Disappointed in my Gray Ghost headphones...

Happa54

Forum Supporter
I have been using earbuds for about a year now. Bose stereo at $130.
They are made to fit right into the ear and do not fall out. They are awesome.

The reason I mention this is that I now have 3 sets of headphones. The most recent are the Gray Ghost Ultimate.

The tones in my G.G. headphones are not identical to the machine in audio (speaker only) and I'm confused with what I'm hearing. The Bose however are identical in the tones to the machine in audio and the signals are extremely clear and loud.

A few months back I even spent $250 in a wireless set up but the signals were slightly delayed in coming back in to the processor so I returned them.

I've been going back and forth with this but nothing seems to be better than the Bose for quality of tones.

My only recourse is to hang with the G.G's and retrain my ears.

Just my experience and wanted to share for your feedback.

Thanks for checking in and HH.

I've often said...

The best audio phones are going most likely be ones made for music, the range of frequency in music is far greater than any detector's tones....

We need waterproof durable phones, but Dre's Beats, will sound far better..

<°)))>{

This is an Audio Primary Sport...Everybody hears things at different levels...I would certainly stress to any noob to take the time to find a set of phones that their ears understand and have tones that are 'pleasing' to them..

Its a wonder the phone mfgs dont have vids so a guy can hear the different sounds on the different rigs that their phones generate?...Like 'heres what they sound like on a Tesoro, heres what the sound like on a Minelab', etc...I got lucky as a noob by asking questions.....the GG NdT's on my F70 are absolutely perfect as far as my ears are concerned!...they might not be on a Minelab, or they might not be any good on another guys F70...Ears are sensitive, and no two people hear things the same way......I dont know...

I've often said...

The best audio phones are going most likely be ones made for music, the range of frequency in music is far greater than any detector's tones....

We need waterproof durable phones, but Dre's Beats, will sound far better..

<°)))>{

This makes sense. I've not tried Beats but I'm sure they are inline in sound and quality as the Bose.

SunRay Pro Golds, I use them on all my units

I'm afraid to venture off into another set of headphones. This will make 4 for me since Jan of this year.

I bought one set of grey ghosts.
And wil be my last!!!

Tone pitch stinks out of them.

Gave them away.

I was disappointed in the way the tones came back to me which was not all like the machine in audio.

This is an Audio Primary Sport...Everybody hears things at different levels...I would certainly stress to any noob to take the time to find a set of phones that their ears understand and have tones that are 'pleasing' to them..

Its a wonder the phone mfgs dont have vids so a guy can hear the different sounds on the different rigs that their phones generate?...Like 'heres what they sound like on a Tesoro, heres what the sound like on a Minelab', etc...I got lucky as a noob by asking questions.....the GG NdT's on my F70 are absolutely perfect as far as my ears are concerned!...they might not be on a Minelab, or they might not be any good on another guys F70...Ears are sensitive, and no two people hear things the same way......I dont know...

You have a good point here. Maybe, if I would've started out with the Gray Ghosts I may not be having the audio issues since my ears are now trained on the Bose earbuds. But then, the Bose puts out identical tones that I hear coming out of my ML Safari... and thus far, no other matches the tones coming from the Bose.

The reason I gravitated to the earbuds is because our summers here in Los Angeles are hot and I sweat like a sow. I wear a headband in the warm months because the sweat and headphones would only add to the discomfort.

Only 4 sets?! I have at least a dozen on hand at any given time LOL!
I like different headphones for different reasons, I have always like the Koss UR30's, they are comfortable and give good overall sound and tone on most my machines.
I used to really like the Auvio 33-283 wireless headphones until I started to venture off on other brand wireless. I still like them but use them much less frequently.
I have found most of the Grey Ghost headphones not only uncomfortable but lacking in sound quality. They are built very rugged but also have a rugged sound to them to match. The only pairs of these I own are the amphibians for my AT Pro and CTX3030.
I heard great things about the SunRay Pro Golds and gave them a shot, I was blown away by the sound! I mean it was not a heavenly sound but rather a consistent, comfortable sound. having the stereo/mono switch as well as the ability to mute so you can hear your pin pointer while digging the target is icing on the cake.
I liked them so much I bought a second pair and then came across a great deal on a 3rd pair! The only word of caution is they tend to fail at the input jack eventually. I always keep a couple high quality 1/4" 90 degree stereo headphone jacks on hand just in case.

I see you have an Impact.I find mine to be underpowered in the audio volume department but very good tones. I only hunt for nuggets in very highly mineralised soil.I was under the impression the Grey Ghost and Nugget busters are the best for this to pick up the faint ghost signals for finding nuggets and they are made for gold prospecting.Does the quality of the tones with other headphones matter if they can't pick up a nugget signal?However I do not think a pair will suit the Impact as they only made for American detectors.In that regard your information could prove invaluable.Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom