garrett apex or simplex

Everyone has an opinion.
Simplex fully waterproof to 10 ft. Apex and Vanquish not.
Simplex is chatty and pretty good in iron. It has decent beach setting but goes crazy on wet salty sand.
Vanquish is ok in iron with the horseshoe button and good on wet salty sand.
The iron tests I have seen with the Apex didn't impress me for the price. The features except for the multi frequency are about the same as an Ace 400 which in my opinion is better in iron.
Depends on where and what you're hunting for. How much do you want to spend.
I went with the Simplex.

I have tested both machines and the simplex is much better IMO. I have some videos on my youtube channel comparing them.

bigsteve: said:
which one would you choose. thanks
I just posted this reply to your same question on a different Forum:

"Insert Name' You didn't describe the uses for a new-to-you detector, but by your handle it would suggest you're into urban Coin Hunting. Since late '71/'72 I have always maintained at least two or three detectors in my personal outfit, and usually more than that. I like to have a complement of models and coil for different applications and site challenges. In answer to your question I have one Minelab, one older White's favorite, my two favorite Tesoro's and two relic Hunting tough iron Nokta detectors plus one Fisher. As for the two models you asked about the reference to 'two' is fitting because I own and use 2 Apex and 2 Simplex + units.

I don't swim nor live close to an active beach, but I have been caught in some showers and for those I like the waterproof Simplex +. The standard 11" DD o the Simplex + works well, but my main-use coil is on my regular-carry Simplex + and that is the 5X9½ DD. The Apex came with the only coil available, then, and that's the 6X11 DD which, to my surprise, has been working pretty well. However new coils were announced and I'll bet their 5X8 'Ripper' DD is going to be my regular-carry, main-use coil. My other Apex is going to likely keep either the 8½X11 'Raider' coil at-the-ready or the 5" DD from NEL. I'll have to get those coils and give them a fair workout in some challenging sites to know, but one of those will likely complement the Garrett 5X8 'Ripper.'

Since I own and use both the detectors you asked about, they both are working well and I have no desire to part with either of them. Thee's no 'perfect' detector so I just enjoy the strengths of any detector I have in my Daily-Use Team that travel with me. If you have specific questions regarding both or either of those models it would be easier for readers to offer up some help.

Monte
"

Now I'll add a little. I have a Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack and for what it is and can do in Multi-IQ and using the 5X8 DD I really like it, also, and it stays in my Daily-Use Team that travel with me. In the past couple of weeks I also added a brand new Fisher F5, mounted a 7" Concentric coil, and it is going to have a good 'fit' in my detector group for a lot of urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting.

It also does some things that many other makes and models don't do, both in performance and a useful, functional dual-mode Ground Balance. Of the visual TID models that travel in my vehicle, I have been using my Apex the most followed closely by the Simplex +. The V-540 came next. In the upcoming hunts I'll work with the F5 more and see how all of them blend-in for the bulk of my hunt sites.

When I get some of the available coils for the Apex it will have some advantages of a smaller-size coil (both the NEL Sharp 5" and Snake) that are not available for the Simplex + or Vanquish 540.

Just some thoughts and I encourage you, or anyone, to try and find a dealer or someone close by with any model of interest and try to check it out.

Monte

I am not sure if you've considered a Vanquish as others have stated, but I certainly would give it a look. I have a Simplex and a Vanquish. The Simplex is a great detector overall, but can be chatty in certain situations. I have never used it on the beach so I cannot comment on it's performance there. I've found that the Simplex behaves much better with the 9.5 x 5 coil and IMO is a must if you will be hunting any trashy areas. The Vanquish is excellent on saltwater beaches and also very good on freshwater beaches. It is simple to use, and very stable. I have also found that using the V8 coil helps pick out targets in high trash areas, but I think it beats the Simplex when both running the larger stock coils. One thing I have grown to like about the Vanquish is the layout of the controls. Having the pinpoint and horse shoe buttons side by side is perfect. Having to switch modes on the Simplex is a bit more cumbersome. I enjoy hunting with both of them and would not discourage either as a candidate.

Good luck with the new detector. Hope you find silver or gold in your first hole.

Ken

i went with the simplex thanks
Good choice, and if you didn't get an accessory coil yet, I'd suggest the 5X9½ DD.

Put in the time to learn the Simplex +, get your desired settings adjusted and saved, and I am certain you're going to enjoy that detector. I know I do.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom