If you could replace the CTX3030....

PaulAZ

Hello! New to the forum although have been watching for a long time. I see there are some very experienced folks on here and I’d be grateful for your feedback and experience. I’ve been detecting for 7-8 years, and 95% of what I do is of old camps, ghost towns and abandoned homesteads out here in the AZ desert. Lots of old nails and beer bottle caps, and being in the Arizona desert we have our share of mineralization. About 2 years ago I bought a used CTX3030 and XP Deus. I was so happy with the CTX that I didn’t use the Deus that much, and eventually sold it. It was a noisy machine and I just wasn’t hitting on all cylinders with it. The CTX is fantastic although the weight gets old, even with a sling (when I go out, it’s all day). I am toying with the idea of a new detector and curious to what you would recommend. Minelab FBS has been great, I can stick with it (I.E. the lighter Equinox 800), or perhaps I go to a new manufacturer and try their platforms/ operating system of multi, VLF or single frequency and see what results I get. Notka Makro seems to have done a good job with their detectors, and the Amfibio Multi is enticing. And 2.2 pounds lighter than the CTX.
If there were no such thing as the CTX, what would you recommend and why? Or, what aside from the CTX would be a good detector based on where I hunt?
Thanks for your feedback!
Pablo

Unfortunately there is no upgrade from the CTX if you really like FBS like I do. The CTX is the latest and greatest FBS machine. If I had no choice but to replace it, I'd go for an Etrac (which I've owned before).. But like I said, that's not exactly an upgrade since its an older machine. I'm with you 100%. There is definitely something special about Minelab's FBS technology and I'd LOVE to see them release a new lightweight FBS based detector. I doubt that will happen but it would be nice!

Minelab FBS has been great, I can stick with it (I.E. the lighter Equinox 800)
Just a FYI, the Equinox is not FBS.

It is a great detector though. It is lighter and faster than the CTX. Outstanding for picking tough targets out of iron/trash. It doesn't give the same sweet silver tones and solid ID as an FBS machine IMHO. Having said that, if I couldn't own an FBS machine the Equinox would be my choice from the current crop of detectors offered. For the type of hunting you're describing I think it would be a good choice. Here's a review I posted if you care to read it:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=259041

Rattlehead, thanks for your informative post! Good clarification on the 800 not being FBS....I am still trying to wrap my head around the difference between FBS and Multi. I am planning on keeping the 3030 in my arsenal, I just love seeing the "12-42" and knowing silver is down there.... But you really do have me seriously looking at the 800 now. Your post did an excellent job of really diving into all facets of the 800 including your programming, which will be very helpful if I purchase one. Your post and videos do an excellent job of informing us and making one more comfortable purchasing the Equinox. I read on a forum a while ago that 'not too many CTX users are buying 800's', but...that doesn't seem to be the case at all. It seems alot of CTX users have in fact added the 800 to their collections. I probably will be too.
Its great that the 'norm' of coin finds back in GA are 1800's....long before AZ was even a state!

Paul, the strength of the NOX's is in iffy signals. This is where they shine. You will not be that impressed with the multi freq if you just use it as a beep and dig machine on good targets. If you purchase one and you are not impressed contact me and I will help you. I also have the ctx and etrac, they are my go to machines when i encounter a lot of modern non ferrous trash situations. But when the site is mostly iron and very little modern non ferrous trash i will not use anything but Nox.

Thanks Paul. Glad you found the review helpful. The Equinox and CTX compliment each other nicely IMHO. Whether it’s coin shooting, relic hunting or beach hunting you’ll have all the bases covered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul, the strength of the NOX's is in iffy signals. This is where they shine. You will not be that impressed with the multi freq if you just use it as a beep and dig machine on good targets. If you purchase one and you are not impressed contact me and I will help you. I also have the ctx and etrac, they are my go to machines when i encounter a lot of modern non ferrous trash situations. But when the site is mostly iron and very little modern non ferrous trash i will not use anything but Nox.

Trashfinder, thanks for the input and I appreciate your offer to help if needed. I had an E-Trac years ago and I kind of regret selling it. Coming from an Ace 250 it was a jaw-dropper with how much silver I was finding! Good to know you use the Nox for high iron and little modern NF trash- that is exactly what I hunt in.

