• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Compadre and Iron

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Ok, just lookin for verification here.

6 hunts on the Compadre so far (~8hrs). I usually run it 1/2 way between Iron and Foil.

Rusty iron - sounds good to me, and it will still sound off at max disc.

Is it safe to say, if it does not disc out, don't dig?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 298
I do not have a Compadre but larger pieces of iron are trouble for a lot of people. Sometimes it's just knowing what a good target sounds like and even that isn't 100%. Whenever I search in the iron infested sites I play around a little bit first and do a guessing game (that means purposely digging up iron just to get a feel for it). If the target is kind of scratchy and I have to be at a certain angle to get any response I'll usually put the detector at 0% discrimination listen to see if it sounds like iron. I also will gradually lift my coil off the ground (if I am coin shooting) and if I have my coil at 10+ inches off the ground and I'm still getting a hit then I'll leave it in the ground (especially at a public place) because it's going to be a larger object (meaning bigger hole).

I'm pretty good at distinguishing iron and bottle caps from good targets, but I still dig them too. Don't get discouraged. HH!

-Paul

Ok, just lookin for verification here.

6 hunts on the Compadre so far (~8hrs). I usually run it 1/2 way between Iron and Foil.

Rusty iron - sounds good to me, and it will still sound off at max disc.

Is it safe to say, if it does not disc out, don't dig?

Thanks!
Those are considered big pieces of iron=sometimes I can lift the coil and hear the skips and hesitations on these big pieces-especially the nail-looking piece. Everything else gives a smooth response.

tesoro's love the iron. In time you'll get a better feel for the slight tone and shape differences. It really frustrated me on my old Cibola but eventually I could tell better.

I do not have a Compadre but larger pieces of iron are trouble for a lot of people. Sometimes it's just knowing what a good target sounds like and even that isn't 100%. Whenever I search in the iron infested sites I play around a little bit first and do a guessing game (that means purposely digging up iron just to get a feel for it). If the target is kind of scratchy and I have to be at a certain angle to get any response I'll usually put the detector at 0% discrimination listen to see if it sounds like iron. I also will gradually lift my coil off the ground (if I am coin shooting) and if I have my coil at 10+ inches off the ground and I'm still getting a hit then I'll leave it in the ground (especially at a public place) because it's going to be a larger object (meaning bigger hole).

I'm pretty good at distinguishing iron and bottle caps from good targets, but I still dig them too. Don't get discouraged. HH!

-Paul

Thanks for the input Paul, appreciated.

Those are considered big pieces of iron=sometimes I can lift the coil and hear the skips and hesitations on these big pieces-especially the nail-looking piece. Everything else gives a smooth response.

Thanks. I spent nearly a year on the BH, figure the Compadre will take a little time too to learn the subtle tonage.

tesoro's love the iron. In time you'll get a better feel for the slight tone and shape differences. It really frustrated me on my old Cibola but eventually I could tell better.

Thanks too! I'm liking the Tesoro, just need to log some more time, and avoid the iron side of that park and the super iron trash parks until I've logged some good time on it.

Appreciate all the responses.

I do think I'll pass on any target that won't disc out.

It's also been said before that if you run your sensitivity too high, the detector has a harder time discriminating different metals.

An analogy to this is having to strong a signal at the antenna of a radio receiver. If you overload the front end with strong RF, the tuning circuits can't reject the signal even when tuned off the carrier frequency.

Just a thought,

Papa

It's also been said before that if you run your sensitivity too high, the detector has a harder time discriminating different metals.

An analogy to this is having to strong a signal at the antenna of a radio receiver. If you overload the front end with strong RF, the tuning circuits can't reject the signal even when tuned off the carrier frequency.

Just a thought,

Papa

Yeah I hear that. I'm thinking if I can't discriminate out a target, its staying in the ground! My platinum wedding band disc's out. Gold etc. Big rusty Fe does not and I don't care for it!!!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom