A.C.A. auto association for the colored

TNTGross

Elite Member
Found this in a hole under three wheat pennies. A 44', 51', and a 53'. Then just a couple of inches further down was this A.C.A. auto association for the colored plate. It's about the size of my palm.

I can't seem to find anything about it, so if you know anything, let us know.

Attachments

• A.C.A. auto association for the colored.jpg
    A.C.A. auto association for the colored.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 505
That is actually a VERY cool find.

I am betting that it is a AAA type thing or Insurance for "Colored" people from the 30's or 40's..

I am betting there are not many of those made.. I would perhaps reach out to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_Museum_of_Racist_Memorabilia

which is
The Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia at Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan, displays a wide variety of everyday artifacts depicting the history of racist portrayals of African Americans in American popular culture.[1] The mission of the Jim Crow Museum is to use objects of intolerance to teach tolerance and promote social justice.[2]

Saw a PBS special awhile back about a travel book that was put out for people of color that gave information on places that were safe and excepting for them to eat and stay when traveling by car across the country.

Interesting find for sure!

Wow that's in incredible shape for it's age. Is it porcelain? I promise you, some African American oppression/slavery museum can use that if you will consider donating it.

Wow that's in incredible shape for it's age. Is it porcelain? I promise you, some African American oppression/slavery museum can use that if you will consider donating it.

^ ^ Ditto ^ ^ This must have some collector value. Albeit notorious and disreputable.

Very unique!
It sure is. Thanks

I think it is porcelain. Metal back plate and feels like glass on the front.

Very interesting. Never seen anything like that.
Right... Heard about things like this. i.e. the travel book they made that movie about.

Saw a PBS special awhile back about a travel book that was put out for people of color that gave information on places that were safe and excepting for them to eat and stay when traveling by car across the country.

Interesting find for sure!
Didn't see the PBS special but did watch a movie that was based on it. Great movie.

That is actually a VERY cool find.

I am betting that it is a AAA type thing or Insurance for "Colored" people from the 30's or 40's..

I am betting there are not many of those made.. I would perhaps reach out to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_Museum_of_Racist_Memorabilia

which is
The Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia at Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan, displays a wide variety of everyday artifacts depicting the history of racist portrayals of African Americans in American popular culture.[1] The mission of the Jim Crow Museum is to use objects of intolerance to teach tolerance and promote social justice.[2]

Like to visit that place some day. I bet this falls under the "Separate, Same, thus Equal" catagory.

Cool find, never heard of it though.

Thanks.
^ ^ Ditto ^ ^ This must have some collector value. Albeit notorious and disreputable.
I agree. Wish I could find more on it.

With the logo bearing a very strong resemblance to the AAA logo of the American Automobile Association I would contact the historical section of that group and see if they are at least aware of who the group was, if in fact it was not a part of their company. Those days make no sense to us now, but we were still on the road to where we are now.

You've got yourself a bit of a mystery it would seem. I did an exhaustive search through google scholar and wasn't able to even find the organization. Color me obsessed. I need to know where this goes.

Last edited:
You've got yourself a bit of a mystery it would seem. I did an exhaustive search through google scholar and wasn't able to even find the organization. ...

^^ If that's the case, then it must be pretty rare. It's hard not for a novelty thing such as this , to not come up on a word search in today's world, if such things were common-place. Invariably they come up with a word search in today's techno-world.

It seems to be in good shape for being at least 70 years old. Could it be a fairly new hand-made novelty piece?

With the logo bearing a very strong resemblance to the AAA logo of the American Automobile Association I would contact the historical section of that group and see if they are at least aware of who the group was, if in fact it was not a part of their company. Those days make no sense to us now, but we were still on the road to where we are now.

Tried to contact AAA via website. They are not easy to contact.

whoooooooooooa, that is wicked!

That is what I said.

You've got yourself a bit of a mystery it would seem. I did an exhaustive search through google scholar and wasn't able to even find the organization. Color me obsessed. I need to know where this goes.

Same issue I had/have.

It seems to be in good shape for being at least 70 years old. Could it be a fairly new hand-made novelty piece?

The back is pretty rusty and no... It is not a "new" novelty piece. Found it in a lawn at about 8 inches of depth under 3 wheat pennies. On this same property I Found a 1872 U.S. Grant for President pendant a couple Barber dimes. A V nickle and a bunch of other little things. Not even a large lawn. But it has been good to me.

Back
Top Bottom