Hunting in all-metal

If in the woods I hunt all metal because the ground is so clean that I go 30 min between beeps. If I hunt a farm or urban area I can't hunt all metal. The detector picks up so many roofing nails that there is only a split second between beeps.

I run the CTX3030 wide open, and then switch to a discrimination pattern to re-check a target to see if it falls into the discrimination area pre dig. :cool:

I use to hunt exclusively in stero mixed mode (One ear is the disc channel, the other ear the all metal channel). This has been proven to be too noisy in a lot of places I hunt, so I stopped using it for general hunting. I use it in the woods where it is much quieter. I also use it on sand.

When I first started out in this Sport, I hunted in All metal (single tone for everything)...I learned a lot accidentally...like evaluating a targets profile signature and depth based upon the audio, ...

Then I switched to Full tones after about a year and a half and have not changed from that since...So for me it was a good foundation I think, to teach me about the ways of Men and Metal...I still evaluate target profiles and depth even with the full tones...
Mud

If in the woods I hunt all metal because the ground is so clean that I go 30 min between beeps. If I hunt a farm or urban area I can't hunt all metal. The detector picks up so many roofing nails that there is only a split second between beeps.

I'm basically the same. In a trashy area, I'll usually run some discrimination. Other wise, wide open (all-metal).

I use it all the time, usually with max or near maxed settings on sense and thresh.
Very noisy sometimes, at first I could not make sense of all the jumping around and so much noise at some sites but eventually I got used to it and learned to notice when I was over good targets almost every time.
A friend told me to him I hear and see everything and my brain does all the discrimination doing it that way.
Sometimes I use disc but at extremely low settings really close to all metal as I can get and use single tone which simulates hunting in all metal with a threshold...kinda.
Both work surprisingly well for me especially in heavy trash or iron infested sites.

I do still go back to my old way of using multi tones from time to time too, mostly when sweeping parks at a higher speed.
Don't spend close to what I used to doing it that way nowadays, though.

we always hunt in all metal. mainly because we hunt relics near the Gettysburg Battlefield. we come across iron, brass, copper, lead,... and anything else that gives us a signal. if it beeps we dig!

In my opinion the term "All Metal Mode" isn't the same. It basically meant your detector didn't discriminate out any metals. Today even the AT Pro would be considered an All Metal mode when run with Iron Audio on. All metals make a noise and you base the decision to recover on tone and numbers. Same with the Deus. I run in Full Tones and 0 Discrimination. All metals produce a tone and I make my judgment to recover or not based on tone and ID.

Using the term "all metal".,, can be a bit misleading.

For example,,,fbs/fbs2 machines ,,,,running open screen,,,is not technically all metal,,,meaning don't expect additional depth capabilities with tone provided.

Deus running 0 disc is very similar,,,,true you can hear both ferrous and nonferrous metals,,but not all the detector is capable of actually providing sound for your hearing(depth).

Going to using technically all metal mode,,,additional depth is possible,,,with amount of soil minerals being a driver.

At Gold had all metal I think,,,At Pro does not,,,meaning AT gold is deeper detector in higher mineral soil vs At Pro.

Running discrimation side of the house,,and accepting all vdis ( ferrous and nonferrous) is NOT necessarily hunting in " technically" all metal.

Depends on the detector model.

Just so folks may understand better.

Using say a F75 fisher,,one of the originals,,,,a person using all metal with high sens,,,likely to be able to hear a 15" deep Civil war bullet in medium mineral soil,,wearing stock coil.
Remember,,though you won't know if the deep bullet is nonferrous or ferrous.

Take an Etrac or CTX with stock coil,,run open screen,,,on this same 15" deep bullet--- user likely to not hear anything tone wise to make them dig.

I run the CTX3030 wide open, and then switch to a discrimination pattern to re-check a target to see if it falls into the discrimination area pre dig. :cool:

I do the same with Explorer2. It's almost easier to hear everything in the ground in a wide open pattern as the signals are more "true" in nature. When you think there's a good one,analyze further...too many signals at once? Slow down and/or switch to smaller coil. Works for me...sometimes.;)

In my opinion the term "All Metal Mode" isn't the same. It basically meant your detector didn't discriminate out any metals. Today even the AT Pro would be considered an All Metal mode when run with Iron Audio on. All metals make a noise and you base the decision to recover on tone and numbers. Same with the Deus. I run in Full Tones and 0 Discrimination. All metals produce a tone and I make my judgment to recover or not based on tone and ID.