Thanks Paul. Glad you found the review helpful. The Equinox and CTX compliment each other nicely IMHO. Whether it’s coin shooting, relic hunting or beach hunting you’ll have all the bases covered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that! Thanks Rattlehead

I too prefer the FBS technology. I recently bought a nox 600, and it is a good machine, but for coins nothing beats FBS. The nox has a fast recovery and you can pick out things in amongst targets with relative ease, but comparing it to the CTX or Etrac is like comparing apples to oranges. I still have alot to learn about the equinox, but seasoned nox owners rave about it. There are leaking issues with some of the units, but it sounds like you will be doing mostly land hunting.

A detector that looks interesting to me but I haven't used is the nokta makro anfibio multi. Its not multi frequency, but it is selective frequency with 5, 14, and 20 khz. And its waterproof to 16.4 feet. It has the option to go up to 99 tones, which i like a machine that has alot of tones or at least the capability.

If I get another one, I would probably get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Since you are in some moderate to high mineralization, I, like others have done, would recommend the Equinox 600 or 800. I gold prospect with it near Wickenburg, Prescott and in Colorado often and it is the only VLF besides the Gold Monster 1000 that has never let me down in the mineralization there. I have used several of the Nokta Makro gold specific detectors and some of the big name Whites too, and they had major problems with the mineralization. The Deus and ORX did okay. The Equinox has so many features on it that are specifically geared towards handling high mineralization. Some of them are automatically happening in the background which is where it separates itself from FBS. Multi IQ just does a lot better in hot ground because Minelab has been able to really speed up the signal processing when compared to FBS technology.

Two of my hunting buddies are longtime CTX 3030 users and both have moved over to the Equinox for most of there really tough mineralization hunting and save the CTX for milder ground.

I too prefer the FBS technology. I recently bought a nox 600, and it is a good machine, but for coins nothing beats FBS. The nox has a fast recovery and you can pick out things in amongst targets with relative ease, but comparing it to the CTX or Etrac is like comparing apples to oranges. I still have alot to learn about the equinox, but seasoned nox owners rave about it. There are leaking issues with some of the units, but it sounds like you will be doing mostly land hunting.

A detector that looks interesting to me but I haven't used is the nokta makro anfibio multi. Its not multi frequency, but it is selective frequency with 5, 14, and 20 khz. And its waterproof to 16.4 feet. It has the option to go up to 99 tones, which i like a machine that has alot of tones or at least the capability.

If I get another one, I would probably get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you Marjam, Always appreciate feedback. I have heard the Nox does take some getting used to. The curve from my E-trac to CTX was fairly easy, not sure how the Nox will be. 50 hours seems to be what I see out there.
I agree with the Anfibio Multi... I have spent alot of time online researching and it seems to be a great machine. I am intrigued with it.

Since you are in some moderate to high mineralization, I, like others have done, would recommend the Equinox 600 or 800. I gold prospect with it near Wickenburg, Prescott and in Colorado often and it is the only VLF besides the Gold Monster 1000 that has never let me down in the mineralization there. I have used several of the Nokta Makro gold specific detectors and some of the big name Whites too, and they had major problems with the mineralization. The Deus and ORX did okay. The Equinox has so many features on it that are specifically geared towards handling high mineralization. Some of them are automatically happening in the background which is where it separates itself from FBS. Multi IQ just does a lot better in hot ground because Minelab has been able to really speed up the signal processing when compared to FBS technology.

Two of my hunting buddies are longtime CTX 3030 users and both have moved over to the Equinox for most of there really tough mineralization hunting and save the CTX for milder ground.

JMACLEN, great info. Interesting to hear some seasoned users prefer the Nox in AZ due to our hot ground. Good info that Multi-IQ does better in hot ground, and agreed, I wasn't a fan of the Deus as well. Thanks for the feedback!

I bought the equinox 800 over years ago and never looked back. I sold my ctx and etrac shortly after using the 800. They were just collecting dust. I have used a lot of other machines and always go back to my 800.

I have many videos using my equinox on my channel and I give my settings along with tips I have learned along the way. Here is a video comparing some signals with CTX and Equinox.

https://youtu.be/nJrvvrgAvKA

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom