• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Silver Half

Schrecky

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/dschreckengost/ff3e10c8.jpg

We had another few days of unusually warm weather and some of the snow melted off so I decided to go to a local grade school that is slated to be replaced with a new building in the spring. Many years ago this school was the high school and the large field behind it was the football field. Since then the field has been used for baseball, football and soccer. The temperature was in the upper 30?s and it was pretty windy. The snow was gone from about 2/3 of the field and a lot of the ground was muddy because a well drilling rig had sunk a well on the infield. The area has been heavily detected for many years and I was there once last fall trying to learn how to use my DFX. I had about an hour to detect or until I got cold, which ever occurred first. I made a few passes back and forth behind the short stop position from second base to the third base line. Using the stock coil I found a few clad pennies and an unfired 30 x 30 shell(?). On one of the passes, after turning around on the third base line I got a strong signal with a VDI around 92 and a depth indication of 6?. I dug down through the cold wet dirt to about 6 1/2? and out popped a bright silver 1906 half dollar. I was delighted with the find. That kept me warm for a little while but I finally got cold and decided to head home.

I was using my own 3khz coin and jewelry program and didn?t make many adjustments because I didn?t want to take off my gloves. I checked the ground VDI in numerous places and all the readings were at -94 with a strength of 5. As soon as the weather allows I will hit the location again and I?m going to make a few program changes including ground filter, sweep speed, and normalization off so that I can reject +94 and +95, which were giving me a little trouble. I?ll also slap on the 1400. Here in northwest PA this is a real shot in the arm at this time of the year.

Oustanding, dude! Some people only wish to find a silver half! Keep up the great digging, man!

Old Silver Half

Congrats on a terrific find ! I've dug 6 or 7 silver halves myself but nothing nearly that old..I'd say you've got a real interesing site there! Two things for sure ; there were coins lost there many decades ago, and even if the site has been worked , if they missed a half dollar , you can bet that's not all they missed ! Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom