Deus out for a maiden trial run :

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Hey guys, I'm gonna geek out on this debriefing report :)

A couple of friends were down in my area of CA @ early November to do some beach hunting. At the conclusion of their stay, one was kind enough to loan me his Deus for a few weeks. Which I will ship back to him when done.

Over the years I've heard how this is supposed to be the "cat's meow" in nail/iron-riddled sites. But never had my hands on one personally. I've always just reached for my Tesoro Bandito in such situations. Which, as you know, is wimpy on depth, has no TID, etc.

Then a fellow I know gave me an hour's tutorial over the phone from Virginia a few days ago. Walked me through all the settings, pros/cons, etc....

Last night I was able to take it on a maiden test voyage to a certain adobe site. An "adobe site" in CA, is our version of what the east coast guys would probably call a "cellar hole" site. This site was the adobe home of a Mexican land grant recipient. Granted in the early 1830s. Although the dude might already have homesteaded the place earlier. This is just his formal grant date. And since this was on the road between 2 mission era towns, it was a stopping spot in those days. Ie.: hospitality to travelers, did trading, etc....

Today is nothing but a faint rectangle outline of adobe melt in a hilly cow pasture area. After the gold rush and statehood, this was one of a myriad of the 800-ish land grants in CA, that just got taken over by the incoming settlers. Either via bought out, or legal maneuvers , etc.... And apparently by the 1860s, was abandoned. The *newest* coin we ever found there, was an 1860s IH.

When we first researched it in about 1995, it was SO thick with targets, that we literally went into park mindset. Eg.: going high disc, avoiding iron-ridden patches, and not bothering to dig anything that didn't ring the bells of Notre Dame. Just so many targets to choose from. I filled a box with 10 or 20 lbs with green copper, endless cool doohickeys (mankiller balls, gun parts, endless henry shells, lantern parts, buttons, etc....). All told we've pulled about 20 to 25 period coins from here. Many reales, many early seateds, etc.... And perhaps 15 phoenix buttons.

By the early 2000s, all the "easy gimmees" were picked off. Leaving only the thicker iron zones to get more stuff. Because go figure, when we started in 1995-ish, it was machines like XLT, 6000 Di pro, Whites Eagle, and Fisher CZ6. None of which are known for ability in heavy iron.

Then eventually using creative arsenals to see through the iron, we got to where even the iron zone was getting stingy.

So today, the site is nothing more than a test zone. For testing machines for their iron-see-through ability. Such that .... even if you only got some more camp lead or copper snippets you KNOW that your machine or method you're testing is competitive. Ie.: a sport-unto-itself JUST to eek some more conductors from there (even if they're not turning out to be coins ).

Thus this was the perfect test site for the Deus . Started with the "basic" (#1) pre-set program, and modified from there. Assume the basic pre-sets, unless listed here :

1) Disc : negative 1
2) Full tones
3) sens : 90
4) Frequency : 17.6
5) Iron volume : 1
6) Reactivity : 4
7) Target volume 5
8) Audio overload : 0
9) GB (ground balance): 85
10) contrast : 10

The results were astounding : 16 conductive targets. See the pix. And as you can see, several of them *could* have been coins. I especially like the lock-dust cover. That was deep !

Of course , since I'm just learning, I got fooled by cast-iron. There is a different sound, but nagging doubts sent me to dig a few "just to be sure". More than I would have been fooled by the explorer, yet more conductive targets that the Explorer would have found last night. And the ratio actually wasn't that punishing. Like if I got 16 conductors, I don't think I got more than 5 or 6 iron . And for several of those conductors, there was utterly no doubt. So theoretically I could have been more picky, and dug zero iron. But it's a trade off , since some targets could be fighting masking.

