• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found several mason jars in small area 1900s house

Detectingman

Found an old house site in the woods. The house is long gone but started detecting the area. Found several mason jar lids in a 10 b 10 foot area. Just wondering if this could be where they dumped their trash. After digging up the 10th mason lid I hit a different area. Any clues which should be looked for to find a cache? So far the only thing I found was an old beat up insurance plaque from a car.

Once I ran into the same situation. I took a little probe and started probing the ground in the area of the mason jars lids and I found several small bottles from about early 1900. I never would have found them without the combination detector/ probe combination.

I dug a Mason jar 2 years ago that was filled with big bullets. In the ground beneath it were hundreds more. 50 stripper clips and 300+ live rounds of .30 ammo,dated 1931 and 1937.

Wish the jar has jewelry or coins but you take what you get.

Attachments

• 36679A37-2226-402E-B9BF-3827B7881B2D.jpeg
    36679A37-2226-402E-B9BF-3827B7881B2D.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 554
  • EF601F83-CFE7-4DEC-B2F3-93AF04FC08CF.jpeg
    EF601F83-CFE7-4DEC-B2F3-93AF04FC08CF.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 815E9C25-FA71-4338-9250-D2E7628BF593.jpeg
    815E9C25-FA71-4338-9250-D2E7628BF593.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 533
  • DDA408CD-AD6A-4E2D-A1FA-50EEFBA8F4D5.jpeg
    DDA408CD-AD6A-4E2D-A1FA-50EEFBA8F4D5.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 538
Once I ran into the same situation. I took a little probe and started probing the ground in the area of the mason jars lids and I found several small bottles from about early 1900. I never would have found them without the combination detector/ probe combination.

Absolutely. Those lids seem to be everywhere but only digging or probing will determine if anything's below. I look for surface "junk" and probe out those areas all the time.

Yeah headed back out there this morning found some porcelain liners but the lids are totally rusted/destroyed. Also found a little copper pendant.

I dug a Mason jar 2 years ago that was filled with big bullets. In the ground beneath it were hundreds more. 50 stripper clips and 300+ live rounds of .30 ammo,dated 1931 and 1937.

Wish the jar has jewelry or coins but you take what you get.

Wow! Bet you never expected that. Now a days that would be worth its weight in silver (ammo) lol. Did that signal overload or read normal? I have read that cache signals never overload.

Absolutely. Those lids seem to be everywhere but only digging or probing will determine if anything's below. I look for surface "junk" and probe out those areas all the time.

Yeah we definitely found the trash pits at the property. There are three areas with broken mason jars all over and some metal junk sheeting. Also found a couple brass oil lamp parts. Do you think there might be whole bottles below? I am actually trying to find coins on this house (which actually dates to pre-civil war). What's strange is I cannot seem to locate any of the existing foundation to find the house itself.

Yeah we definitely found the trash pits at the property. There are three areas with broken mason jars all over and some metal junk sheeting. Also found a couple brass oil lamp parts. Do you think there might be whole bottles below? I am actually trying to find coins on this house (which actually dates to pre-civil war). What's strange is I cannot seem to locate any of the existing foundation to find the house itself.

You won't know if there are any buried bottles unless you probe it out. They could be just below the surface or they could be 2 ft. or more down.

You won't know if there are any buried bottles unless you probe it out. They could be just below the surface or they could be 2 ft. or more down.

Thanks! Yeah there are several broken mason jars laying around right on top so going to try to dig it out some and detect it a bit maybe tomorrow. I did find a nice pendant there today about 30 feet from the dump/privy site. I forgot to mention but I did find pieces of broken brick and tiles near the mason jars so that may also be a tip as well...

Back
Top Bottom