Treasure trove found in house by new owners....

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject....11/18/us/south-carolina-coins-trnd/index.html
Not sure what I would have done ?
But it would make my collection a little bigger and brighter.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Surely they left out the part where the previous homeowner gave them at least one coin for the trouble and honesty. Otherwise, that's a huge jerk move, especially him saying he wouldn't have ever remembered where he left them had he even noticed they were missing. Apparently he had taken it out of his safe years ago where a larger collection is stored and didn't bother to put it back in right away and forgot about it.

Last edited:
I think I would have left the coins in the built-in drawer and waited for the former owner of the house to come back and claim them. Maybe he never remembers them. If he does, just say "we never noticed them in there". Am I bad for thinking that way? :lol:

Usually after 60 days of purchasing a property, (purchase agreement)
Any items left in or on a property, is now the new owners ...
Finders keepers?

Usually after 60 days of purchasing a property, (purchase agreement)
Any items left in or on a property, is now the new owners ...
Finders keepers?

There are lost items, mislaid items, and abandoned items. Lost and mislaid items remain the property of the original owner to the practical limits of being able to identify the original owner.

This is pretty much the definition of a mislaid item. The true owner intentionally put it somewhere, unintentionally forgot where he put it, and left it behind. The true owner is easily identified and because of its value it is reasonable to assume it was mislaid rather than abandoned.

Last edited:
I have seen folks describing how the might have kept the coins legally. There are many ways to do immoral things legally. If you know it is not yours to keep it would actually be stealing. Even of you could do it legally. I'm not claiming to be a saint but I know I would feel bad about it for all of my days and I would never fully enjoy the windfall. I have had remorse over less things than that. I can only hope i would have the strength to return them and live out my days with a satisfied mind and a clear conscious. Not preaching. That's just how I feel about it.

Back
Top Bottom