Ever play with "gold field" on the deus? That is a true all metal program. I still can't figure out how to use it.:lol:

"All Metal" does not necessarily mean "Zero Discrimination".

All Metal Mode is the same non-motion mode that is used for pinpointing. You CAN'T discriminate in All metal mode, because, well, it is ALL METAL. The benefits of using all metal mode is that since it isn't doing any filtering of the signal (save ground balance), you don't lose any information so you get to hear "deeper". All metal mode is not impacted by swing speed like the normal discrimination channel is. Normal, discrimination mode (whether you discriminate or not) is what ID's your targets. It requires motion. The two are entirely different channels.

There's no such thing as All Metal Mode on any machine that isn't threshold based. On a threshold based machine in true All Metal Mode, the threshold only breaks to respond to a detected object. It is very different than Zero Disc, which assigns a specific value to each detected object, meaning that if you're going by ID you'll experience values more constant than you would necessarily in true All Metal.

I hunt in AM most of the time with my Xterra 705, but with my Explorer I usually run in Iron Mask mode set around 18.

Using the term "all metal".,, can be a bit misleading.

For example,,,fbs/fbs2 machines ,,,,running open screen,,,is not technically all metal,,,meaning don't expect additional depth capabilities with tone provided.

Deus running 0 disc is very similar,,,,true you can hear both ferrous and nonferrous metals,,but not all the detector is capable of actually providing sound for your hearing(depth).

Going to using technically all metal mode,,,additional depth is possible,,,with amount of soil minerals being a driver.

At Gold had all metal I think,,,At Pro does not,,,meaning AT gold is deeper detector in higher mineral soil vs At Pro.

Running discrimation side of the house,,and accepting all vdis ( ferrous and nonferrous) is NOT necessarily hunting in " technically" all metal.

Depends on the detector model.

Just so folks may understand better.

Using say a F75 fisher,,one of the originals,,,,a person using all metal with high sens,,,likely to be able to hear a 15" deep Civil war bullet in medium mineral soil,,wearing stock coil.
Remember,,though you won't know if the deep bullet is nonferrous or ferrous.

Take an Etrac or CTX with stock coil,,run open screen,,,on this same 15" deep bullet--- user likely to not hear anything tone wise to make them dig.

So, I'm not sure if the OP's question was a depth related question or just a general question.

I'll see if I can find it but a thread (on another forum) by a OEM engineer, I had read, explained depth and description on a digital machine vs a analog detector. I'm paraphrasing but he had explained the digital machine's increase in discrimination does not reduce the transmit signal power similar to the analog detectors of the past. As a matter of fact your friends at HDMD have made similar comments about the Blisstool in iron infested areas.

As we all know, sensitivity settings, discrimination settings, and falsing iron has a big influence on what we see or hear every time we swing the detector.

Not sure I understand what you mean here:

Seems counterintuitive, (educate me please)

So, I'm not sure if the OP's question was a depth related question or just a general question.

I'll see if I can find it but a thread (on another forum) by a OEM engineer, I had read, explained depth and description on a digital machine vs a analog detector. I'm paraphrasing but he had explained the digital machine's increase in discrimination does not reduce the transmit signal power similar to the analog detectors of the past. As a matter of fact your friends at HDMD have made similar comments about the Blisstool in iron infested areas.

As we all know, sensitivity settings, discrimination settings, and falsing iron has a big influence on what we see or hear every time we swing the detector.

Not sure I understand what you mean here:

Seems counterintuitive, (educate me please)

When you are using discrimation side of detector and accepting all vdis ( ferrous and nonferrous) you are indeed allowing detector to use filtering-- which will limit depth moreso vs using true All Metal.

F75 is a good example one of the originals,,,,you can run in disc mode use 0 disc,,and you can run in all metal--- different setup altogether,,,,with AM being deeper overall.

An operator also using the F75 example as I have,,,take a 9" deep dime,,,what a user is likely to notice,,,coil position using discrimation mode,,,far more critical to get dime to sound off. Running true AM coil position more forgiving,,,meaning far easier to locate this target based on audio.

Not all detector feature true all metal.
At Pro don't
CTX
Etrac

At Gold does
Deus does,,hard to run though
White's V3i does

Juat to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom