1939, with nice details too.

At this point I had no desire to be out in the woods in the approaching darkness, so I headed back to the car.

Angel

coins022506A.jpg

coins022506B.jpg

coins022506C.jpg

The following appears to be part of a powder compact from the 20's.
From what I can make out, the letterings read:
The Celma Co
Toledo, Ohio
Mfrs of
Loospact
Here's a site: http://cache.tias.com/7499/PictPage/1922096246.html
finds022506A.jpg

I have no clue. :?:
finds022506B.jpg

The gauge shells.
finds022506C.jpg

Beautiful coins Angel. Love to read about your hunts. That 39 merc is in great condition.

Thanks for reading and for the kind comments, everyone!

epi-hunter said:
I had the same theory about the ground maybe not being frozen under the leaves.... but unfortunately it didn't work for me. All the ground here (covered in leaves, or not) was frozen like concrete at least five inches deep. :o(

Wow! With the ground completely frozen, even in the woods, the temperatures there must be below freezing on most days or nights. Sorry to hear about that, since I'm sure you are looking forward to hitting some of your researched sites.

Out here, I find that, with some exceptions of course, much of the ground under the leaf cover freezes to about the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch, which the digger is able to cut through. It's a good thing, since it allows for some winter hunts. :grin:

SteveMN said:
....That 39 merc is in great condition.

Thanks, Steve!

It cleaned up well too, as did the other two. :grin:

Angel

Great finds as usual angel. One of these days you're going to have to tell me your secrets.

Back
Top Bottom