NOX Tones??

CoryTDF

Ok, the NOX will allow for hunting with 5 or 50 tones. So when it comes to tones do you hunt with 5 or 50? Why?

I hunt with 50, mostly because I came off a Compadré so I’m a sound guy more than visual, and I also figured if I started with 50 I’d get the most out of the detector and learn it sound-wise quicker

I hunt with 50, mostly because I came off a Compadré so I’m a sound guy more than visual, and I also figured if I started with 50 I’d get the most out of the detector and learn it sound-wise quicker

Doesn't it drive you nuts how much more chatter it seams to have? I like 5 better but I wonder if I am missing targets due to this??

In 50 tone one would use some discrimination, or at least set the iron audio levels very low. 50 tone with all targets at the same volume with no disc makes no sense.

Doesn't it drive you nuts how much more chatter it seams to have? I like 5 better but I wonder if I am missing targets due to this??

Mine doesn’t seem to chatter more on 50 tones. It does give a wider range of audio info, I just listen for the nice sounding tones. But apparently I’m weird or something looking at the other replies :laughing: I don’t mind the sounds. I don’t normally have iron on, but I will sometimes turn it on if I need some bass to the music ;). I’d be tempted to switch to 5 tones if jl1252 stated that’s all he ever used - because he’s local and has similar conditions, but I think I do “ok” considering where I hunt.

In 50 tone one would use some discrimination, or at least set the iron audio levels very low. 50 tone with all targets at the same volume with no disc makes no sense.

I do not usually have the iron audio on when I hunt. I’ll toggle it sometimes but there is a lot of iron in the ground around here and it’ll be like a bass beat bonanza. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t, but I go 50 tones / Field 2 most of the time.

I do not usually have the iron audio on when I hunt. I’ll toggle it sometimes but there is a lot of iron in the ground around here and it’ll be like a bass beat bonanza. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t, but I go 50 tones / Field 2 most of the time.

Just run it in one tone............Key of G and you will get all the high conductors. (For all you heavy metal guys) :lol:

Attachments

• guitar.jpg
    guitar.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 320
I hunt in 5 tones in all metal mode. I also hunt in a lot of trash and 50 tones would drive me nuts. I am suspect on the validity of being able to tell closely pitched tones apart. I'm a tone and numbers guy.

I use 5 tones , Recovery speed 4-6 depending on trash density, and Iron bias at FE 4.
VDI -9-0 -- silenced and notched out.
1-10 low volume ,but audible and very low tone (2)
11-14- max volume mid tone (15)
15-18 low volume - lower tone (8)
19 and above -Max volume, high tone (25)

I don't hear most iron unless it is deep and rusty, causing a falsing inconsistent deep high tone squeak - in which case , turn on the iron audio and check for negative VDIs. If I can lock on a consistent high tone in two directions, I dig it, regardless of negative VDIs -More than once I have found wheats or silver in close proximity to rusty nails or wire.
Nickels, pull tabs and ring pulls scream at at me and if I get a solid 12-13 in multiple directions, I dig. If it is deeper and jumps down to 11, I dig. Often it is a nickel and a couple of times - gold. If I see a 14 mixed in there, I usually pass.
1-10 and 15-18, I usually ignore unless they are solid repeaters and/or deep. I still like to hear them because it gives me a feel for the trash density in a particular area. If the trash density picks up, I slow my swing way down and really pay attention to my coil coverage. High trash density means high human activity and I still find silver beneath the trash layer in my heavily detected parks by working those areas slow and deliberately.
19-21, I only dig in parks if they show deep. I always dig them in older curb strips or older private yard permissions.
22 and above, I dig. I get lots of screw caps that read 23-25 but I put up with them because just as often, 23-25 is a clad dime.

I know this isn't a foolproof strategy because just yesterday, mostly out of curiosity I dug a jumpy 15-17 because it showed maximum depth on the meter. Turned out to be a 1946 Jefferson nickel and 1945 wheat penny stacked on top of each other.
But for me, 5 tones set up this way give me enough info that I get most of the good stuff but still leave a good amount of the trash.

In trashy, old parks.

50 tones
-9 to 9 Notched Out
14 to 17 Notched Out
38 to 40 Notched Out

Threshold at 6 to hear the nulls.

Why Field 2? You don't like the park settings?

I use 5 tones , Recovery speed 4-6 depending on trash density, and Iron bias at FE 4.
VDI -9-0 -- silenced and notched out.
1-10 low volume ,but audible and very low tone (2)
11-14- max volume mid tone (15)
15-18 low volume - lower tone (8)
19 and above -Max volume, high tone (25)

I don't hear most iron unless it is deep and rusty, causing a falsing inconsistent deep high tone squeak - in which case , turn on the iron audio and check for negative VDIs. If I can lock on a consistent high tone in two directions, I dig it, regardless of negative VDIs -More than once I have found wheats or silver in close proximity to rusty nails or wire.
Nickels, pull tabs and ring pulls scream at at me and if I get a solid 12-13 in multiple directions, I dig. If it is deeper and jumps down to 11, I dig. Often it is a nickel and a couple of times - gold. If I see a 14 mixed in there, I usually pass.
1-10 and 15-18, I usually ignore unless they are solid repeaters and/or deep. I still like to hear them because it gives me a feel for the trash density in a particular area. If the trash density picks up, I slow my swing way down and really pay attention to my coil coverage. High trash density means high human activity and I still find silver beneath the trash layer in my heavily detected parks by working those areas slow and deliberately.
19-21, I only dig in parks if they show deep. I always dig them in older curb strips or older private yard permissions.
22 and above, I dig. I get lots of screw caps that read 23-25 but I put up with them because just as often, 23-25 is a clad dime.

I know this isn't a foolproof strategy because just yesterday, mostly out of curiosity I dug a jumpy 15-17 because it showed maximum depth on the meter. Turned out to be a 1946 Jefferson nickel and 1945 wheat penny stacked on top of each other.
But for me, 5 tones set up this way give me enough info that I get most of the good stuff but still leave a good amount of the trash.

Lots of info here. Thank you! So, no 19-21? I am guessing you don't like digging zinc pennies?

Back
Top Bottom