A 1901 Corn Carnival badge and a question

SueK

Forum Supporter
My niece, who is much more brave than I am, got our first permissions today. They were very small areas, but I found this badge that I thought was really cool. It says Corn Carnival across the top, 1901 across the middle, Peoria, Ills around the bottom, and Oct 19 in the bottom two arms of the star. I know the picture is hard to see, but that was the best I could do. Anyway, I like it!

And now, the question. It's been pretty warm and dry here, and it makes me worry about people's lawns. I wondered what those of you that live in hot areas do to protect the lawn while you're digging, if anything. We took wet towels to lay over the exposed roots while we were digging, and a jug of water to soak the plugs after we put them back together. Is that effective or over-worrying it? Suggestions would really be appreciated! Thanks all!

Attachments

• badge 2.jpg
    badge 2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I used to live very close to Peoria Illinois when I was growing up. What's it doing all the way over here? Very cool find indeed.

I think what you are doing is about the extent of being able to keep a plug good... Some people put grass seed under the plug and water, but I don't like this because then the homeowner has patches of a different type of grass growing.

Just be careful. I use the sharpest edge I can with the thinnest diameter I can to cut clean plugs in dry dry grounds like we have right now

I used to live very close to Peoria Illinois when I was growing up. What's it doing all the way over here? Very cool find indeed.

I think what you are doing is about the extent of being able to keep a plug good... Some people put grass seed under the plug and water, but I don't like this because then the homeowner has patches of a different type of grass growing.

Just be careful. I use the sharpest edge I can with the thinnest diameter I can to cut clean plugs in dry dry grounds like we have right now

Great! Thanks for your help!

If it is dry the grass will probably die anyway. A couple of tricks you can possibly use:

One is not to cut a plug but a three sided flap. Another is to try a brass probe and although it takes practice, you can dig out coins and things as long as your index finger with practice without cutting any plut.

Nice unique find there.

Back
Top Bottom