HF Tumbler use liquid or rock?

Use water a drop of soap and vinegar and aquarium gravel (preferably natural not colored)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and never mix copper with clad

Why not? I mix the copper Lincolns with my clad all the time and the clad coins come out fine. No pink coins here.....

Attachments

• IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:
Here’s the difference in dimes compared to dimes tumbled with coppers.
44560ecd96df6bdb27c1a51e2a82cb2a.jpg

Coppers turn my clad pink too, if I use some kind of chemical. With just gravel and water, it might not.

i have a HF and sometimes i get pink clad sometimes i dont. i use aquarium gravel and water diluted ammonia. the gravel will wear out eventually.

i have had new copper clad zinc lincoln with scrapes have the copper come off in shreds leaving a zink grey coin. shreds of copper in the gravel.

i dont care if it turns pink really. its clad going to the bank. i like my tellers so i dont turn in dirty coins and they will use my rolls. the clean shiny are rolled separate. however i will put rotten lincolns in a roll and tell the teller that roll needs to go to the mint. i dig a lot of pennies to get around them and get them out of the way . i recently rolled 4000. went to grandkids piggybank after cashing in.

i have tried walnut hull, corn cob, etc.. even with a squirt of liquid abrasive soft scrub.

i have soaked coins first before tumbling and that helps.

the NEVER ENDING ARGUMENT ON CLEANING. sometimes my coins are so encrusted you cannot tell what they are, even get a good diameter measurement. what choice? i had to clean an coin turned out to be an 1819 large cent. was three times thickness in green crust. did not know for sure what it was. now readable. damaged? welll yea... so was it to start with. but i knew it was old and did not tumble it... dont gravel tumble a real keeper.

i dont put GOOD coins in with gravel. just clad. i have used just cob or walnut on a keeper thats already damaged with good results.

collectors dont like home cleaners. if its thought to be a really nice or rare, send it to the pros for grading cleaning etc...

oh you might have to adjust alignment of the belt on HF tumblers.

I use poultry grit. used to feed chickens etc to help them grind up their food. Grit, white vinegar, somerock salt and tumble the clad (NO PENNIES) for about 20 minutes. Rinse and your are done. My credit union coin counters are very picky as to that they accept.

I have a Thumblers tumbler. I use pool sand and red scotchbrite pad cut into 1 in. squares. I also use laundry detergent (low suds). I’ve tried mixing this with different additives, lime juice, CLP, TSP, Comet, vinegar, etc. You’ll have to experiment. I usually leave it on for a few hours. Sometimes over night. YMMV!

Like most of you, I've tried most of the recommended methods and or products...but never quite satisfied with end result. Today, I simply put the coins in a smallish plastic bottle, add enough white vinegar to cover, sprinkle a bit of salt then shake for ~5 minutes. Rinse with tap water then I toss a handful of lose change (normal, bright clad) in with the detected coins and tumble for approx. 1 to 2 hrs. Not perfect...but definitely acceptable. No media, no fluid, no mess/minimal clean up. :wow: :cool:

Often times my dimes, nickels and quarters come out like that (pink) even when I don't have any pennies mixed in. Usually they are the coins that have been in the ground a very long time.

i just try to get the dirty clean enough to cash in at the teller for granddaughter account deposit.

i have ruined some coins and had good "Looking" luck although i know a grader with a 40 power loop would tag it damaged. mine are not worth that much money and are for my enjoyment. they have environmental damage because they were 'DUG" coins with pocketwear to start with. any really great coin with a readable date that books high dont do it. let a pro. if you are worried about price. i do know a guy with a huge collection and he cleaned them himself and said.. i have no hiers.. i know the results and its frowned on, but its my collection, i like them clean for my display, it makes ME happy, and whomever i leave them too.. well cleaned coins diminished some in value is more than they would have if i did not leave them to that person. point taken. be happy

put the babes in Hollywierd under a 40 power loop... mmmmmmm.. bet they would not look as good as a clean coin...:D

KT found a cash one time, over 1000 pennies and over 200 clad and about 40 nickels...all the clad and the nickels were copper colored as they came out of the ground! Everything not copper was electroplated in a chemical reaction from reaction in the ground!:shock:

The zincolns in the cache were mostly shot.:laughing::roll:

i just try to get the dirty clean enough to cash in at the teller for granddaughter account deposit.

i have ruined some coins and had good "Looking" luck although i know a grader with a 40 power loop would tag it damaged. mine are not worth that much money and are for my enjoyment. they have environmental damage because they were 'DUG" coins with pocketwear to start with. any really great coin with a readable date that books high dont do it. let a pro. if you are worried about price. i do know a guy with a huge collection and he cleaned them himself and said.. i have no hiers.. i know the results and its frowned on, but its my collection, i like them clean for my display, it makes ME happy, and whomever i leave them too.. well cleaned coins diminished some in value is more than they would have if i did not leave them to that person. point taken. be happy

put the babes in Hollywierd under a 40 power loop... mmmmmmm.. bet they would not look as good as a clean coin...:D

plus 1

Back
Top Bottom