• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The Eagle!

CarsonChris

Elite Member
It was hard getting a decent photo of the Eagle I found yesterday. I managed a better photo this morning. The lighting wasn’t right yesterday. 73ED4581-C3DE-4D4C-886B-44D55A53A5BC.jpeg

Yes, incredibly great find.

Guessing this is a $1 coin or is an 'Eagle' a $10 coin?
I couldn't read the back in the photo in your other post.

Chris, even for CA and west-coast state's hunters, a gold coin is the holy-grail. And on the east coast, EVEN THE TOP NOTCH guys will rarely ever get a gold coin to their name.

You are on the right track to be studying the emigrant trail stuff. Because go-figure: When those easterners packed up their entire life to head this way on the "westward ho" gold rush times, they tended to consolidate all their wealth into weight/cargo-space sensitive loads. Eg.: instead of 500 large cents, they'd have a single $5, etc...... So whereas your relicky sites may not give up a lot of old coins, yet : When it DOES, they are often-time doozies.

There was several ways to CA : Around the horn by ship, or overland. And overland could be through the desert route (then heaven-help you if you got caught in the hot-summers). Or over the Sierras (heaven help you if you got caught in the winter snows). Or compromises like the Oregon route, which had slightly lower passes and elevations (yet added distance).

So you have lots of history at your finger tips ! Congratz on the gold coin.

Thats amazing. I couldn't imagine the feeling of seeing a gold coin in the hole.

Big congrats and welcome to the gold coin club.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Fantastic! Please give us a nice pic of the reverse too? I don't know my gold coins very well, as I have not dug many...uh...ok...any.

I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish..........

That's a great find!! Congratulations on something 99% of us will never find. Sure would like to hear a little of the backstory on the find.

Ken

I get goose bumps when I look at that coin. Well ok maybe not but damn that is frickin fabulously spectacular off the charts. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

A couple of years ago I was contacted by a guy who wanted to get back into detecting. I helped him get equipped (Ace 250) and pinpointer and made sure he was ready to set forth.

A week later he sent me pictures of his SECOND TARGET. A 1876 $20 DOUBLE EAGLE. Every time we talk I tell him that I hate him.

Attachments

• 3FE12E08-3D75-43EC-85E9-0A65BEDB4459.jpg
    3FE12E08-3D75-43EC-85E9-0A65BEDB4459.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,401
Back
Top Bottom