Nice batch of civil war bullets

JimR_TN

Elite Member
Went out to a site near where there was a civil war camp. Bullets everywhere, but nothing else. Some of them show marks from having been removed from the guns after being loaded.

I'm very pleased. Prior to this I had found only one 3 ringer from the civil war era. Total for a two hour hunt: nine .58 3 ringers and 8 .69 round balls.

One of the bullets (last couple of photos) has odd cutting on top. A friend said it may have been from the ram rod, but there is no hole or mark from the bullet being removed.

Attachments

• bullets10272020a.jpg
    bullets10272020a.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 711
  • bullets10272020e.jpg
    bullets10272020e.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 762
  • bullets10272020b.jpg
    bullets10272020b.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 723
  • bullets10272020c.jpg
    bullets10272020c.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 741
  • bullets10272020d.jpg
    bullets10272020d.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 694
Congrats on the finds! That is a bunch of bullets. Kind of surprised you didn't find anything else. A good day digging. What did they ring up as?

Congrats and thanks for the share.

Ken

Congrats on the finds! That is a bunch of bullets. Kind of surprised you didn't find anything else. A good day digging. What did they ring up as?

Congrats and thanks for the share.

Ken

They were 17-18 on the Nox. Thanks!

They were 17-18 on the Nox. Thanks!

Thanks. The VDI will be close or the same on my 540. I have one burred in test garden and it bounces 17 or 18.

Thanks again for posting such a find. Nice to know there are still places like that out there.

Ken

Congratulations. That is a bunch of lead. Kinda reminds me of a field I detected once. I would find a bullet every now and then I found one spot that I dug 48 bullets. That was my best bullet day.

Good batch, I have tons of them and still love finding them. The cutting will be a ram rod mark. People are hot and panicking, and smashing it to the bottom. I'd definitely be going back to that area.

That bullet in the last 2 pictures has probably been fired. That is why there is no hole in it from a ball puller. I believe that your friend is correct about a ram rod causing the marks on the nose of it. And it appears to have rifling marks on it.

Last edited:
Nice bunch of lead. Pulled bullets and yes, I believe with ramrod mark.

Thanks!

Thanks. The VDI will be close or the same on my 540. I have one burred in test garden and it bounces 17 or 18.

Thanks again for posting such a find. Nice to know there are still places like that out there.

Ken

Thanks! I have to say I did wonder if places like this were still out there.... and they are!

Congratulations. That is a bunch of lead. Kinda reminds me of a field I detected once. I would find a bullet every now and then I found one spot that I dug 48 bullets. That was my best bullet day.

Thanks I'm sure there are more... it was getting dark when we quit. And my friend had been there a couple of times and yet the bullets were still plentiful.

Good batch, I have tons of them and still love finding them. The cutting will be a ram rod mark. People are hot and panicking, and smashing it to the bottom. I'd definitely be going back to that area.

Thanks!

I’d love to dig some cw!! Great hunt!

Thanks! This was my first time going for cw and finding it. My friend and I had scouted several places with no luck prior to this.

Wow! Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

That bullet in the last 2 pictures has probably been fired. That is why there is no hole in it from a ball puller. I believe that your friend is correct about a ram rod causing the marks on the nose of it. And it appears to have rifling marks on it.

Interesting idea. Since it was with all these other drops and wormed bullets our assumption was that it was also. Good tip, will have to give it a closer look. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom