• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"S E USERS" Try this ---

GoldenRoyBoy

SE Users!
A few things the old man has learned swinging Little Miss S E around town (s) ---

(1) Pinpointing can be a MAMA with the SE. Begin learning with the smallest coil you have. I like the 4.5 x 7 Excelerator.

(2) Bear In mind, SENSITIVITY changes with the size coil you are using. I find myself increasing sensitivity - on the smaller coils, reducing - on the larger. No matter which coil you are using, the more sensitivity, the deeper the targets you'll get. Same is true for gain. With the small coil, I run Sensitivity-32 --- Gain 8. You'll get a lot of noise at first. Your machine is telling you to slow your swing down. I don't think there's any more mineralized soil anywhere greater than what we have here in Colorado. Be sure to run "NOISE CANCEL each time you turn your machine on or change coils.

(3) If you don't have one, invest in a Sunray's attachable probe for the SE. You'll need the upper rod for the SE but it usually comes with the setup. Cost is about $150 but worth every penny. Increasing Sensitivity-Gain also effects the probe. When you begin experiencing a lot of noise all you need to do is slow your swing down. The depth of the probe is limited, usually around 3 inches in discriminate mode. If you find a target your main coil picks up but your probe won't; try jiggling the probe very fast above the approximate area. You should hear a sound-good in both directions. Digging a hole should help. I'm finding myself using the PROBE PINPOINT less and less. It's one step in recovery I'm finding I don't always need.

(4) Same is true with your main coil, if you find a target, getting a good sound swinging both directions but faint try rapidly moving your coil side to side over the area of the target. This will help you pinpoint the deep target better.

(5) Quarters, pennies, and dimes are fairly easy to know the sounds of with the SE. If you are not finding nickels, you are wasting too much time looking at the screen. You will need to dig a few pull tabs to find gold or nickel. Depth of the object affects the accuracy of the screen. No machine made is able to tell you what is 4 inches or more down. You must dig to find out for sure.

(6) Lastly, for now --- I like first working a trashy area with a small coil. Then, coming back over with a larger coil, having removed a lot of the trash on first and subsequent runs. If it is a really good area, I'll go through all of my coils progressing to a larger coil each time.

Remember, whether your swing a SE or a Garrett when you are out there hunting you're going to run into a lot of curious people. Many can be downright rude. Try smiling, saying hello. Give the kids your junk rings and clad quarters; you'll be surprised how this makes the MD'ing experience a lot more fun. I keep a supply of rings and quarters in a side pouch just for those occasions when kids come running up, asking what I'm doing. It's really cool seeing the smile on their faces when they receive their gifts.

Hope my experience (s) helps!
GRB

Last edited:
It's a good idea to run "noise cancel every 20 - 30 minutes, whenever you change locations (adjacent fields, etc), and whenever you change any settings. The gain control is an audio gain, not an electronic gain. This means that weaker signals are amplified for hearing purposes. Max gain would make all sounds both shallow and deep similar in volume. I set my Exp II to gain 6 or 7 so as to have the target volume indicate a mental picture of depth and size. This can help when you're in junk heaven.

Hello WT!
"The gain control is an audio gain, not an electronic gain."

Thanks for adding to the thread!

So, are you saying GAIN, not being electronic doesn't effect depth-sensitivity at all but is adjustable only for the benefit of the user and his particular sense of hearing?

Did I mention I'm don't have much for computers? :)
Something I've noticed about my SE and it may just be me & mine is after a couple hours of running, she becomes a little unstable. Performing NOISE REDUCTION doesn't seem to help at all. The way I've solved the problem is to turn the machine off; wait a few seconds and restart-resetting the machine to factory specs by holding down the ON button until Little Miss SE beeps. Then, I perform NOISE REDUCTION and all is well for a couple of more hours and the world is safe to play once more. Of course I RELOAD one of two patterns I've saved utilizing USER 1 & USER 2 :)

GRB

Sounds like you have a chip problem that may be heat related, or a low voltage issue???? I'd contact Minelab and get it checked out. The gain control has no bearing on depth and sensitivity, only how the signals are heard. If the gain is turned all the way up, all targets regardless of depth and size will be heard with the same audio strength. Unless you have a hearing difficulty it is a good idea to have the gain set at 60 - 70 % so that you can amplify weaker targets for clarity but not have a deeper or smaller target sound the same as say a coin about an inch below the surface.

Back
Top Bottom