• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

how to get this cement-like stuff of my wheaties?

Take it into a coin dealer and ask. Don't take the words of detectorists about coins as the absolute gospel. We all the time get laughed at by the coin community for destroying what would have been valuable coins. Take it to an expert.

I had a wheat penny in similar condition and I used the Do It Yourself Electrolysis method to clean it tonight. The entire face of the coin was covered in a thick coating of hard green corrosion.

After about 15 minutes of being zapped in a glass of salt water and lemon juice a lot of the corrosion been cleaned off. I took the coin out and scratched the rest of the green stuff off with my fingernail. It was a 1957 wheat penny. :)

I'm sure the coin gods would scold me for doing this, but the coin seems to have survived the process without much negative effect to detail.

At $100 in value, I would not be in a hurry to touch it.

I lean toward tumbling for toasted wheats. It seems like slow even wear from tumbling smooths out pits and corrosion and leaves a great finish. Of course it removes the patina.

I personally would shy away from using acid on a coin with any value, and if I did use any acid lemon, clr, vinegar, I would soak it in baking soda solution afterwards to neutralize any acid left in pits or microscopic holes. I have seen coins damaged years later by dried residue.

I would try the following methods to experiment on coins with little value that are in similar condition:

-Tumbling
-Fingernails - I get tons of grime and grit off with my fingernails. They are softer than the coin, the same reasoning behind brass brushes and toothpicks.
-Toothpick
-Brass brush a brass brush does wonders on IH pennies. Of course there goes your patina.
-SOS Pad - Steel wool with detergent
-Fine Steel wool
-non-metal scrub pad

If I was going to touch the 1909, I would consider flicking the barnicles off with my fingernail first, then tumbling. Going slow.

So, I finally took the time and showed the 1909s to a local coin dealer. He basically told me that the wheatie in this condition isn't worth more than 5 bucks. He said he'd give me a dollar for it. That's too bad, even the dealer was disappointed about the condition.
Just thought I'd give you an update.
So long,

MS

That type of hard corrossion is verdigris, (spelling?) anyhow if you remove it more than likely it will leave pits on the coin where it was

There will definitely be a pit under the bump, and the surface of the coin will be eaten away. All of the detail under the verdigris will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom