Small Dime???

MikeinHamptonva

Anyway I was going through my change at the 7-11 and I thought at first it was a forigen coin but low and behold... just wonder if it is valuable past a "wow Neato" factor it appears that this is a mint job.. anyone have a clue??

Attachments

• dime1.jpg
    dime1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,876
  • dime2.jpg
    dime2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,771
I've never seen any thing like that. The size is so obviously smaller too. Someone else posted a similar recent coin mint error on a different thread here earlier today too.

I've often wondered why coins like that don't fetch collector prices when those older "double dies" do. They're both minting errors. Can anybody explain that?

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting that Mike.

Ok

So anyone have any idea where I could start to find out first if the coin is genuine then on two how many like it might have made it out of the mint what type of error and finally if it has any real value.

Thanks

It is one of a set of "miniature" United States coins. You can buy the sets on e-bay. Like you said, not valuable but interesting.:D

P.S.

On second thought, it like like someone modified an original dime for some reason. The details match the original dime's size.

Can you see clad layers on the edge? Do you have a scale to weigh it? And compare it to the normal dime.... If you perform those two checks and let me know the results, I can perhaps direct you to the proper venue. RickO

It looks to me that dime was struck on a wrong size planchet at the mint. The problem is figuring what planchet it was. I think the U.S. mints coins for other nations as well as ours. It could be a planchet for a foriegn coin. Very interested to see what you find out.

Is the edge reeded? It could just be some coin that someone put in a lathe and cut down for some reason.

I'm with Digup on this one,if the edge does not appear damaged,looks

like a wrong planchet error.If you could get real good pics,there are

some guys who specialize in this area that could help out.Cool find!!!

From Wikipedia.com:

Wrong planchet
This occurs when a denomination is struck on a planchet of a different denomination. Some examples include cents struck on dime planchets, nickels on cent planchets, or quarters on dime planchets. Sacagawea dollars have been reported with statehood quarter designs on the reverse. A much rarer error is a U.S denomination struck on a foreign planchet (17th,18th, and 19th centuries only).

Obviously that dime was struck on the wrong planchet, and one that's smaller than a dime. What's smaller than a dime? Might be a foreign planchet?

I think Dig up is on the right track. The other details (head, etc.) seem to be the right size. There may have been a Commenmorative Coin that would take a smaller planchet, or it could be a defective planchet. I don't collect commemoratives, but don't recall seeing anything advertised that would be smaller than a dime. In any event, I'd keep it. Sometimes it takes some time for errors to be discovered. You could try selling it one month and get no takers, then the error could be written up in a magazine and interest can go through the roof. You could try a coin collecting website for info. Error Coin collecting is a HUGE field. Lots of interest. There's bound to be info out there if you're patient. Curt

When I was a kid i would help my uncle clean out the lint traps in a laundry mat I would find coins that got caught in the fins on the dryer and rolled the edges down yours looks like that. Sometimes they would look hammered sometimes they were just smaller missing the metal around the rim, another possibility to consider. Its amazing what people would loose cause it got left in their clothes I used to find all sorts of coins and jewelry. He let me keep it for helping.

Is it the same thickness as a normal dime? I think it's been shrunk, in which case it would be thicker than normal.

If it was the wrong size planchet, the edge of the lettering would be stamped to the edge of the coin--there would be no rim.

I think someone just shaved it down...maybe held it on a belt sander or somthing...all the details look to be correct in size to a normal dime..there are no wrinkles to suggest its been shrunk.

Small Dime

I have a very ( almost identical characteristics ) similar dime as mikeinhamtonva except mine is 197(?) D. I discovered it this past week as I was cataloguing my childhood coin collection. I'm 73 and decided to use my pastime during this stay-in shelter.
Can anyone shed any information. This is my first site and I will explore others sites to seek info.
Thanks

I think someone just shaved it down...maybe held it on a belt sander or somthing...all the details look to be correct in size to a normal dime..there are no wrinkles to suggest its been shrunk.

This^

Compare the distance from the letters to the edge of the coin, the edges are sanded down..

Back
Top Bottom