Researching where people migrated back then and came to abandon railways

needler420

Elite Member
I have been trying to research better places to metal detect and comparing old maps to newer ones. I also scout old buildings when out and about.

I've come up with abandoned railways. I have one not too far from me that has become a 46 mile bike trail. I can just imagine the potential for railways. Abandoned ones shouldn't give your metal detector interference. There should be little trash from modern migrations and you could find the stuff people lost while building those railways back then.

Keep in mind that "back in the day", those that worked building the railroads often didn't have much, if anything, depending on where you're talking about.

Where you want to find ideally would be the depots and stations where people would be boarding the train.

Although even if someone has little to nothing, there's still likely stuff to be found.

Now, if you can find where the workers were paid...that would be an awesome potential site.

...Where you want to find ideally would be the depots and stations where people would be boarding the train.

Also to keep in mind: That sometimes the namesake of "station" or "depot", might have only been a drop spot or pickup spot for freight (mail drops, etc...). And not passengers. So the depots and stations to seek out, would be those that dealt with heavy passenger traffic.

Also to keep in mind: That sometimes the namesake of "station" or "depot", might have only been a drop spot or pickup spot for freight (mail drops, etc...). And not passengers. So the depots and stations to seek out, would be those that dealt with heavy passenger traffic.

Good point...I should have been more clear in my answer...that's what I meant by depot...

I have tried detecting abandoned, rails long ago torn up, small gauge lines and the amount of small cast off iron is amazing, alot hitting in the upper 40's so it was very annoying...

If i had a Crystal ball i would guess i would be predicting much iron including deep spikes in your future.

If you can keep you machine on the mild side to reduce falsing it might be ok.

Back
Top Bottom