Advice on Sidewalks with Rebar

Joe Davis

First of all thank you for providing this forum. I have already learned a lot. And second I apologize if this has been asked before. For some reason the search box was not working for me.

Anyway, I have 2 AT Pro's with the stock D coil and a 4.5 sniper coil. Been MD'ing for about a year and it is a lot of fun. Have found my share of silver including Peace dollars, Morgans, Barbers and even some CW era stuff. I have several abandoned areas I hunt and imagine there are good finds near the sidewalks. But I cannot get too close because I pickup the rebar in the sidewalk. I know it is all about patience and listening intently for the right tones but some days I don't have the patience. Any advice on how you detect near cement with rebar would be appreciated especially from some AT Pro users. Would be interested in what settings you use.

Thanks

You could try eliminating iron as much as possible, although sometimes this doesn't completely work.

I too love hunting sidewalk strips and have gotten better at it.
1. turn the sens. down some
2. don't swing walking long the edge of the sidewalk, stand back in the grass facing the sidewalk and slowly move towards it and moving sideways along the edge
Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Doesn't the concrete itself sometimes give incorrect signals? I've had this happen even with a blacktop paved path, and also on normal sidewalks i don't know how common it is for contractors to have rebar in the cement.

Turn the sens down and use the sniper coil, If that isn't enough disc out iron as well.

Thanks

Thanks again for the input. Another quick question. I know certain coils like the sniper coil and 5x8 DD are supposed to be better at trashy areas so how does that work? What makes them better at that than the 8x11 DD I am using?

Thanks

Its because the search area is actually smaller allowing you get over a good target without the coil being over a trash target at the same time.

For instance say you have silver in the ground and a nail to the right 4 inches of it. With the big coils you be over both the silver and the nail which will most likely give you an iron signal, but with the sniper or the small D coil your not covering as much physical area allowing you to just get the silver under the coil and not be over the nail.

I am new as well so if I am wrong someone please correct me but this is the way that I understand it.

A question for you: What are you thoughts on that small sniper coil for the ATP?

Bens said it. The double D coil throws down a chisel shaped field. The smaller DD throws down a narrower, but somewhat shallower field. The smaller coil will separate targets better.

That's why the advice to face the sidewalk and sweep parallel to the edge is good advice. Try to picture the shape of your coil's field. There isn't much beyond the tip and tail of the coil.

Sidewalks usually have reinforcing mesh as opposed to rebar.

GL and HH,

Papa

Member Tabdog posted about this issue,

You might want to read his posts, and then see what member Digger27 has also posted. Both are a wealth of information about searching around iron.
HH,
John Morton

Don't know about the ATpro. But I put a 6x10 eclipse on my DFX and walk down the sidewalk with the coil sideways without even swinging it. Drag the coil right at the edge dragging the ground. Gets all the stuff nobody else finds because they are swinging over the sidewalk. Find silver rings, quarters on edge, etc. Used to do the same with the MXT. CTX doesn't work as good at it. Might want to get the smallest sniper coil you can find. Some coils are shooting down in the ground like a cone. So you miss anything that isn't on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom