Simple Equinox Counterweight Mod Using Your Clad!

AllMetalDan

So after using my Equinox 800 at the beach and park hunting last weekend, my body was feeling it. My wrist, forearms, and even collarbone were sore. I figured I needed a counterweight for my shaft but since I don’t feel like spending any more money on this machine, I decided to use stuff that I already have at home. So without further ado, here’s my simple mod.

You’ll need:

2 rolls of quarters
Duct tape
3-5 zip ties

Wrap each roll of quarters with duct tape so that the ends are covered. Then duct tape the two rolls together. Hold the combined rolls underneath the end of the upper shaft and secure with them with zip ties.

That’s it! Now I know some people have longer arms so you may not have as much room at the end of the upper shaft. Feel free to mod it to accommodate your needs. The two rolls of quarters add about 1lb of counterweight. Add as many coins as you like until it’s perfectly balanced for you.

Enjoy!
2d87fdaa83605c819ba6f99e38b059e7.jpg

8bb33c30ad1c599330784ce83ba777af.jpg

b8ae52aed6f371b4f2f3212c5125a0f4.jpg

3fb51c58729dbd601cc85f71accb00c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So technically, you didn't "spend" the twenty dollars to make this, but still; that's twenty dollars! Clever mod though. A counter weight does help reduce some of the ergonomic strain. You could reduce strain even more if you put a strap on the cuff.
Handy little emergency fund stash there.

So technically, you didn't "spend" the twenty dollars to make this, but still; that's twenty dollars! Clever mod though. A counter weight does help reduce some of the ergonomic strain.
Handy little emergency fund stash there.

I think three rolls would be the perfect weight but I’ll stick with the two for now. Still need to test it out in the field for a couple of hours.

For what it's worth, haha, rolls of nickels are almost as heavy as quarters (200 vs 227g) and obviously less "invested." No help if you need to do laundry, though.

For what it's worth, haha, rolls of nickels are almost as heavy as quarters (200 vs 227g) and obviously less "invested." No help if you need to do laundry, though.

Haha nice pun. I couldn’t find my scale so I couldn’t compare. lol That’s good information though. Lead sinkers or a small box of BBs would also do the trick.

I had a High standard semi-auto shotgun that was muzzle heavy. I filled a brass shotgun shell with lead and removed the butt plate and placed it in the hole for the stock screw. While adding weight to the shotgun, it balanced out better and felt a lot lighter.

I had a High standard semi-auto shotgun that was muzzle heavy. I filled a brass shotgun shell with lead and removed the butt plate and placed it in the hole for the stock screw. While adding weight to the shotgun, it balanced out better and felt a lot lighter.

Nice. I’m not sure why they designed the Equinox like that. It’s unbalanced and gripping the handle for even an hour is a real wrist killer. I’m now using a backpack and a bungee cord to make detecting with the machine even easier.

I'm going to get a metal pipe from home depo or something and get some pinewood derby lead weights into it, then use the screw that came with the nox.

Pinewood derby cars are another hobby of mine, those weights work.

Back
Top Bottom