Hit my gold target for the year, with a THREE gold land hunt!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I went to one of my favorite elementary schools to try for "just one more" gold. Last year from this location I pulled 4 golds from a single hunt: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=272100

I went back a few weeks later and pulled another one, making 5 golds from this location. This tied my "best ever" elementary school.

This last hunt, there, though really took prize for wowzers.

I went out fully expecting it to be fairly "light" in terms of total targets, because I'd worked over the field pretty good. I knew, however, that in an effort to get coverage last time, I didn't overlap swings, and figured I missed some items. Additionally, I decided to dig lousy signals. The effort paid off.

First gold of the day was the Silver and Gold Cross. Stamped 925 12K, this is the second ever Cross like this I've found. The first was in my first year of Hunting, and Treasure Hunter bought it from me. LOL That one had a chain, though, this was just the cross. Treasure Hunter, did you lose your cross in Idaho? If so, just tell me what elementary school it was, and I'll return it. :laughing::laughing:

At that point, it didn't matter how the rest of the day went, because I had landed some silver AND gold in one find. And... it was on my very first "pass" on the grid. Literally less than 5 minutes after arriving.

About 45 minutes later on the 9th strip (it takes about 5 minutes per strip), I had a lousy signal that was solid in the ears. Bouncy, but decent enough to check out what it was. Sure glad I did!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO-quiT8YkU

Another 45 minutes after that was the last gold. Rang up solid 63. I ALMOST did a live capture, but I was too dang excited to see if it was a 3rd gold. Ooops. 63 signals are usually pretty good when they're THAT solid. It's funny that someone else on the forum found a Masonic ring just like this, not too long ago. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zaQED6GS8

The total of my finds was just $2.76 for roughly 2 hours. Not a lot of clad left out there! I ended up with three junk rings, in addition to the golds, the last of which was gold plated, and sounded good, but was instantly recognizable as fake, because of the tiny size and the 62 range. Just not enough size to justify a 62 signal.

Happy hunting out there, folks! I've hit my target 12 gold rings for the year, and can feel good about the rest of the year no matter what! (it's like when you get that first gold on a hunt, right? the rest of it is just GRAVY!)

Woot Woot!

Some other things:

In the last several months someone asked what my trash ratio to rings was... You can see from this, it's not too bad. The AT Max really helps me ID trash while it's in the ground and skip it. It doesn't hurt, either that Elementary Schools are not "hot spots" for bottle caps and pop tops. Most of the trash there is zippers, gum wrappers, and foil candy wrappers. Aside from the zippers (which I dig a LOT of), the other stuff is pretty recognizable. When it's bunched up in a ball, it's harder, which is why I have so many in the trash bin. :)

Good target to trash. Usually, I dig more "good targets" (coins, jewelry, etc.) than I do trash. So it's less than a 1:1. When I was first learning my machine, however, it was much much worse!

Yep, the diamonds tested real. And the weights of the items are as follows:
The cross = 3.7 grams silver and gold.
diamond ring = 2.35 grams 10K
masonic ring = 3.58 grams 10K (looked big, but is thin).

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0030 (1).jpg
    IMG_0030 (1).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0033 (1).jpg
    IMG_0033 (1).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0035 (1).jpg
    IMG_0035 (1).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
Congratulations!

It never ceases to amaze me at how many rings you really do find.
I think I will go out tomorrow to a couple elementary schools and dig everything from 50-70 with my AT PRO:D

Though low your goals may be , you still accomplished them. Nice. Now you can take the rest of the year off !

Nice job on the gold and silver!!!! I Swing the nox 600, my trash ratio is quite a bit higher. I have only found one gold ring And about 6 silver ring.If it ever rains enough to break the drought here in NW Ohio I'll have to give some School's a chance. You're my inspiration thanks!!!!

Last edited:
You have more patience than me, to coax gold rings out of junky turf ! Congratz.

Congratulations!

It never ceases to amaze me at how many rings you really do find.
I think I will go out tomorrow to a couple elementary schools and dig everything from 50-70 with my AT PRO:D

Let me tell you this... I've found more elementary schools that I've pulled at least one gold out of than I've not. Literally over half of them. Bottom line is I now show up to elementary schools expecting to find it.

Cheers!

Skippy

You have more patience than me, to coax gold rings out of junky turf ! Congratz.

I tell ya, Tom, some days all it is is trash.. Yeah, my ring finds are better than average by far, but there are a lot of days in between these finds that I'm looking for the gold and don't find it.

That being said, it definitely is there, and worth my time!

I'm astonished at your ability to find gold COINS. Good grief. That's patience, research and planning. My sum total of research is "gee, I wonder what elementary school I haven't visited in a while..."

LOL

Skippy

Nice job on the gold and silver!!!! I Swing the nox 600, my trash ratio is quite a bit higher. I have only found one gold ring And about 6 silver ring.If it ever rains enough to break the drought here in NW Ohio I'll have to give some School's a chance. You're my inspiration thanks!!!!

Don't be afraid to start further away than the 'near edge.' All of these came from the back 1/3 of the school yard. I think the front gets hit regularly by detectorists. The back end is harder to detect (more trash, less coins), but usually has better stuff (I think that's where mom's and Dad's setup for things like Field Days). It was clear that with both of these rings, neither of them were kid rings. 14th degree Mason ring... Not likely a 5th grader. LOL

Skippy

Though low your goals may be , you still accomplished them. Nice. Now you can take the rest of the year off !

Nah, Now I've got 5 months to beat my old gold record of 15 in one year... I just need 4 more...

Skippy

The ring with the triangle is a Scottish Rite ring. A local Lodge may be able to arrange for a return if you are so moved.

Nah, Now I've got 5 months to beat my old gold record of 15 in one year... I just need 4 more...

Skippy

Good luck. At the rate your going , you should hit it. I've hit a few schools like that but no gold YET.

Wait. A 63 is a gold number with a Garrett ? You mean I gotta start all over again ? In fact, just today I had a solid 63 . So solid I decided to dig it up. And I found a solid top portion of a soda can. You pulling my leg ?

Those videos with you pulling yellow out of the clump.... absolutely beautiful. I have yet to find yellow in a dirt clod. Yellow in wood chips, yellow in sand, yellow in water, but yellow in regular old dirt eludes me. Congrats on some great finds!

Back
Top Bottom