Hope y'all enjoyed the report. Looks like I'll be looking to buy one of these, as soon as this loaner period is over :)

Attachments

• 20201111_092744.jpg
    20201111_092744.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • 20201111_092637.jpg
    20201111_092637.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,215
Nice report! I rarely use mine anymore since purchasing the Equinox but it really is great in iron. Reading your post makes me wanna get it out for a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Gary’s “Ultimate” program at that site. It is my go to in heavy iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am REALLY happy to see one of the guys who I respect a great deal post this! I am at a crossroads going into the winter, and by next spring, I have to be doing something different in addition to my FBS machines. There are simply NOT enough “visible” targets left in my sites to continue to hunt them, they are ROASTED! I gave the Equinox a run, but sadly just didn’t get the immediate results so many had experienced. Even with 200+ hours on it, things were still very sketchy and I dug A LOT of junk that sounded good. Nothing wrong with it, just didn’t work for ME.
I am very anxious to see continued reports Tom. I know you’re the real deal and will shoot straight about this stuff, especially when you’re seeing results that your other machines which you know very well aren’t producing.
VERY promising to say the least!! Nice work, and thanks for passing the info along!!

Thanx for the kind words IDX-monster

.... I gave the Equinox a run, but sadly just didn’t get the immediate results so many had experienced.....

.... A LOT of junk that sounded good. ...

Well when you say that a "lot of junk sounded good", are you talking about conductive junk ? Or iron junk ? Because if you meant conductive junk, then I'm afraid the Deus isn't going to improve that situation. It's quite adept at finding sssuupperr teensy junk.

I'm not sure what type sites you are working, but the task-to-which I'll be using this at, are relicky mindset places, where a guy will simply chase EVERY conductive (above iron). Ideally they'd be places where there's been no modern influence . Eg.: stage stop that's been gone since 1890, or adobe site that ceased habitation in the 1860s, etc.... So in that way, the "junk" is "fun junk".

But if you're hunting junky urban parks, or historic sites with a lot of modern influence, then you just have to "pay the piper" and put up with the junk.

Sure, you can crank the disc, pass foil and tabs, but then you will not be as adept at un-masking and target averaging.

The 800 is actually quite good at doing the Deus experiment I did last night. I took an 800 user to this site a few months ago, and he had plenty of signals to choose from as well . I'll have to check with him and see if he remembers his # of conductors. Ie.: whether it was more than 16 or not. But just based on memory of that hunt with him, I'm tempted to say this Deus was out-hunting his results of that past hunt we did. But I also know that he's shown me flagged signals, that I had to admit that my Explorer II would never have heard.

Tom...I’m talking about NAILS. My 800 LOVED a nail with basically a head remaining of ANY size. It would repeatedly false into a high zinc/low wheat reading, maybe 17-19. If you get a 17-19 in an old site, you’re digging a hole! It just got super old and didn’t “open up” anything around here. I’m hoping perhaps a Deus might, for whatever reason.

Tom...I’m talking about NAILS. My 800 LOVED a nail with basically a head remaining of ANY size.....

thanx for clarifying.

Me thinks you must have been doing something wrong. Either in the settings, or in the interpretations of the sounds (ie.: what-to-chase). Because while it's true that an 800, when set in ghost-townsy mode settings, is going to get fooled some times, yet : My buddies weren't getting fooled THAT much. Yes they get fooled more than my Explorer II does. That's simply the trade-off for better ability at un-masking the averaging (whereas the explorer is more prone to mask).

But at no time are they so punished that they simply abandon it, as you did. So me thinks you were doing something incorrectly. And since I'm not an 800 user, I would have no way to advise on specifically what that might be.

A lot of times, in these cases, no amount of text instructions (eg.: trading programs, etc....) can solve it. Because with detecting, a lot of it is in "sounds". And there's utterly no way to convey "sound" (ie.: what to chase, and what to ignore) in printed text. It would be like trying to ask someone to "describe the sound of C major in printed text". It can't be done. It can only be heard.

