Interesting Item with Gold Leaf?

Job

Hi. I pulled this from my stream. This is in Plymouth, MA. It was encrusted all around with about 3/8" of rust and pebbles. It was just a blob of rust. This was my first electrolysis attempt. After 2 days in the tank, I could start popping off the rust very carefully with a small awl. I then soaked it in Dawn and water, brushing it with a small brush and lightly with a toothbrush. I did not want to peel any more of the foil off.

There seems as if there is a case with some sort of foil or leaf, which is peeling in some spots. I'm not sure which is the business end of this thing. In other words, the "case" could be the handle. I am reluctant to try and pull the 2 components apart. I can also faintly discern lettering on the "case." But then it will be invisible, so it might just be pitting and marks. The end is pretty sharp.

Any help will be welcome and appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4018.jpg
    IMG_4018.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
I'm soaking it in mineral oil now to see if I can get more black off. There is definitely lettering, but hard to decipher.

It looks like the case part has a pattern of small holes, or is it my imagination?
Holes would make it look like bristles of a brush, but that seems like an odd steel handled hairbrush...

It looks like the case part has a pattern of small holes, or is it my imagination?
Holes would make it look like bristles of a brush, but that seems like an odd steel handled hairbrush...

I think that's the pretty severe pitting from rust. As I was picking off the rust, some of the case was coming off with it. It is definitely a two-piece item. The steel seems to have slipped into the case. I am going to try to wiggle them apart, with the help of the mineral oil soak. Good chance it will fall apart, but I'm curious what the unseen half looks like!

Add: The overall length is 3 1/2".

my guess would be letter opener, knife or something along those lines. I guess comb could be possible, but I have never seen any like that. One thing that popped into mind was did they ever make straight razors that did not fold?

my guess would be letter opener, knife or something along those lines. I guess comb could be possible, but I have never seen any like that. One thing that popped into mind was did they ever make straight razors that did not fold?
I thought the exact same thing. The edge is really blunt. But under the scabbard it might be sharp. It's pretty hefty. That strange tip is quite sharp. I thought that may have been inserted into a wooden handle. Head-scratcher for sure!

Back
Top Bottom