• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

!4K, bucket lister found, and the Headless Horseman

T-Man

Elite Member
Been a good weekend for me even if I didn't get alot of time in. Saturday night hit a park near a gold course. Pretty dark at that time, only had the light of my Pro pointer to go by. I was swinging near a large tree and got a nice sounding mid tone on the ATP. Seemed a little smoother sounding the the typical pulltab I was finding too many of already. Got curious and hit the VDI with the PP light. Solid 67 all the way around, a little high for me for most tabs, probably another piece of slaw. Ground was pretty hard and dry but not horrible, was able to get the digger into it alright, fumbled around for a minute or two and saw the glint of gold in the light of the PP. Picked the thing up and it was heavy and felt smooth enough but that dang thing was big, slipped it over my thumb and it was still loose, thought it was a compression fitting for a sprinker head or something at first. Still it felt to heavy for a fitting so dug the head lamp out of the pouch for a better look. I sit in front of a computer all days so my eyes aren't all great for the little stuff but I could still make out what I thought to be a maker mark on it so I got excited with high hopes. Put it in the zipper pouch for later review. Stuck around another 45 minutes or so with nothing else to show but a little clad and more tabs. Called it quits, went home and sure enough, over 10 grams of 14K. Don't get alot of gold out of the dirt and this was my first this year. Happy Dance.

Saturday went out for a little bit in the morning, hit a bit of woods, didn't find anything worth while though I do wish Garrett would come up with a rifle attachment on thier next model of detector. Had it had one I may not of filled my pouch but could of easily filled my deep freezer. I was being stalked by some very brave busy bodies. The Buck just stood there about 30 feet away, the couple of doe were half that distance. We stared each other down for abit and I went on my way, they could of cared less about me.

Sunday morning went out to the store for a few groceries and saw a cell on the side of the road a couple blocks from my house. Still looked good from the drivers seat. Pulled over and grabbed it off the road, no one around. I was actually suprised that it power on, not locked, flipped through the contacts and found a frequent caller to the phone, called them up, was the oweners uncle, his nephew had lost it a few hours prior. Aranged a meet and returned within a few minutes. Very happy camper to get it back. I guess he was helping someone move that day a fews housed up from where it found. Must of been left on the side or tailgate of the truck when they drove off. No pics of that one but bought me some good karma for the day.

Had to play few family games, friends kids 6th birthday party, home for dinner and decided to see if my karma bought me anything good. Went to an old water tower not far behind my house where I've pulled a token, a few wheats and a silver from recently. After a couple plugs got my first V, bucket lister found, another handful of tabs, this blank disc, too thin for a coin, think it may be brass, thought it maybe a token but not seeing anything on it. Guess it will take a ride in the tumbler when I get around to it. Pulled another wheat and a few clad quarters, (not pictured) and then on the way out found the Headless Horsemen, horse head is completly bent over, looks like the legs are mostly gone as well but still love the old lead toys.

Also found this wierd thing, hollow, think it's brass or copper. Any clues to what it is, also any cleaning advice for the V?

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 14k.jpg
    14k.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 549
  • ringscale.jpg
    ringscale.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 543
  • buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 552
  • deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 587
  • vfront.jpg
    vfront.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 579
  • vback.jpg
    vback.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 562
  • noclue.jpg
    noclue.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 542
I have found one of those horseman also, i think it was some type of lead kids toy. I bet those deer will go awol as soon as season opens...

My first big men's gold ring was a Frederick Goldman, too. :) Wish I still had it, just for sentimental value!

Cheers!

Skippy

The weird, hollow thing looks like a football charm. Girls in high school (the ones with boyfriends on the football team, I assume) used to wear them on a chain.

il_340x270.1114995198_pifn.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the nice finds. My first gold ring was a FG. I thought the FB stood for Filled gold. A guy I knew looked at it and said Man that is the real thing. A month later I found a second gold ring within just a few feet of where I found the first one.

The weird, hollow thing looks like a football charm. Girls in high school (the ones with boyfriends on the football team, I assume) used to wear them on a chain.

I found one of those football charms just last month in the front yard of an old house. Mine has just the faintest traces of what I assume was a very thin gold plating.

il_340x270.1114995198_pifn.jpg

Cool, nice ID, that's exactly what that would of looked like. Assumed it was some type of charm, just could figure out for what.

Went back to the same area I found the headless horseman last fall, different side of the hill and about 100 yards away I found it's twin, this one even has a head. Also found what appears to be the frame of an old pocket watch, wish the rest was there. Not much otherwise, only a 45 minute night hunt.

Attachments

• horseman.jpg
    horseman.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 263
Back
Top Bottom