• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Freshwater gold

FoiledAgain

Elite Member
I did another freshwater hunt, starting chest deep, near the top of my waders, and worked parallel to the shoreline. Just beyond the end of the sandy beach section I got a solid mid-range signal and struggled to scoop the target without flooding my waders. The second scoop came up with a string of gold hanging out of one of the holes. It was a heart thumper, but having been fooled before by plated junk chains, I thought 'this can't be real'. I'm happy to say that I was dead wrong! The pendant is 18K, and the fastener on the chain is stamped 750 (18K). However, just to be sure, I tested the density of the chain and found that it's 14K. All together, 18.8 grams, and it's completely intact. This is my first gold chain and it made me a happy camper! (And I managed to keep the insider of my waders dry :lol:).

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpg
    IMG_4076.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_4104.JPG
    IMG_4104.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 618
Epic chain ! You had a great successful hunt.

Nice Brian.. what detector were you swinging? Looks like a pulse hunt with all those ferrous targets :D

Epic chain ! You had a great successful hunt.
Nice chain. Congrats
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Very exciting. Congratulations on the Goldie!
Cheers
Doc
Dang that’s one sweet score, congrats! Great read too!
Thanks! It was the last thing I expected to come up with, and finding it intact and undamaged was a real bonus.
There's nothing like seeing a big gold chain hanging out of a scoop- congrats!
Great chain man, amazing sight to see hanging out of the scoop!
Couldn't believe my eyes, a gold icicle?, but it finally sunk in when I lifted it out of the scoop and felt the weight.:wow: Thanks guys.

Nice Brian.. what detector were you swinging? Looks like a pulse hunt with all those ferrous targets :D

Thanks Craig. I was using the BH300. It doesn't distinguish gold from bottlecaps or poptops, or even a bit of iron on occasion, but I don't mind. Targets are usually so rare where I hunt that it's good to have a signal once in a while to wake me up.:lol:

Looks like 18k to me, rich color
Thanks brb. The color's nice & I wish the density proved it out, but 14K is fine with me!
Very nice find. Congrats on finding gold. I haven't been that lucky yet, but I believe that if I am persistant enough detecting that the finds will come.
Thanks BH. You have the right attitude & your persistence will eventually be rewarded. In the meantime have fun with the hobby!

:dingding: Awesome! I have found chains difficult to do the density test. If you have an acid kit do that as well as I'm willing to believe its probably 18K.

Back
Top Bottom