Eureka ! My first coin w/ACE250

ToddB64

Elite Member
Had a great outing with the yella-fella today ! :D

Finished work early on thursday Feb. 23 and had a couple of hours of sunshine left. Took the ACE250 out to the field where I had lost a steel
pin off the riding mower last year. I didn't find the pin, but did dig up
a piece of heavy-gage wire, a bent nail and two hex-head screws,
all from different holes ! Got these finds in the first half-hour, at depths
of 2-4 inches. One of the screws was badly rusted away at the tip end
and was only about 3/8 inch long. I was very careful to slowly pick
through the dirt to recover these items, but was really amazed that the
yella-fella could sense something that small.

Next, I decided to scan my gravel driveway near the house where visitors have for years gotten in and out of their cars, service vans, etc..
In short order I dug up a tiny screw and a flat washer about one-inch dia.
; both were heavily crusted with rust and down in the gravel about two inches. Then it happened !!!!! My next target was a clear bell tone at six inches down. (Oh, I forgot to say, I ran the ACE in All-Metal mode and
five bars sensitivity throughout this entire outing.) The target ID said it was a dime. When we moved out here about five years ago we had the
drive re-coated with chips & lime dust overtop the existing gravel. So
after digging through about two inches of the new stuff I reached the original drive which was packed hard-as-a-rock. At this point I gave up
using my "root-ripper" trowel and got a screw driver.....this worked much better. During this and the other digs, I periodically scanned my pile of diggings , then the hole, to be certain the target was still in the hole. When I spotted a dime-size coin in the hole I was thrilled !! :grin:
It was badly discolored dark brown all over, so I was'nt sure if it was a dime or a penny. But after a vinegar/salt soak it turned out to be a clad dime. It will still need more cleaning before I can see the date. The ACE
was right all along ! (Why did I ever doubt ?)

This was a great day for me, finding my first coin and gaining more
confidence in the ACE250 and in my own ability to use it. More than ever before, I believe that when the yella-fella speaks, there is definitely
metal in the ground !!

ToddB64
ACE250

Congrats!

My first coin find wasn't anywhere near that adventurous :lol: Some penny that I tossed out on the lawn a week or so before I got the Ace. Found it at least :roll:

Now start diggging up some pulltabs :P

Thanks to all who replied to my subject post with encouragement ! :D

After soaking my dime all night in a small jar of baking soda, to
neutralize the vinegar/salt solution used for initial cleaning, the coin still
was'nt totally clean, but I could make out the date......a 1965 face-value
coin. Oh well, I've still got lots of driveway left to scan and who knows what could come up next........I'll give it another try this weekend.

BTW, I am glad in a way it was'nt a choice coin, because I used full-
strength white vinegar and it actually etched the coin faces to a dull
aluminum-like color ! Since it's not a valuable coin, I will try to polish
it up a bit. I'm going to research cleaning methods so I don't goof-up in the future ! ;)

ToddB64
ACE250

Thanks Oklahunter & simonthesearcher for replies. :grin:

I worked the gravel driveway again this evening with the ACE and found
a few more tiny iron items, just junk, so won't bother to discribe. But would like to share the technique I've developed, as follows:

Step #1..Scan in ALL METAL mode,with SENSITIVITY at five bars on the ACE250, until I get a target.

#2..Use the PINPOINT mode, moving coil side to side, forward and backward, to get precise location, after which I let the coil contact the
ground centered over the target, turn off the detector, and while still
holding the detector by it's pistol-grip, lean forward and mark the spot
by pushing a screwdriver into the ground through the open area of the coil just in front of the coil connector bolt. Then I raise the coil up and
over the top of the screw driver handle.

#3..Disconnect earphone jack and set dectector aside.

#4..Lay plastic sheet (approx. 12" square in my case) on the ground near target and begin digging and dumping onto the plastic and making
a quick visual search as I go along. So far, I've found the ACE to be
extremely reliable as far as there being metal in the ground when it says
there is. But, most of the time it seems uncertain about the depth and will bounce between say 4" and 6" , rather than locking onto one number.
So, to deal with this, I dig a little, then scan the pile and the hole to see
where the target is and then continue digging if necessary, etc., etc..
If the target is real small I may have to use a magnet to find it. I just rub
the magnet through the pile until I hear a little "click" and there it is ! This , of course, only works on ferrous metal, but the technique has allowed me to find tiny metal objects as small as 1/8" !

#5..Another thing, when alternately scanning the hole and the pile, if the
ACE tells me I missed seeing the target and it is now somewhere in the pile, I will take hold of the edge of the plastic and slide the pile to another area that I scan and know to be "clean", then re-scan the pile.
This avoids being fooled when there is actually nothing in the pile, but in the ground underneath !

Maybe some of this can help someone just getting started to avoid frustration and disappointment. I hope so anyway ! :D

ToddB64
ACE250

I shall be taking my ACE out tomorrow for the first time, fingers crossed for some decent finds. I think there's going to be around 80 detectorist out there, but it's a BIG field.

Back
Top Bottom