Any of you do any detecting at night?

-FROG-

I was thinking about throwing a few beers in a backpack putting on a head lamp and hitting a few spots for some adventure... :shock:

I've hunted into the night but have never gone out starting in the dark. I think it would be great except for the attention it might attract. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

night hunting

Hey, I hunt on the beach at night alot . I put a l.e.d. on my shaft above the loop and wead one on my hat. lots of goodies to be found and no people to contend with recomen only for beaches because of the speed and you dont have to fill in holes HH Bob Clark

I've hunted into the night but have never gone out starting in the dark. I think it would be great except for the attention it might attract. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Maybe just use one earpiece on your headphones? And :spin: your back!

Well, my days are filled with alot of car activities, so I may want to squeeze in a few expeditions at night along with all the armadillos who are also night diggers here in Texas.

Its hard enough to find targets in the day, I could imagine fumbling around in the dark trying to locate a pulltab..........:lol:
It does sound like an adventure though, something I would enjoy...............................:p

I pretty much only hunt at night when the people who go to the beach are gone for the day... makes it quieter and easier.. as for lighting I've added a backlight to my X-Terra 50.. works great... this detector is actually on ebay right now, trying to upgrade to a non-display water unit...
here's a pic.. its alot brighter than the pic because my camera sucks at dark photos.. the actual screen is bright and easily read..
you can see the switch i added at the bottom left of the unit...
detector1.jpg

and here's it lit up
detector4.jpg

I pretty much only hunt at night when the people who go to the beach are gone for the day... makes it quieter and easier.. as for lighting I've added a backlight to my X-Terra 50.. works great... this detector is actually on ebay right now, trying to upgrade to a non-display water unit...

I noticed your x-terra on ebay about 12 hours ago. You might want to add another picture of the display - shot in bright light - the same shot you have now but with information displayed on the display - so people will know it works and is easy to read in the light. You might also want to tell them you're switching to a machine you can use in the water and that's why you're selling this one after owning it for only 2 weeks.

The first thing that came to my mind was 'why is this guy selling a machine he's only had for 2 weeks? There must be something wrong with it.'

If I had the cash handy, I'd be bidding on it. Good Luck.

Rich

night digging

ive a good bit of night hunting.the land owners i hunt on do not want a buch of people asking for permission by seeing me hunt.its a bit different from daylight hunts

I would not hunt at night. I have no reason too. SInce I am semi retired and work only a few hours a week I have lots of time to hunt during the day. Granted, the summer is hot and I think some people might want to hunt early in the morning or late at night when the temps have cooled down. Probably works well enough at the beach.

Just my opinion, but I think hunting residential sites at night is dangerous. Many people that do probably don't want to approach the owner of the property and ask for permission. Just my opinion.

Also, I don't need to draw attention to myself. Some Block Watch neighbor see's someone in a yard with a light digging around is probably going to alert the authorities. Who needs THAT kind of attention. Unless your hunting on the beach at night to stay cool in the summer, I wouldn't do it.
Robert R(:-)

Night hunting can be fun.. but also dangerous... depending on the area. Urban night hunting should be done only if it is a 'safe' area, the two legged animals prowl at night...... rural areas have their own issues... trips and falls, night critters of the four legged or crawling variety .... and of course, be sure the property owner (if any) is aware you will be there... a butt full of rocksalt (or worse) is very unpleasant.. As for beaches... YOU SHOULD ALWAYS FILL YOUR HOLES.... runners, or walkers, could step in and hurt themselves ... RickO

hi, yesterday i made a 1 hour hunt,in a place ive been searching for about a month ,got almost completely dark around 8.45 p.m. while walking out through my path i kept the detector in front of me,by than i usually have it off,but this time i kept it on hoping for 1 mor hit.Got a strong signal so decided to dig but could hardly see anything,im actually in a heavy wooded area,the detector said 4 inches dug a few scoops of dirt,picked up a few handfuls and found whatever it was was in my hand, seeing it wasnt a rifle shell,found quite a few of them ,it turned out to be a penny,allright,got home cleaned it up an old 1944 wheat,and it made my day,thanks

I've done a bunch of night hunting in the summer--it sure beats the heat of the day! My last night hunt started around 9:00pm and ended around 1:00am--I wear a 5 LED clip-on hat light, but only turn it on when I'm recovering a target.

Back
Top Bottom