which gives better signals wet or dry soil?

FistFullOfCoppers

Elite Member
Im sure this has been discussed before .
But im curious about folks opinions on the matter
Which do you feel is a better hunting condition .
Wet soil or dry soil or does it even make a difference.

Oh man we get around a 3 week window of perfect uniform ground saturation right when the snow melts here where the ground literally lights up with deep clear signals.

Once it dries from the deep to the surface those signals slowly disappear.

I have an old park with clay mixed soil I only hunt in the spring and ignore shallow signals. Good luck to you!

Wetter the better

Wetter soil will give you better depth and it is easier to dig your plugs also.

Last edited:
Salt is a mineral. Ask anyone who hunts a field after it is fertilized and rained upon if wet ground gives better depth. Ask anyone who has experienced ground EMI if wet ground is better to hunt in with more depth. There are just too many variables to say. Generally speaking, signals from targets will "pop" much better when the ground is wet. That refers to all signals whether a wanted target or an unwanted target.

Salt is a mineral. Ask anyone who hunts a field after it is fertilized and rained upon if wet ground gives better depth. Ask anyone who has experienced ground EMI if wet ground is better to hunt in with more depth. There are just too many variables to say. Generally speaking, signals from targets will "pop" much better when the ground is wet. That refers to all signals whether a wanted target or an unwanted target.

Salt is most certainly a mineral. Pepper however is not....:thankyou:

I agree that more depth is attainable by having a condition of damp or wet soil, versus dry soil...due to the conductivity it allows the machine to be able to send and receive it's signal more efficiently.

EMI and mineral content are two complete different topics as far as I am concerned, as even when there is EMI and mineralization, the ability of the machine to detect deeper is still realized in damp or wet soil...versus dry powder, even though it may be hindered by these conditions to an extent.

:my2cents:

Back
Top Bottom