Help Please, Excal 2 PCB Issues ?

GregE

Hello to everyone,

I have an Excal 2 that has started to act very unstable and erratic when I try to adjust the sensitivity above 6 no matter what the beach soil conditions are. The threshold acts crazy and noisy, in or out of the water and it constantly falses. I bought it new back in 2013 and when I first got it, it was a dream come true. But now it has become a nightmare. I thought maybe the battery pack was going bad since it had 7 years of use on it and maybe that would solve the problem.

I packed the machine up and sent it back to ML and explained the problem to them. The sent me an email, then I called them. Their reply was that the PCB needed to be replaced for it to run stable to the tune of $600.00+ what the heck???!!!

Please help, advice needed !!

Greg

That's rough, sorry to hear.
The good thing with having them do the work is you will know it's done right and will be good for a few more years. Excals aren't cheap these days but they are still worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that OBN or someone that he knows on this forum or in his travels, might have access to the parts and knowledge to do this repair for me. $600+ bucks sent to the ML service department is completely out of the question for me right now.

Is it possible to get a PCB and do the dang job myself????

Other than that, forking out the money that Minelab wants to do this job, is just ridiculous. I'll just have to use the machine as it is until it just dies.

Thanks again

I don’t know of anyone that repairs boards. I could give it a shot but I’d recommend trying a different known good coil on it.

Minelab is a little pricey...my 3030 broke ..664.00 later...Pretty sure they keep all the replacement parts in house!

Hi guys,
First off, I'd like to say a big THANK YOU!! to each and every one of you, for all of your help! I'm so sorry that it took me so long to get back to you all and let you know what the results were on this problem with my machine.
I had decided to ship my Excal 2 back to Minelab Detector Center just before I joined the forum, that was on Nov. 2nd and today John DeArmitt just called me to tell me that he was packing it up to send it back tomorrow morning problem solved!!

He replaced the Sensitivity POT and the Threshold POT and that was the whole problem. Man!!! I am a happy camper!!! It wasn't the PCB after all. I have had this same problem with two White's Beach Hunters in the past several years. Ain't that something? So, once again thank you for your help, and hopefully now I can get back to doing what I love so much swinging my Excal.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom