My Finds So Far

uga_bob

Forum Supporter
I started metal detecting about a year ago and am totally hooked. For newbies I would just say keep at it, learn your machine and what works best for you. For instance I found digging a bigger hole on a signal and then waving the dirt a clump at a time in front of the detector helps me find the confounding small stuff (eg box nails).. Helps when you are half blind like I am. I am fortunate enough to live on a large civil war site with a creek. Here is what I have found so far in my own backyard:

Attachments

• my finds.jpg
    my finds.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 448
A good pin pointer is an extremely valuable tool. You can cut smaller plugs which is very important on other peoples property. It also allows you to locate smaller targets without having to tear the plug into pieces.

Awesome finds! Nothing is higher on my bucket list than a Civil War Minié. I live in Iowa so that probably won’t be happening for a while :lol:

A good pin pointer is an extremely valuable tool. You can cut smaller plugs which is very important on other peoples property. It also allows you to locate smaller targets without having to tear the plug into pieces.

Thank you for that advice.. I was looking at one the other day and am thinking of upgrading to an Equinox 800.

Thank you for that advice.. I was looking at one the other day and am thinking of upgrading to an Equinox 800.

I bought my 800 in March 2018 and had been using an AT Pro for 3 years. If you get the 800 stay in the standard modes until you really know what you are doing with adjusting the 800. It is easy to get it adjusted incorrectly if you don't truly understand the theory behind what each setting does. And when you do adjust settings, make the adjustments in small steps.

You might also want to wait until the Apex is out in the field and reports are coming back. If you wish to hunt in and around water then the 800 is your choice over the Apex.

With the 800 you can learn to do different checks to learn what is under your coil. But with CW relic hunting, all bets are off and you pretty much dig everything.

I bought my 800 in March 2018 and had been using an AT Pro for 3 years. If you get the 800 stay in the standard modes until you really know what you are doing with adjusting the 800. It is easy to get it adjusted incorrectly if you don't truly understand the theory behind what each setting does. And when you do adjust settings, make the adjustments in small steps.

You might also want to wait until the Apex is out in the field and reports are coming back. If you wish to hunt in and around water then the 800 is your choice over the Apex.

With the 800 you can learn to do different checks to learn what is under your coil. But with CW relic hunting, all bets are off and you pretty much dig everything.

Thanks, I do like the simplicity of the Garrett 250.. I've dug a lot of trash and empty holes.. but it also gets the job done and I am getting better at recognizing it's tones.

Back
Top Bottom