Getting past wheaties (ACE 250)

shen13

I have hunted hard in just my yard and somehow dug like 19 wheat pennies
where is all the old coins?A 1919 wheatie was the oldest...Our house was built in the early 1900's..I am hoping I will hit some silver here soon..
I am thinking the ace 250 is a damm wheat magnet..

Hey, many of us have a hard time scaring up a wheatie much less silver. Been at it since mid-summer and have four wheats. I think the veteran hunters on this forum consider wheaties to be a good sign that silver will soon follow.

With a large number of wheaties like that, there HAS to be silver around there. Maybe it's somehow beyond reach of your detector? I don't know much about the ace 250, by put if it's anything like the at-pro, try dialing the sensitivity up. It'll work wonders! HH!:yes:

wheaties

These were found in just a few hunts..Deepest was like ony 3''
The 250 is turned up to 8.......coin mode...found a old axe this evening
about 7''.Yes looking at several detectors and trying to decide?
With all the new ones out its hard to decide.Every penny I hit on
the 250 (pings between 1 and 10 cents..)Still have the back yard
to go over,,I can go back over what I have already have detected and still
find pennys..

I have hunted hard in just my yard and somehow dug like 19 wheat pennies
where is all the old coins?A 1919 wheatie was the oldest...Our house was built in the early 1900's..I am hoping I will hit some silver here soon..
I am thinking the ace 250 is a damm wheat magnet..

If your finding wheaties you will find the silver too. Keep at it!

I have been detecting for 4+ years seriosly... Found my first wheat penny this year.

Hmmm. Alaska, yeah I guess I can see that.
There are lot more gold nuggets up there to find than most places, so don't sweat the wheats!

The right wheat penny can buy you most any detector you want. Some of them will pay for your Ace.

Just food for thought.
Best of luck to ya.
Jpiddle

lol, what's wrong with penny's, especially wheats? they're a good sign of other older coins and relics. :yes:
i've been to very old places before, late 1700's-early/mid 1800's and not even turned up a single coin, so i'll take penny's over finding nothing. and they do add up after a while. :p

Shewt if my bounty hunter 505 can find wheats and a merc dime a v nickle and an old barber dime . I know your detector can do way better . Id do as luke mentioned and turn up your sensitivity in yards .

I found a couple dozen wheats in my yard, over the past 3.5 years, before fined in my first, and only silver dime. Kind of thinking the loose, sandy, Florida soil lets them sink deep. The dime was past 8" deep, not sure exactly, but my Fiskars digging tool has a 7" blade. Dug the initial plug with a garden spade, had to cut a few oak tree roots with pruning shears, and still do more digging and probing. My yard, so I can dig it anyway I want. My Deleon can locate targets 8" and more, but it doesn't ID well that deep. Come up with rust nails, and other junk, more often than coins. Looking into a different machine, but doesn't look like there is much under $1,000. Lots of machines going past 8", like mine, but seems like a lot of faith-based identification as well, very faint, or a little bouncy....

I found about 2 bucks in silver this year, found them is the least expected areas, like Bart said if your finding wheat's your changes of finding silver improves as does in finding War nickels, going low and slow listening for those deep high tones has worked for me.

Wheats

This year I am doing mostly older neighborhoods (1950's) in my area and comming up with lots of wheats and silver too. Last silver a 1941-P dime at 2 inches, and average depth of silver same as wheats, about 4 inches. I would suggest doing your neighbor's yard too. I do mostly front yards. I could easly do one yard and maybe find 1 or 2 wheats, and the yard next door 30 wheats and 5 silver. I believe the silver comes from yards where kids use to live and played in the 40's and 50's, when all the coins were silver or copper. I've never hunted a house older than a 40's. This year I'm up to 165 silver coins. You gotta hunt where they are or your not going to find em.
HH everyone

I'm in the same boat, but different paddle, so to speak... 14 wheats in my own yard and only a coupleclad coins. Oldest is 1920. My house was built in 1920. I also swept the front yard next door while its vacant (for sale) and found nothing but a few modern coins on top.

Still searching for silver....

-Alex

wheaties to silver

Well the silver finally came out today,1945 silver half
3'' down and not bad for a school yard that (next me me)thats probally been hammered for years.............

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 484
If you are finding Wheats there is a good chance the silver is there somewhere. You might get some extra depth if you get out of the Coin Mode and open the screen all the way up. I believe on the Ace 250 there is a Relic Mode (there is on the 350) and this mode will give you an open screen and hopefully a tad bit more depth. Worth a try anyway. I open my CTX and Etrac up to open screen and it helps.

Well the silver finally came out today,1945 silver half
3'' down and not bad for a school yard that (next me me)thats probally been hammered for years.............

Congrats on the big silver. I was fortunate enough to pick at one of these from 1947 this year. Wasn't it weird seeing something this big "and silver" in the hole? ;)

Like the above say, it's true about finding the wheat backs. You are in silver coin territory. Keep hitting these places until you think you've cleaned them out. Then go back! :D

Hardly any places are completely hunted out!

wheats are good to find, and the 250 finds them as easy as any other machine. its up to YOU to learn what the 250 is telling you, and only then will you start finding the silver that is probably there scattered among those wheaties.

first thing you need to do is run it with as much sensitivity as the soil conditions will allow. i always run mine 1 bar from full sens, and will drop it down only if i have to.

you need to start digging those deep penny/dime hits , even the ones that consistently hit on the coins slot then flas to iron. dig some of those and you;ll be able to figure out which one is an actual coin, and which is a nail acting like a coin.

my silver count went up quick when i started diggin the bouncy coin/iron signals. when a coin is deep enough that the machine cant get a good read on it, it doesnt know what to tell you. hence the coin hit that flashes to iron. most are nails..some are good coins.

use the relic mode with sens all the way up, and notch out the iron if you dont want to hear the grunts from it. the 250 is a decent machine, and although you wont get many 8 inch or deeper finds with it, you'll find plenty of coins between 4 an 7 inches. thats where most of the silver is anyway.

Back
Top Bottom