Thus if you ever pick up an 800 again, a good way is to partner up with a proficient user. Or perhaps some youtube videos have captured sounds. NOT just the highly edited portions where they are swinging over a target they are about to dig, but ALSO showing other signals that they're electing to skip.

Great post!

I try to run my reactivity as low as possible as it affects depth. 3 is as high as I go. 4 seems to shorten the signal too much for me. Everyone is different though. Whatever works for you is what I would stick with. For sure the XP DEUS is an outstanding Metal Detector. Especially in high trash and iron!

No, that little round copper thing is just some sort of copper corroded concave washer or something. Scared me at first, thinking I had an old corroded copper coin. Durnit !

So close to being able to rub a largie in our face. Maybe next time! :p Loved the overview and background provided in the post. Think you might be buying a new machine any time soon?

.... I try to run my reactivity as low as possible as it affects depth. 3 is as high as I go. 4 seems to shorten the signal too much for me.....!

big-boy : Yes, I'm seeing this same sentiment over and over. That most consider 4 to be too fast. And 3 to be the better compromise. Perhaps my friend suggested 4, d/t I have the LF coil, as opposed to the HF coil ?

I will certainly experiment with reactivity set at 3 now . Thanx !

So close to being able to rub a largie in our face. Maybe next time! :p Loved the overview and background provided in the post. Think you might be buying a new machine any time soon?

Great report Tom! Welcome to the XP Deus club. I use mine in all terrains. A great detector that’s made some of my best finds. Best of luck!

Thanx Tp-metal and beach-hunter ! Although I don't think this will be finding any LC's here. They are rare as hen's teeth here in CA. And the east coast guys simply will not allow us on the mailing list, to share in their fake-finds posts ! :mad:

Yes liked your comments very much and trust yours very much trying to decide what to buy next and think you solved riddle for me! thanks very much Bill

Loved my Deus but I sold it as it was nearly useless in saltwater and my Equinox could hold its own on land anyway.l

thanx for clarifying.

Me thinks you must have been doing something wrong. Either in the settings, or in the interpretations of the sounds (ie.: what-to-chase). Because while it's true that an 800, when set in ghost-townsy mode settings, is going to get fooled some times, yet : My buddies weren't getting fooled THAT much. Yes they get fooled more than my Explorer II does. That's simply the trade-off for better ability at un-masking the averaging (whereas the explorer is more prone to mask).

But at no time are they so punished that they simply abandon it, as you did. So me thinks you were doing something incorrectly. And since I'm not an 800 user, I would have no way to advise on specifically what that might be.

A lot of times, in these cases, no amount of text instructions (eg.: trading programs, etc....) can solve it. Because with detecting, a lot of it is in "sounds". And there's utterly no way to convey "sound" (ie.: what to chase, and what to ignore) in printed text. It would be like trying to ask someone to "describe the sound of C major in printed text". It can't be done. It can only be heard.

Thus if you ever pick up an 800 again, a good way is to partner up with a proficient user. Or perhaps some youtube videos have captured sounds. NOT just the highly edited portions where they are swinging over a target they are about to dig, but ALSO showing other signals that they're electing to skip.

Me? Doing something wrong?? I am INCENSED!:lol: Actually, I have a fairly good idea of what the problem was. I was looking for the “edge”....how BAD can the signal be and still be a coin? I was just too far over the edge, trying to make a bad signal into a coin. Most of us are guilty of this, most of it driven by sheer desperation. But in the same breath...it didn’t just all of the sudden “light sites up” either. It just didn’t happen.

Me? Doing something wrong?? I am INCENSED!:lol: Actually, I have a fairly good idea of what the problem was. I was looking for the “edge”....how BAD can the signal be and still be a coin? I was just too far over the edge, trying to make a bad signal into a coin. Most of us are guilty of this, most of it driven by sheer desperation. But in the same breath...it didn’t just all of the sudden “light sites up” either. It just didn’t happen.

Well put IDX , I know I am certainly guilty of this .:yes:

Great post Tom ! :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom