Update: EXTRA RARE, EXTRA LARGE CC ends 5 year drought

Big congrats on a super valuable coin.
It looks like the 1885cc has only 228000 minted while the 1889cc has 350000 minted. Why would the 1889cc be worth so much more according to the Red book and the Blue book?

From what I understand most of them were melted. Estimates I've read are 20,000 to 70,000 that were not melted.

That's awesome Keith and glad to see you're out hunting. I know it's tough up in your area, but you seem to find some really nice stuff. Congrats and can't wait to see how it grades. Congrats!

Congratulations on the fantastic find. Most of us could only dream of such a thing. BTW, Both PCGS and NGC offer a restoration service that might benefit this coin. No guarantees, but it might be a worthwhile option. The coin looks like it has incredible detail.

Very cool coin you found. Back in my numismatic days that was one of the most common counterfeit coins out there due to the staggered grade values. The history part is intriguing to me. How do you think the coin got there and why so deep (14") ? What drew you to this location thing good finds could be there over the years ? I'm happy for you that you stuck with it.

Man it's like it's cc week around here :pirate2:

Congratulations !

Morgan is still a bucket lister for me.

Very cool coin you found. Back in my numismatic days that was one of the most common counterfeit coins out there due to the staggered grade values. The history part is intriguing to me. How do you think the coin got there and why so deep (14") ? What drew you to this location thing good finds could be there over the years ? I'm happy for you that you stuck with it.

I Think the site was a popular hunting spot or target shooting spot. I have found tons of old shotgun head stamps there over the years and it was just on the outskirts of town. The soil is very loose and sandy so I think that explains the depth. Found a seated dime there a few years ago at about 9 or 10 inches. The first time I hunted this site I found a 1874 CC half in about uncirculated condition and I know of a couple other good coins coming from the site. It's been good over the years, but it's all gone now unfortunately.

Man what a find! Even though it could not be graded that is a find of a lifetime in my book.

What is truly heartbreaking is that the site is being developed, paved, and anything left behind will be trapped underneath for probably a long long time.

Maybe they will haul off the ground to another site and dump it for more detecting?

For some reason I have yet to find a silver dollar. That thing looks like a nice addition to any collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow man, thats a helluva dig. I bet you could still get a pretty penny for that online. Usually they come back saying enviromental damage. They wouldnt slab it like that with the details listed?

Back
Top Bottom