Review of Minelab 17" DD Smart Coil for CTX-3030

Trunkman

Lucky me. My wife bought me a 17" DD coil for my CTX 3030 as a birthday present. I had been running the standard coil that came with the unit. I wasn't sure I wanted to keep the new one as I read several forum threads that had both positive and negative comments. So I decided to attach the new coil and wrapped it double thick in a heavy duty trash bag. This way I could try it myself briefly without damaging/scratching it in any way should I decide to return it.

The main issues I wanted to address were the weight of the coil, the altered balance with a larger coil, depth gained and any added ability to find targets easier/better.

I figured the best way to compare was to hit an area I've been detecting all year. I've put in at least 40 to 60 hours there this year. I went back to a particular spot there that I have already covered twice. I was pretty sure I found all the non-trash stuff by now.

The toughest part was using the pinpointer with the black garbage bag covering the coil. In hindsight, I should have used a clear garbage bag. Anyhow, I started finding new targets very quickly. I found several clad, 1 wheat and a silver quarter. At that point I was convinced that I was keeping the coil and proceeded cut to the bag off the coil. That sure felt freeing.

Results:

I found pinpointing from that point on to be very easy and accurate.

I was able to get solid readings at greater depth. Most of the finds came in anywhere from 6 to 10". I dug some nails at 12". I even had some trashy targets ring at 14"! I didn't dig those though. These results were at least 2" better than the 11" coil and in some cases much better.

I found the balance of the whole unit to be fine. Even though it is a little heavier, I was no more fatigued than when I used the 11" coil.

The 17" coil was just as easy to swing as the 11" coil.

The larger coil allowed me to cover more ground faster.

Final tally of finds in 2 hours over an area I've already covered twice before:
2 wheats, $1.51 clad, 1 silver quarter, an 1844 Large Cent (excellent condition), Gold Brooch, Small engraved Silver Ladies compact (1800s)

I'm convinced this coil enabled me to make these new finds. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow!

Last edited:
You must be younger than me or have a better coil than mine. I wasn’t happy with my first one and sent it in for a replacement. This was better but not better/deeper than my 11” - thing is my first 11” was problematic too and i had gotten it replaced as well. I find that my 11” is as deep as I could hope for and it swings faster than the 17” so it actually covers more ground. And forget me using the 17” in the waves. I walk fast and have a fast swing on dry sand. I’d prefer a bigfoot if any coil maker is reading this.

Speaking on the whole coil topic. Why the hell can't these manufacturers maker a coil ( any size) about 3/8-1/2" thick in carbon fiber or something ? Especially when you get to these mega size coils. It would be so much easier to swing. Forget about counter balanced shafts , control box behind the elbow , etc. I thinks others would be willing to pay extra for this.

Trunkman, thanx for the review of the monster hoola-hoop for the 3030. I agree with your assessment (in my limited 3030 experiences).

On most every detector ever made, it seems that the 10.5 to 12" coil is the "point of diminishing returns". Ie.: you only get larger objects deeper, not coin-sized objects deeper. Hence that is the reason why most every machine comes standard with about an 11" -ish coil. Those are the best trade-offs for coin-sized targets (which most md'rs are after).

And going with larger coils *usually* only means bigger targets deeper, not coins. But a few select certain machines seemed to have bucked that . Namely, yes, the 3030, with that 17" coil. It will indeed add a few inches to some coin-sized targets, in certain conditions. Like a dime to 14", or a quarter to nearly 1.5 ft. deep (but only in clean wide open beach-like conditions).

The downsides of any such larger coil, is : Fishier pinpointing, and more prone -to-masking (hence not usually good in junky conditions). Also heavier to swing, and fishier warbly tones.

But for something like wide-open field or beach, that 17" does indeed have its place.

Another machine I've seen that can get coin-sized targets deeper with monster coils, is the Sovereign with WOT (15") coil. But it's very very fishy and warbly. And would be difficult to replicate the depths in normal junky turf or something. But on the beach I watched a guy dig a corroded zinc, at a measured 1.5 ft. deep. And accurately "call" it ahead of time , with his after-market TID meter. I was utterly amazed. But as said: It comes with a cost of fishiness, and I wouldn't think it would be useful anywhere other than the wide open beach, where targets are singular and separated generally.

Great write-up ! Thanx !

Very good review.

I enjoyed the extra depth and coverage with mine, but the weight was a bit too much for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments, and some very good points.

BKlein - The one comment that struck me was using it at the beach and more specifically in the waves. I detect in the ocean or at the beach VERY infrequently. Being in Western NY, its old homesteads for me. I would never dream of trying the 17" coil in the water. The waves would make it really difficult to use. I think I too would get tired quickly. Pretty much take the fun out of it. Frankly, I didn't find the 11" coil to be all that easy to use in the waves when I was in Florida earlier in the year. So I'd have to agree with you on using it in the water. I'd like to try it on the sand though.

KOB - That is a great idea making the coil out of carbon fiber. I wonder why they haven't done that yet?

TOM IN CA - Your comments are like others I read. That's why I covered my coil with heavy plastic bags when testing it out. As I mentioned, I was so impressed after just 15 minutes that I knew it wasn't going back to the store and I took the plastic off. What I found to be real helpful was switching to a high trash mode. A custom program, not the minelab program. It cut out a lot of the noise and made it fairly easy to identify targets. I'm going to continue using this program at this site due to the abundance of nails and old iron. Try some good high trash programs to cut out some of the warbling on the 17" coil. The one I use most is called Dr. Tones. He has a regular and a high trash. I altered his high trash slightly based on my soil conditions and it worked great on the 17" coil. Not much chirping and good pinpointing.

Rattlehead - I only detect for 1 to 2 hours when I go out. That's probably why the larger coil doesn't tire me out. I could see getting fatigued after a few hours though.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Here is my 2 cents. I ran the 3030 for 3 years, 5+ days a week. I think I can say the larger coil is worth the extra loot. Very good points here but I have to say it is slightly deeper. It will help that target on the fringe sound better.
Also, for me that Dr tones is what I ran. Loved it, slightly customized though.
I would swing for most of the day. Likely why I have back problems now! Sux
Jer

Back
Top Bottom